Notifying Firm of Depature

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Notifying Firm of Depature

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:32 pm

I am lateraling and my new firm wants me to start beginning of 2017. I plan on letting my firm know Dec 9. I assume this is enough time?

One thing I wanted some input on is leaving when you are on a large deal with a small team. I'm at a satellite office so a lot of what I have read is not applicable. I'm the only junior associate on the deal.

Also, should I expect my firm to just let me leave immediately or do you think they will want me to stay until end of year? Don't know what is standard. Other than this deal I'm not on anything pressing. Deal is trying to close like mid/end Dec.

Toni V

Bronze

Re: Notifying Firm of Depature

Postby Toni V » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:48 pm

I’m assuming you have your bonus payment worked out. Where are you in the lateral process? Have your conflicts been cleared….if not, chances of a 2017 start are iffy.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:54 pm

Yeah dude, figure out when bonus will be paid and make sure you stick it out til then.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:13 pm

OP -It's a done deal. Already passed conflicts and signed the offer letter. Hours are too low so I'm not getting a bonus.

Really I'm concerned about amount of time I need to give my firm, whether they would want me to stick around and leaving at a critical time in the deal when I'm the only junior (doing all the diligence).

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:18 pm

Two weeks is the standard notice period. They can't force you to continue to work. If you feel bad about the deal closing, stay on until it closes and/or January 1. Really up to you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:58 pm

Do firms typically have you ride out those last few weeks or do they usually just say you are fine to leave now? Obv it's my choice but don't want to burn bridge and would ride out the last few weeks if needed.

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Give them the option - "I'm happy to continue on for the next couple of weeks to help transition my work to others on the team, but I also understand if you would prefer a clean break and will handle transitioning matters. If you prefer to handle the transition without me, I will make myself available for anyone with any questions about the status of pending matters."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:28 pm

You're likely an at-will employee. They could fire you tomorrow. Two weeks is ample and given in good faith. My guess is that you'll be asked to get your files organized and possibly participate in an exit interview but they will otherwise extricate you quickly from any ongoing transactions and let you ride out the last few weeks writing some tangential memos while keeping you far from any clients. Particularly since we are getting close to the holiday law firm ghost town period, they may also just shake your hand and say adios.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:04 pm

Junior in a sattelite office as well, looking to lateral soon, just wondering since you mentioned your hours are not good enough to get bonus, did your new firm ask about your hours during the interview or in some sort of questionnaire? how did you address it? Thanks.

h2go

Bronze

Postby h2go » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Junior in a sattelite office as well, looking to lateral soon, just wondering since you mentioned your hours are not good enough to get bonus, did your new firm ask about your hours during the interview or in some sort of questionnaire? how did you address it? Thanks.

This isn't something that is going to be verified. You can just say something vague like you're on track to meet the minimum billable requirement.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Junior in a sattelite office as well, looking to lateral soon, just wondering since you mentioned your hours are not good enough to get bonus, did your new firm ask about your hours during the interview or in some sort of questionnaire? how did you address it? Thanks.

OP here. It did not come up.

So it sounds like the consensus is that it's up in the air on whether the firm will want me to hang around or just leave and that it's not some huge deal/bridge burning event if I leave while staffed on a deal closing soon/only junior.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. It did not come up.

So it sounds like the consensus is that it's up in the air on whether the firm will want me to hang around or just leave and that it's not some huge deal/bridge burning event if I leave while staffed on a deal closing soon/only junior.

Quoted anon here. Thanks! How long did the conflict check take for you? Honestly I don't think there's much for junior to do after due diligence is done, all ancillary documents can be drafted by mid-lvls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:17 am

Prepare a detailed transfer memo of each item you're working on and place them in the file. Make at least a 2 week notice politely and play it by ear.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:20 am

If you give two weeks notice and then they ask you to just leave that day/tomorrow or whatever, does that mean you'd miss 2 weeks of pay though? What's normal?

jarofsoup

Gold

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:10 am

Give them two weeks max. Take two for yourself. Enjoy the new job.

If you have your references fuck the old firm. Don't be considerate it this industry just act in your self interest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:01 pm

There are a lot of people in this thread saying the firm will ask this person leave immediately or that the person ask if the firm prefer they leave immediately. This will not happen and I have no idea what kind of firms people here have worked at. Give your two weeks notice and leave in two weeks. Everyone will be fine with this and it happens all the time.

As an aside, we place a lot of self-importance on our role at the firm. In reality, we are nothing more to the firm than automated billing units. Your departure from the firm is no different than an air conditioner or any other piece of capital breaking. They will either live without it or call someone to locate a new one. In the world in which partnership has basically died as a concept, everyone leaves at some point. I'm not telling you this to be negative, I am telling you this because you will be shocked at how little anyone cares when you depart. It will be totally painless. Good luck at the new gig!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There are a lot of people in this thread saying the firm will ask this person leave immediately or that the person ask if the firm prefer they leave immediately. This will not happen and I have no idea what kind of firms people here have worked at. Give your two weeks notice and leave in two weeks. Everyone will be fine with this and it happens all the time.

As an aside, we place a lot of self-importance on our role at the firm. In reality, we are nothing more to the firm than automated billing units. Your departure from the firm is no different than an air conditioner or any other piece of capital breaking. They will either live without it or call someone to locate a new one. In the world in which partnership has basically died as a concept, everyone leaves at some point. I'm not telling you this to be negative, I am telling you this because you will be shocked at how little anyone cares when you depart. It will be totally painless. Good luck at the new gig!

No doubt I know my role (its why, among other things, I'm getting out of biglaw). Just trying to anticipate what will happen, especially given its the holiday and I'm obviously mentally checked out. I would imagine if they want me to ride out the last few weeks they will take me off the large deal I'm on. Can't imagine they would trust that I'm still giving 110% when they are trying to close something. I imagine it would largely be logistical/administrative time in the office before I leave.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There are a lot of people in this thread saying the firm will ask this person leave immediately or that the person ask if the firm prefer they leave immediately. This will not happen and I have no idea what kind of firms people here have worked at. Give your two weeks notice and leave in two weeks. Everyone will be fine with this and it happens all the time.

Yeah I have never heard of a firm letting you leave immediately. Where I work, everyone has been expected to work up until their last day to wrap up their matters.

Which is why I recommend only two weeks notice; gives the firm less time to try and dump work on you in an attempt to get all they can out of you before you leave.

cdelgado

Bronze

Postby cdelgado » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:10 pm

Maybe I missed this, but what does it matter if they let you stay for two weeks or ask you to leave immediately, other than the pay?

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Postby Eldon Tyrell » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:19 pm

cdelgado wrote:Maybe I missed this, but what does it matter if they let you stay for two weeks or ask you to leave immediately, other than the pay?

Lots of firms don't care if you leave, since it's baked into the model. So you don't want to burn bridges if you can avoid it.

cdelgado

Bronze

Postby cdelgado » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:22 pm

Eldon Tyrell wrote:
cdelgado wrote:Maybe I missed this, but what does it matter if they let you stay for two weeks or ask you to leave immediately, other than the pay?

Lots of firms don't care if you leave, since it's baked into the model. So you don't want to burn bridges if you can avoid it.

Right. But you put in your notice and the firm will either ask you to leave immediately or you will work for the remainder of the notice period. At my firm we always ask associates to stay to finish up matters. I'm just not sure what the significance is to OP if they say leave now.

OP can offer to stay on to help, but I wouldn't worry if they told OP to leave. The decision was made when the offer was accepted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:02 am

Congrats on leaving biglaw OP, it is way better on the other side. There is again more misinformation above to clarify. There is no such concept as the firm telling you to immediately leave when you resign. I have had hundreds of resignations both at my firms and from my friends. Not one time has anyone been asked to leave immediately.

Some firms do become pissy when you give notice and dump a ton of work on you on purpose just to be passive aggressive and make you miserable. That is the worst I've heard or seen.

I would like to give some advice which hasn't been given here. Do not speak bad of the firm to anyone when leaving. This may seem easy but the firm will ask for reasons for your leaving. Just say you got an offer that was too good to pass up. Colleagues will say the firm sucks and lucky you, don't join in! Never burn your bridges anywhere.

cdelgado

Bronze

Postby cdelgado » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:51 am

To clarify the above misinformation, firms can ask you to leave upon rendering a resignation. I am in biglaw and it has happened, so there is this "concept." In any event OP, it is extremely rare and very unlikely. It is not something to dwell over.

Toni V

Bronze

Postby Toni V » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Do not speak bad of the firm to anyone when leaving. Colleagues will say the firm sucks and lucky you, don't join in! Never burn your bridges anywhere.

Cautionary (and anecdotal). The background check sometimes includes talking to your departed firm after you’ve accepted the lateral firm’s offer. Best to exit with a smile.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:52 pm

OP here - Just to be clear I would prefer they say leave effective immediately/or like a few days after telling them simply because it's the holidays and I would rather have the time off. Regardless, I'm fine either way and will be a trooper about it but will definitely NOT stay any longer than necessary. I just assumed once you notified them, they would stop giving you work. Guess that is not the case which is fine.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Return to “Legal Employment?