(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:47 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Re: Advice for leaving a 2-year fellowship that didn't go as promised

Postby zot1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:59 pm

Curious as to what the contract actually says. Barring that I would just say leave. Some bridges are worth burning.

Anonymous User

Re: Advice for leaving a 2-year fellowship that didn't go as promised

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:45 pm

I think I'm in this program, does it start with an E? Don't answer that if you don't want to. Regardless, the program I'm in is pretty much exactly the same, and although I've had a good experience with my placement, I know a ton of people in my year that are or were in the same exact position you are in. I think the people coordinating this fellowship really wind up fucking over a lot of people because they see this as an opportunity to "work in State government" rather than an opportunity to practice in an area of law you're interested in.

All of that being said, definitely continue to be persistent about getting substantive legal experience at your agency, but at the same time start looking around. If employers are concerned about why you're leaving early it's a perfectly valid excuse to say that the fellowship wasn't what you expected and you want more experience. And don't worry about burning bridges; you've already made it clear to your supervisors that you're not getting the experience you want, and if they can't provide that for you, you have to look out for yourself. These early years of practice are too precious to waste on bs work.

Oh and one more thing, you signed a contract?? I really think we're in the same program and I absolutely did not sign a contract, it's just a two year appointment. In fact, there were 2 fellows who were a year ahead of me at my agency and they both left before 2 years (one of them left after like 6 months)

Return to “Legal Employment�