Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
squishylawstudent321

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:39 pm

Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby squishylawstudent321 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:12 pm

I'm a 1L at an Appalachian law school (it's not super highly ranked, but also not totally in the cellar), and I think my numbers should end up placing me in the upper-echelon of my peers. So naturally I've started to canvass the firms in Pittsburgh, and I couldn't help but notice the very large, red building with "K&L Gates" emblazoned upon it. It seems impressive; it reminds me a lot of the law firm of Cooperman McBride in Amazon's hit show, "Goliath." Such a great show, no?

So, anyway, here's my question: is this firm as legitimate as it seems? Should I use one of my bids for it? Or should I shit my focus to other opportunities? I'm trying not to mess this up.

User outed for trolling.

drs36

Bronze
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby drs36 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:46 pm

Is this real?

In the event that it is, yes, K&L is a top shop in Pittsburgh. No offense, but K&L is very, very unlikely to consider someone from Appalachian law school, even with stellar grades. 1L SAs are typically reserved for diversity programs, as well. If you don't have that going for you, you're definitely out of luck. Does not hurt to apply, though.

You should probably get a better grasp of the legal market.

Good luck.

FSK

Platinum
Posts: 8056
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby FSK » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:49 pm

Pittsburgh big law generally takes Magna from Duq/Pitt and T14, this is flame

grades??

Silver
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby grades?? » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:05 pm

9/10 flame, didn't get 10/10 because I have no idea what the reference between Appalachia and Pittsburg is, but that might be my ignorance.

squishylawstudent321

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:39 pm

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby squishylawstudent321 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L at an Appalachian law school (it's not super highly ranked, but also not totally in the cellar), and I think my numbers should end up placing me in the upper-echelon of my peers. So naturally I've started to canvass the firms in Pittsburgh, and I couldn't help but notice the very large, red building with "K&L Gates" emblazoned upon it. It seems impressive; it reminds me a lot of the law firm of Cooperman McBride in Amazon's hit show, "Goliath." Such a great show, no?

So, anyway, here's my question: is this firm as legitimate as it seems? Should I use one of my bids for it? Or should I shift my focus to other opportunities? I'm trying not to mess this up.


Folks, reading comprehension is important in the law (or so I've heard from my 1L professors). I plainly said I attend "an Appalachian law school," meaning that I could be enrolled at any law school situated in the Appalachian mountain range, which includes states such as Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, etc. So the idea that my school and its ranking would automatically disqualify me from an SA in the Paris of Appalachia is largely incorrect.

Now that we've settled that matter, let's talk more about the merits of K&L Gates as a going concern. Should I use one of my bids? Is it worthy of that commitment from me? Or is it one of those firms that cares not about its young associates? Is the work environment at K&L Gates more or less chill than the work environment at Cooperman McBride, as portrayed in "Goliath"?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 312851
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L at an Appalachian law school (it's not super highly ranked, but also not totally in the cellar), and I think my numbers should end up placing me in the upper-echelon of my peers. So naturally I've started to canvass the firms in Pittsburgh, and I couldn't help but notice the very large, red building with "K&L Gates" emblazoned upon it. It seems impressive; it reminds me a lot of the law firm of Cooperman McBride in Amazon's hit show, "Goliath." Such a great show, no?

So, anyway, here's my question: is this firm as legitimate as it seems? Should I use one of my bids for it? Or should I shift my focus to other opportunities? I'm trying not to mess this up.


Folks, reading comprehension is important in the law (or so I've heard from my 1L professors). I plainly said I attend "an Appalachian law school," meaning that I could be enrolled at any law school situated in the Appalachian mountain range, which includes states such as Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, etc. So the idea that my school and its ranking would automatically disqualify me from an SA in the Paris of Appalachia is largely incorrect.

Now that we've settled that matter, let's talk more about the merits of K&L Gates as a going concern. Should I use one of my bids? Is it worthy of that commitment from me? Or is it one of those firms that cares not about its young associates? Is the work environment at K&L Gates more or less chill than the work environment at Cooperman McBride, as portrayed in "Goliath."


Amazing. I'm from Pittsburgh so I can help, though this does sound flame. To be honest I have never heard Appalachia described like this, nor as Pittsburgh the crown jewel of it, but I digress.

K&L is a huge firm and is HQ'd in Pittsburgh. But I know they have no offered summers in the past few years. I also know folks there that declined offers because they didn't like it. I can't say I have heard the best things from K&L but I cannot compare it to Goliath since I have never seen that show. Best of luck, though as other posters said the vast majority of Pittsburgh big lawyers are made up of top Pitt/Duquesne grads and T14 ppl with ties.

User avatar
Mullens

Silver
Posts: 1044
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby Mullens » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L at an Appalachian law school (it's not super highly ranked, but also not totally in the cellar), and I think my numbers should end up placing me in the upper-echelon of my peers. So naturally I've started to canvass the firms in Pittsburgh, and I couldn't help but notice the very large, red building with "K&L Gates" emblazoned upon it. It seems impressive; it reminds me a lot of the law firm of Cooperman McBride in Amazon's hit show, "Goliath." Such a great show, no?

So, anyway, here's my question: is this firm as legitimate as it seems? Should I use one of my bids for it? Or should I shift my focus to other opportunities? I'm trying not to mess this up.


Folks, reading comprehension is important in the law (or so I've heard from my 1L professors). I plainly said I attend "an Appalachian law school," meaning that I could be enrolled at any law school situated in the Appalachian mountain range, which includes states such as Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, etc. So the idea that my school and its ranking would automatically disqualify me from an SA in the Paris of Appalachia is largely incorrect.

Now that we've settled that matter, let's talk more about the merits of K&L Gates as a going concern. Should I use one of my bids? Is it worthy of that commitment from me? Or is it one of those firms that cares not about its young associates? Is the work environment at K&L Gates more or less chill than the work environment at Cooperman McBride, as portrayed in "Goliath."


Don't waste your bid. You deserve to only work at a V1 firm like Cravath Swaine & Moore and you should not settle for anything less.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:16 am

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby foregetaboutdre » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:35 pm

I actually lol'ed at "the Paris of Appalachia"

Anyways, I know some Ohio State students working in Pitt too so you have competition there as well.

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1678
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:57 pm

Lol at Pennsylvania being described as a part of appalachia

Anonymous User
Posts: 312851
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L at an Appalachian law school (it's not super highly ranked, but also not totally in the cellar), and I think my numbers should end up placing me in the upper-echelon of my peers. So naturally I've started to canvass the firms in Pittsburgh, and I couldn't help but notice the very large, red building with "K&L Gates" emblazoned upon it. It seems impressive; it reminds me a lot of the law firm of Cooperman McBride in Amazon's hit show, "Goliath." Such a great show, no?

So, anyway, here's my question: is this firm as legitimate as it seems? Should I use one of my bids for it? Or should I shift my focus to other opportunities? I'm trying not to mess this up.


Folks, reading comprehension is important in the law (or so I've heard from my 1L professors). I plainly said I attend "an Appalachian law school," meaning that I could be enrolled at any law school situated in the Appalachian mountain range, which includes states such as Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, etc. So the idea that my school and its ranking would automatically disqualify me from an SA in the Paris of Appalachia is largely incorrect.

Now that we've settled that matter, let's talk more about the merits of K&L Gates as a going concern. Should I use one of my bids? Is it worthy of that commitment from me? Or is it one of those firms that cares not about its young associates? Is the work environment at K&L Gates more or less chill than the work environment at Cooperman McBride, as portrayed in "Goliath."


Amazing. I'm from Pittsburgh so I can help, though this does sound flame. To be honest I have never heard Appalachia described like this, nor as Pittsburgh the crown jewel of it, but I digress.

K&L is a huge firm and is HQ'd in Pittsburgh. But I know they have no offered summers in the past few years. I also know folks there that declined offers because they didn't like it. I can't say I have heard the best things from K&L but I cannot compare it to Goliath since I have never seen that show. Best of luck, though as other posters said the vast majority of Pittsburgh big lawyers are made up of top Pitt/Duquesne grads and T14 ppl with ties.


With regards to the no offered SAs, is there any evidence that K&L was justified in making those decisions? Or is K&L the type of shop that no-offers on a quota basis, sort of like our immigration system? Put another way, were these good SAs whom unfortunately wound up at a less than peer firm and then faced the music through no fault of their own?

Anonymous User
Posts: 312851
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:59 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Lol at Pennsylvania being described as a part of appalachia


http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/bri ... 1112080418

And you were saying?

grades??

Silver
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby grades?? » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Again, still troll, but now with your insistence has gone from a 9/10 to 6.5/10

cdelgado

Bronze
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:01 am

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby cdelgado » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:57 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Lol at Pennsylvania being described as a part of appalachia

Pittsburgh is definitely in the Appalachian region.

Anonymous User
Posts: 312851
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:29 pm

If you want to live in Pittsburgh for the rest of your life, go for it. There's also Reed Smith and some big Philly firms with offices out there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 312851
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you want to live in Pittsburgh for the rest of your life, go for it. There's also Reed Smith and some big Philly firms with offices out there.


This is hearsay, obviously, but I've heard some less than stellar things about RS and KLG. I think neither of those firms cares that much about achieving growth organically by investing in its young associates. Rather, they seem content to defend their waning market share with lateral transfers and wholesale mergers with non-peer firms in far off locales, such as Australia. All of this in a charade to convince the market that they are, in fact, peer firms based on global presence alone. I could be wrong, but I think most well-heeled clients are smart enough to see through these gimmicks, and others, of KLG and RS.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:56 pm

Okay, but the real question is, is the OP in a position to pick and choose? It's not like Pittsburgh is a legal market with so many open positions, or a "not highly ranked" regional law school provides so many opportunities, that someone in that position should be ruling firms out at this point. Especially given that this is for the semi-mythical 1L SA which people are generally lucky to get at all, even at many top schools.

(This is why people are calling you a troll/you could be a troll, OP, by the way.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 312851
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:02 pm

I don't know of any 1L SA associate positions at biglaw firms in Pittsburgh. There might be one at Cohen & Grigsby. I don't even think the mid-market firms like Buchanan Ingersoll and Meyer Unkovic hire 1L summers.

You're better off trying to secure an internship with a federal judge.

Anonymous User
Posts: 312851
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know of any 1L SA associate positions at biglaw firms in Pittsburgh. There might be one at Cohen & Grigsby. I don't even think the mid-market firms like Buchanan Ingersoll and Meyer Unkovic hire 1L summers.

You're better off trying to secure an internship with a federal judge.


Jones Day has one 1L position. Last two were from Chicago and Columbia

squishylawstudent321

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:39 pm

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby squishylawstudent321 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:14 pm

Our young friend, who almost certainly is a troll, would do well to learn that the average run-of-the-mill law school, let alone one situated in Appalachia, does not produce the type of legal minds desired by the K&L Gateses of the world (even though I'd happily argue that K&L has never been and never will be a peer firm when it comes to Vault rankings and preftige).

Similarly, If the OP is truly concerned about Cooperman McBride, s/he should look west to California. There are many good firms out there, which, like Cooperman, have chosen to plaster much of their office spaces with rare, imported marbles and have gone to great lengths to recruit and retain many, many of the so-called Dime Pieces. California would probably lend itself to better tanning opportunities as well--a point that is often forgotten by fledgling law students, especially those who study in the Northeast. This may come as a surprise, but many a client has been secured by a confident woman with a great tan and an even better Cartier. I trust you are taking notes, OP. I know I'd be.

Anonymous User
Posts: 312851
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't know of any 1L SA associate positions at biglaw firms in Pittsburgh. There might be one at Cohen & Grigsby. I don't even think the mid-market firms like Buchanan Ingersoll and Meyer Unkovic hire 1L summers.

You're better off trying to secure an internship with a federal judge.


Jones Day has one 1L position. Last two were from Chicago and Columbia

:roll:

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:50 pm

squishylawstudent321 wrote:Our young friend, who almost certainly is a troll, would do well to learn that the average run-of-the-mill law school, let alone one situated in Appalachia, does not produce the type of legal minds desired by the K&L Gateses of the world (even though I'd happily argue that K&L has never been and never will be a peer firm when it comes to Vault rankings and preftige).

Similarly, If the OP is truly concerned about Cooperman McBride, s/he should look west to California. There are many good firms out there, which, like Cooperman, have chosen to plaster much of their office spaces with rare, imported marbles and have gone to great lengths to recruit and retain many, many of the so-called Dime Pieces. California would probably lend itself to better tanning opportunities as well--a point that is often forgotten by fledgling law students, especially those who study in the Northeast. This may come as a surprise, but many a client has been secured by a confident woman with a great tan and an even better Cartier. I trust you are taking notes, OP. I know I'd be.

Dude, why the fuck are you talking about yourself in the 3rd person when you are the OP? Don't troll.

grades??

Silver
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby grades?? » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:57 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
squishylawstudent321 wrote:Our young friend, who almost certainly is a troll, would do well to learn that the average run-of-the-mill law school, let alone one situated in Appalachia, does not produce the type of legal minds desired by the K&L Gateses of the world (even though I'd happily argue that K&L has never been and never will be a peer firm when it comes to Vault rankings and preftige).

Similarly, If the OP is truly concerned about Cooperman McBride, s/he should look west to California. There are many good firms out there, which, like Cooperman, have chosen to plaster much of their office spaces with rare, imported marbles and have gone to great lengths to recruit and retain many, many of the so-called Dime Pieces. California would probably lend itself to better tanning opportunities as well--a point that is often forgotten by fledgling law students, especially those who study in the Northeast. This may come as a surprise, but many a client has been secured by a confident woman with a great tan and an even better Cartier. I trust you are taking notes, OP. I know I'd be.

Dude, why the fuck are you talking about yourself in the 3rd person when you are the OP? Don't troll.


Get rekt

User avatar
UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:24 pm

Come back when you have actual numbers and not some worthless mid term grades then we could tell you if you have a shot at a job there as a WVU student.

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby zot1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:11 pm

squishylawstudent321 wrote:Our young friend, who almost certainly is a troll, would do well to learn that the average run-of-the-mill law school, let alone one situated in Appalachia, does not produce the type of legal minds desired by the K&L Gateses of the world (even though I'd happily argue that K&L has never been and never will be a peer firm when it comes to Vault rankings and preftige).

Similarly, If the OP is truly concerned about Cooperman McBride, s/he should look west to California. There are many good firms out there, which, like Cooperman, have chosen to plaster much of their office spaces with rare, imported marbles and have gone to great lengths to recruit and retain many, many of the so-called Dime Pieces. California would probably lend itself to better tanning opportunities as well--a point that is often forgotten by fledgling law students, especially those who study in the Northeast. This may come as a surprise, but many a client has been secured by a confident woman with a great tan and an even better Cartier. I trust you are taking notes, OP. I know I'd be.


At least make your trolling interesting or something.

squishylawstudent321

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:39 pm

Re: Spring OCI Question (Pittsburgh)

Postby squishylawstudent321 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:46 pm

Dang, I would have thought the mods around here would mind their own God Damned business. I guess not.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.