CFPB screwed? What about Honors?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

CFPB screwed? What about Honors?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:57 pm

So is the CFPB Honors Program totally ****ed? I'd really like to work and there and think I'm a strong contender, but ugh.

Anonymous User

Re: CFPB screwed? What about Honors?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:31 pm

Yeah. But also don't worry, with the hiring freeze no one who is getting an honors job right now is gonna have a job after graduation i suspect with the freeze. But at least you wont be in a DOJ run by Ted Cruz.

Scariness aside, CFPB is for sure a goner. Really start looking elsewhere.

misterjames

Bronze

Postby misterjames » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:55 pm

I wouldn't say CFPB is gone, at least not yet. Trump has indicated an interest in Jeb Hensarling's Financial Choice Act which, among other things, would eliminate the CFPB's single, independent commissioner structure and replace it with a multi person commission, like the CFTC. And with the recent PHH decision that came out of the DC Circuit, the CFPB's structure was bound to change anyway. Of course this could all change, but current market chatter suggests the CFPB isn't going anywhere, just changing a bit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah. But also don't worry, with the hiring freeze no one who is getting an honors job right now is gonna have a job after graduation i suspect with the freeze. But at least you wont be in a DOJ run by Ted Cruz.

Scariness aside, CFPB is for sure a goner. Really start looking elsewhere.

yeah this is not true at all. like the post above said, Hensarling's proposal is likely going forward. Meaning, congressional controlled budget and replacing the director with a 5 person commission. this will trsnalte to slower moving cases and constrained growth. thats it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:49 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:12 am

CFPB's leadership structure will change, but that's it. See Wells Fargo. Good timing on that enforcement action.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:55 am

I would encourage people who are saying it's just a leadership structure change to actually read the bill.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So is the CFPB Honors Program totally ****ed? I'd really like to work and there and think I'm a strong contender, but ugh.

Ended up getting a summer offer. Should I say no to it? Does a hiring freeze affect summer hires?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:45 pm

Regardless of which plan is implemented, it will certainly change the character of the bureau and the type of work an honors fellow or other junior attorney would be doing. So it's still wise to consider other opportunities alongside it.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So is the CFPB Honors Program totally ****ed? I'd really like to work and there and think I'm a strong contender, but ugh.

Ended up getting a summer offer. Should I say no to it? Does a hiring freeze affect summer hires?

Are you paid?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:42 am

Nebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Are you paid?

Summers pay

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:08 pm

CFPB will likely be neutered for the time being or will have to refocus into going after smaller fish/more obvious bad actors, sort of like the SEC has on occasion. We'll likely see a return to Bush era policies w/r/t consumer regulation on steroids - i.e. a lot of field preemption of state regulation without a corresponding uptick in enforcement.

Return to “Legal Employment�