Writing Sample for Lateral?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Writing Sample for Lateral?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:29 am

Hey all,

I'm a 4th year corp associate at a mid firm - looking to move up to a vault rated firm, if possible.

I've just realized that I don't have any writing samples to include with my application materials - the last official writing sample that I had was my 1L legal writing memo - I recently read over this and realized that it is quite pathetic compared to the writing that I do now. I've done a lot of assignments at work that would be great writing samples, but I heard that I cannot use memos and research from work as part of my application package because it is technically firm property (Unfortunately I can't ask for the firm's permission, because I don't want to out that I'm applying to lateral).

Does anyone have any advice? Would it be bad practice to just redact some research that I've done at work and submit that as a writing sample in my applications?

I never wrote onto a journal or clerked or any of that stuff, and also worked at the same firm since 1L, so I don't have any non-work related legal writing to fall back on.

1styearlateral

Silver

Re: Writing Sample for Lateral?

Postby 1styearlateral » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:04 am

For corporate laterals, isn't a deal sheet more appropriate than a writing sample?

sawyercb

New

Postby sawyercb » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:05 am

1styearlateral wrote:For corporate laterals, isn't a deal sheet more appropriate than a writing sample?

Agreed. This is what I did. It's a good opportunity to elaborate about deals on your resume / add deals that you didn't include on your resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:44 pm

So I don't actually need to come in with a formal writing sample? You guys didn't have one? It was not mentioned at interviews?Thank you for your comments!

sawyercb

New

Postby sawyercb » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I don't actually need to come in with a formal writing sample? You guys didn't have one? It was not mentioned at interviews?Thank you for your comments!

Not in my experience - I just provided a resume and deal sheet to each firm. If you're using a recruiter, I would double check with them to make sure, but I don't think you typically need one in corporate.

Return to “Legal Employment�