Presidential Management Fellowships (PMF) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HeyThairDuhLieLuh

New

Presidential Management Fellowships (PMF)

Post by HeyThairDuhLieLuh » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:12 pm

Due Thursday at 11:59 EST on USAJobs.

Anyone planning on applying?
Last edited by HeyThairDuhLieLuh on Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ndp1234

Bronze

Re: Presidential Management Fellowships (PMF)

Post by ndp1234 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:28 pm

Applied last year, but didn't make it. They tend to favor DC schools and non-attorneys (because it is not a direct route to an attorney position and they want applicants to understand this). If you're more into the policy aspect and don't necessarily want to practice law, it's a good option.

However, if you want to have a legal position doing legal work, I would recommend any one of the various Honors Attorney programs for fed gov.

FYI: If you want to apply, start your application early! The application is long and has these videos that you have to watch and decide how you would react to the situations in the videos. The application site also is known to crash the hours before the app is due.

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:35 pm

ndp1234 wrote:Applied last year, but didn't make it. They tend to favor DC schools and non-attorneys (because it is not a direct route to an attorney position and they want applicants to understand this). If you're more into the policy aspect and don't necessarily want to practice law, it's a good option.

However, if you want to have a legal position doing legal work, I would recommend any one of the various Honors Attorney programs for fed gov.

FYI: If you want to apply, start your application early! The application is long and has these videos that you have to watch and decide how you would react to the situations in the videos. The application site also is known to crash the hours before the app is due.

I'm guessing since you applied you would know the answer to this. What exactly is policy work?

Also to OP, I'm applying. Haven't started the assessment questions yet but I hear it takes a couple hours.

ndp1234

Bronze

Post by ndp1234 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:08 pm

I had talked to someone who was a selected PMF fellow at one of the fed agencies I interned at while I was applying. IIRC, the policy work was mostly technical research/writing, data collection, GIS mapping, things of that nature. (The agency did environmental policy among other issue areas)

As another example, I do recall that someone who was a finalist from my law school said that he writes speeches for the public affairs/press office for one of the agencies.

I personally am tied to practicing legal work because my law school experience and everything I had to do to get myself through law school was more difficult than the average person due to my background and my particular family/home situation.

My desire to practice probably came out in my application, so I would try to focus on why you want to do policy work over legal work.

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:20 pm

Anyone complete their application yet?

I don't see a submit button. Just to make sure, after we complete Steps 1-7, we don't need to submit right? It's automatically submitted after application ends... is that correct?

edit: seems like there is no separate submit button (step 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:19 pm

Missed this thread until now, but I applied too. Now we wait
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:58 pm

They haven't sent the emails yet for some reason, but the finalist selections were made and can be found on the website.

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They haven't sent the emails yet for some reason, but the finalist selections were made and can be found on the website.
whoo didn't make the cut but also didn't want to work in DC/east coast

Weird how they didn't email us though. Oh well. Good luck to everyone else

blueapple

Silver

Post removed...

Post by blueapple » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Post removed...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”