Which is worse - 1L or Biglaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TFALAWL

Bronze

Re: Which is worse - 1L or Biglaw?

Postby TFALAWL » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:10 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:Lololololol

1L is a joke compared to big law. Most people fuck around for the first two-three months before hunkering down. Lol at having 2-3 months of basically nothing to do in big law. And if you did, it wouldn't be a good sign. And yeah, & know this is comparing finals time to big law, but you can't really do that, because big law stress doesn't just go away for months at a time and come in one-month bursts like law school.

Many big law associates have little or no work during their stub year -- which is 2-3 months.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:56 am

TFALAWL wrote:

1L is a joke compared to big law. Most people fuck around for the first two-three months before hunkering down. Lol at having 2-3 months of basically nothing to do in big law. And if you did, it wouldn't be a good sign. And yeah, & know this is comparing finals time to big law, but you can't really do that, because big law stress doesn't just go away for months at a time and come in one-month bursts like law school.

Many big law associates have little or no work during their stub year -- which is 2-3 months.

Watch out bruh you accepted the cold offer and are getting pushed out

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:57 am

Is it still technically anon abuse when a megaposter posts anon but everyone clearly knows it's him based on the rambling, semi-coherent, borderline illiterate nature of his musings?

Also I'm good with stubs commenting on 1L or making fun of people who say 1L is harder but seriously guys, saying what big law is like outside of your extremely limited experience is kinda weird. There's enough actual big lawyers on this site to let them handle this topic IMO.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:45 am

BigZuck wrote:Is it still technically anon abuse when a megaposter posts anon but everyone clearly knows it's him based on the rambling, semi-coherent, borderline illiterate nature of his musings?

That's just your reward for spending so much time here that you can identify people simply by tone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:30 am

TFALAWL wrote:

Idk ive worked until or past 2am each of the past four nights, with entire wkend in office, and until midnight much of last week except friday. I have reached a 90 hour billed week twice and nearly all my weeks are over 50. And I've been at my firm 2.5 mos. I know there are people doing nothing but I've had the opposite experience

masque du pantsu

Bronze

Postby masque du pantsu » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TFALAWL wrote:

Idk ive worked until or past 2am each of the past four nights, with entire wkend in office, and until midnight much of last week except friday. I have reached a 90 hour billed week twice and nearly all my weeks are over 50. And I've been at my firm 2.5 mos. I know there are people doing nothing but I've had the opposite experience

I think all they're saying is that yeah you could be super stub-busy, but it doesn't mean you're effed if you're not. Like we get 10 first years into the department on October whatever. Deals that need a first year MIGHT come in by tens right after that, but probably not. As people get staffed they get busy, but it's basically luck of the draw whether you're staffed or still waiting.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:44 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lincoln

Silver

Postby Lincoln » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Idk ive worked until or past 2am each of the past four nights, with entire wkend in office, and until midnight much of last week except friday. I have reached a 90 hour billed week twice and nearly all my weeks are over 50. And I've been at my firm 2.5 mos. I know there are people doing nothing but I've had the opposite experience

You must be on partner track.

Eldon Tyrell

Silver

Postby Eldon Tyrell » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:44 pm

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:Still in law school, so I cannot comment on BL, but a side comment to any 1Ls reading this thread:

Please don't let some of the "if your grades are mediocre, you are fucked forever!!!" comments put you into panic mode right now. Do your best and take practice tests, as good 1L grades are really helpful. But I think that some people under-perform because they go into finals SO panicked that they worry about making small mistakes on their exams and are paralyzed from just taking a test, moving on to the next one, then the next, and then going home for the holidays. Breathe out. You can do this, and you don't have to make yourself miserable in the process. Be confident. I have always done the best on the exams where I felt most confident -- I wasn't afraid to make arguments that might be silly, I worked more quickly than when I was anxiously re-reading everything I typed, etc. Go in to each exam knowing you've worked hard, you know what's going on, and you have the ability to do well.

Lol

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:59 pm

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:Still in law school, so I cannot comment on BL, but a side comment to any 1Ls reading this thread:

Please don't let some of the "if your grades are mediocre, you are fucked forever!!!" comments put you into panic mode right now. Do your best and take practice tests, as good 1L grades are really helpful. But I think that some people under-perform because they go into finals SO panicked that they worry about making small mistakes on their exams and are paralyzed from just taking a test, moving on to the next one, then the next, and then going home for the holidays. Breathe out. You can do this, and you don't have to make yourself miserable in the process. Be confident. I have always done the best on the exams where I felt most confident -- I wasn't afraid to make arguments that might be silly, I worked more quickly than when I was anxiously re-reading everything I typed, etc. Go in to each exam knowing you've worked hard, you know what's going on, and you have the ability to do well.

Never trust anyone who mixes whiskey and cupcakes.

run26.2

Silver

Postby run26.2 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:47 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Idk ive worked until or past 2am each of the past four nights, with entire wkend in office, and until midnight much of last week except friday. I have reached a 90 hour billed week twice and nearly all my weeks are over 50. And I've been at my firm 2.5 mos. I know there are people doing nothing but I've had the opposite experience

You must be on partner track.

Lol. I'm sure he or she is getting signs already.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:54 pm

partner meetings - god what is taking him so long to finish these assignment?! he billed 90 hours last week that i had to write down to 45. gotta stop staffing him on my projects

Return to “Legal Employment�