San Diego (SD Cal) AUSA positions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
newlawgrad

New

San Diego (SD Cal) AUSA positions

Post by newlawgrad » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:21 pm

Is it true that all new AUSAs are 2 year terms, with very little ability to stay longer? Also, are they only honors/right out of school/clerkship positions? Can't find historical openings or anything.

Anonymous User

Re: San Diego (SD Cal) AUSA positions

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:49 pm

Not that I've ever heard (and I know people who work there). That would be weird. There are USAOs where it's really common to work there for a stretch and then go somewhere else in government or back to private practice, but it's not a 2-years-and-done thing. Also, they're generally going to hire people with experience. Sometimes they hire through honors, but if it's not officially through honors, they're going to look for experience - probably also a clerkship, but hiring straight out of a clerkship is uncommon.

(They've had a few openings in the last year or so, but unfortunately I can't dig up any of them now, sorry.)

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:10 am

My friend interviewed with them and she never mentioned anything like that. You may have misheard what they generally do with new hires, which is staff you on routine, repetitive immigration cases for a couple of years before you have little, if any, opportunity to expand.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:12 pm

I heard that they start you off with border crimes/immigration because those are relatively small and easy cases (and they have a lot of them). No idea about the 2-year thing, but most AUSA positions I've seen state that they expect at least a 3-year commitment. 2 seems sort of short, given how long the interview process takes to bring someone new aboard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I heard that they start you off with border crimes/immigration because those are relatively small and easy cases (and they have a lot of them). No idea about the 2-year thing, but most AUSA positions I've seen state that they expect at least a 3-year commitment. 2 seems sort of short, given how long the interview process takes to bring someone new aboard.
Not to be cranky, but I watch these job openings pretty regularly and I haven't seen any that state an expectation of a 3-year commitment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:55 pm

SDNY and EDNY both require a 3 year commitment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:49 pm

I clerked in Sd cal. Like 90% of the usao's cases are border crimes. You might spend your first 6 months doing rote illegal reentries in the NDCA. In the SDCA, it seemed like most of their seasoned prosecutors still mainly worked on them. That's just the docket down there. Relatedly, there are pretty limited exit options out of the office. And San Diego is expensive. So be sure that doing illegal reentries for 110k or less for the next decade while paying all that back in rent is exactly what you want out of life.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:51 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:SDNY and EDNY both require a 3 year commitment.
Ah, that makes sense. I'm told they don't hire through USAjobs, which is where you usually see AUSA positions posted. I think SDNY and EDNY tend to do their own thing compared to most of the rest of the country.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:05 am

Also, wrt exit options - I think if you're not in SDNY/EDNY/NDCA/CDCA/maybe NDIL, exit options are largely what you make of them. A *lot* of USAO work is pretty routine criminal stuff, and a lot of offices don't get the kind of complex white-collar stuff that creates a pipeline to biglaw partnership. I know a ton of former AUSAs who are now private defense attorneys, or judges in the districts where they worked, or have gone somewhere else in main justice. I guess I bring this up because I think exit options from many offices are going to be more like San Diego than SDNY.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:18 pm

This is probably a stupid question, but if the option was afforded, would the EDVA over the SDCA be a no brainer? I consider myself incredibly lucky as I have an offer with SDCA and interview with EDVA--do I see where the cards land with EDVA and take it if offered?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but if the option was afforded, would the EDVA over the SDCA be a no brainer? I consider myself incredibly lucky as I have an offer with SDCA and interview with EDVA--do I see where the cards land with EDVA and take it if offered?
Was this SDCA offer from the latest application? I would definitely take my chance with EDVA. Unless you're from the CA area.

TheProsecutor

Bronze

Post by TheProsecutor » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but if the option was afforded, would the EDVA over the SDCA be a no brainer? I consider myself incredibly lucky as I have an offer with SDCA and interview with EDVA--do I see where the cards land with EDVA and take it if offered?
Was this SDCA offer from the latest application? I would definitely take my chance with EDVA. Unless you're from the CA area.
Why?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
FascinatedWanderer wrote:SDNY and EDNY both require a 3 year commitment.
Ah, that makes sense. I'm told they don't hire through USAjobs, which is where you usually see AUSA positions posted. I think SDNY and EDNY tend to do their own thing compared to most of the rest of the country.
The large, non-NY district where I work required a 3-year commitment. It wasn't stated on the vacancy announcement. Rather, the requirement was conveyed with the offer. This is not uncommon.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:09 am

TheProsecutor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Why?
Because EDVA is considered one of the top offices in the whole country, whereas SDCA in 2018 will be waves of immigration cases.

govlawyer123

New

Post by govlawyer123 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:49 am

Exactly. And the EDVA is much more impactful when it comes to nat security and financial frauds, which are the areas I want to contribute to. SDCA obvi has a great quality of life (location) but very concerned it doesn’t quite have the prestige/exit opportunities that EDVA would. And to add more to the mix, got an interview offer with the EDNY.

And to answer the earlier question, the sdca offer came from September posting

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”