3L, offer was just rescinded

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L, offer was just rescinded

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:08 am

I'm a 3L and my offer at an NYC biglaw firm was rescinded on Monday. The firm has been struggling financially, but I don't know if any of the others from my summer class had their offers rescinded. Does anyone have any idea about how often SA offers get rescinded? I'm trying to figure out how best to frame the situation now that I'm back on the job hunt.
Thanks.

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Re: 3L, offer was just rescinded

Postby Chrstgtr » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:17 am

First, sorry to hear that--that is absolutely awful of them to do to you, especially given when it occurred on the hiring timeline.

When the market crashed it was fairly common. Since then, not so much. I did a quick search of posts in the last year for rescinded offers and nothing came up, so it looks like you might just have gotten extremely unlucky.

Last, what firm? The firm deserves to be outted.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... chools.com

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:52 am

Chrstgtr wrote:First, sorry to hear that--that is absolutely awful of them to do to you, especially given when it occurred on the hiring timeline.

When the market crashed it was fairly common. Since then, not so much. I did a quick search of posts in the last year for rescinded offers and nothing came up, so it looks like you might just have gotten extremely unlucky.

Last, what firm? The firm deserves to be outted.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... chools.com

OP here. Thanks for your reply. I know about the firms that rescinded offers en masse, but as you said they mostly occurred 2+ years ago. I was wondering if people knew of firms rescinding offers from a small percentage of their summer class, or rescinded offers that flew under the ATL radar.

I'm not comfortable with outing the firm right now, since I may be the only one from my firm in this situation. I will say that a no-offer would not have completely blindsided me (didn't click with some important people at the firm, made a number of stupid mistakes). But if they wanted to no-offer me it would've been nice if they'd done it right after the summer ended, instead of revoking the offer this late in the game.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L and my offer at an NYC biglaw firm was rescinded on Monday. The firm has been struggling financially, but I don't know if any of the others from my summer class had their offers rescinded. Does anyone have any idea about how often SA offers get rescinded? I'm trying to figure out how best to frame the situation now that I'm back on the job hunt.
Thanks.

Can I ask how the offer was rescinded?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L and my offer at an NYC biglaw firm was rescinded on Monday. The firm has been struggling financially, but I don't know if any of the others from my summer class had their offers rescinded. Does anyone have any idea about how often SA offers get rescinded? I'm trying to figure out how best to frame the situation now that I'm back on the job hunt.
Thanks.

Interested in this as well. Were there any signs or did they just shoot you an email out of the blue?

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:11 pm

That sucks, sorry. Try to reach out to fellow SAs that you were friendly with and see if they've heard anything about others (or themselves)... if it turns out that this happened to several people, I agree that it would be in the public interest to share the info with other law students. If you can't confirm that anyone else got hosed, then you're right that it's probably best to keep quiet.

Either way they definitely should have told you this 12 weeks ago when 3LOLOCI was still a thing. Sorry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:18 pm

Is this at Cad?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:53 pm

That is awful, I am sorry. I think the best thing to do is contact your CSO, they are usually useless, but they might be somewhat helpful in guidance.

This is late in the game, but you haven't graduated. I had several classmates get V10 offers Spring Semester of 3L. Just network and try to find out what practice areas and firms are really busy. I know Kirkland restructuring has been hiring a lot lately and it looks like Capital Markets and PE will have at least a temporary upswing.

esther0123

Bronze

Postby esther0123 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:10 pm

is this a firm within the Vault range or a smaller firm? I'm so sorry to hear this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is this at Cad?

Honestly this was my thought

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:43 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks.

Interested in this as well. Were there any signs or did they just shoot you an email out of the blue?

I received a call on Monday. A formal letter/email should be forthcoming.

cron1834 wrote:That sucks, sorry. Try to reach out to fellow SAs that you were friendly with and see if they've heard anything about others (or themselves)... if it turns out that this happened to several people, I agree that it would be in the public interest to share the info with other law students. If you can't confirm that anyone else got hosed, then you're right that it's probably best to keep quiet.

Either way they definitely should have told you this 12 weeks ago when 3LOLOCI was still a thing. Sorry.

Thanks. Our class was fairly large and siloed, so I don't know everyone well, but my friends from the SA program haven't had their offers rescinded and don't know anyone who has. I would rather not blast our summer class's group chat with the news...

trebekismyhero wrote:That is awful, I am sorry. I think the best thing to do is contact your CSO, they are usually useless, but they might be somewhat helpful in guidance.

This is late in the game, but you haven't graduated. I had several classmates get V10 offers Spring Semester of 3L. Just network and try to find out what practice areas and firms are really busy. I know Kirkland restructuring has been hiring a lot lately and it looks like Capital Markets and PE will have at least a temporary upswing.

Thanks - I am going to my school's CSO today.

esther0123 wrote:is this a firm within the Vault range or a smaller firm? I'm so sorry to hear this.

It's a Vault firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:47 pm

Were you corporate or litigation focused? Also, could you post the V range (ex: 15-20)?

JenDarby

Diamond

Postby JenDarby » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Were you corporate or litigation focused? Also, could you post the V range (ex: 15-20)?

Considering you wouldn't even ask this completely non identifying question non-anon, I'm not sure why you think this person should disclose any such further details.

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:00 pm

Stop asking to narrow down the firm. OP already said s/he does not want to out the firm.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:03 pm

Damn, good luck OP. I hope things work out for you. Certainly sent a little chill down my spine (rationally or not). Guess the offer really isn't safe until you start on day one...

californiauser

Silver

Postby californiauser » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:38 pm

You should pay it forward to future SAs and out the firm.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:12 pm

The OP said they wouldn't out the firm. Stop trying to derail. If it's a widespread thing it'll hit Above the Law soon enough and your lust will be fulfilled. If you're just being a worrywort law student because you're afraid you're next then try to stop being a law student about literally everything in your life.

This thread really doesn't need to be 2.5 pages of people debating the merits of outing the firm like literally every one of these threads turn out to be.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Postby Winter is Coming » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:24 pm

BigZuck wrote:The OP said they wouldn't out the firm. Stop trying to derail. If it's a widespread thing it'll hit Above the Law soon enough and your lust will be fulfilled. If you're just being a worrywort law student because you're afraid you're next then try to stop being a law student about literally everything in your life.

This thread really doesn't need to be 2.5 pages of people debating the merits of outing the firm like literally every one of these threads turn out to be.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:26 pm

Frankly I'm going to start banning people who ask users to out a firm under this kind of circumstance.

barprepblues

New

Postby barprepblues » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:35 pm

I think I know which firm, given what I've heard in the biglaw grapevine. (It's hard to imagine two vault firms rescinding offers on the same day).

Make the most of the situation. It doesn't sound like the take-back was work-product related, so ask whoever you worked for during the summer for a letter of recommendation. Then start applying for everything: small firms, big firms, clerkships, government. Tell them about the financial hardships; they will understand.

I also know a few firms that are hiring but haven't gotten listed the positions in public. PM me and I'll send you a list; and no, I won't ask you to confirm the identity of your old firm. :)

didntretake

New

Postby didntretake » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:43 pm

OP - sorry you are in this situation.

Maybe you should ask the firm if it is OK for you to tell prospective employers that you received an offer but decided to decline, similar to a cold offer?

Not sure how much of a difference it makes at this point but might make networking easier or smoother.

Blackfish

New

Postby Blackfish » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:45 pm

fuck that firm. im so sorry to hear about your situation OP. that's fucking awful. i think right now you should def. talk to CSO and start tapping into alums at firms and explain your situation. my sense is that firms will be more open to 3Ls who had their offers rescinded for firm health reasons than just straight up not getting an offer after 2L summer. i think even reaching out to fellow 3Ls who might be willing to speak to their respective firms on your behalf and maybe pass along your resume might be worth the effort. good luck OP dont give up.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:53 pm

BigZuck wrote:The OP said they wouldn't out the firm. Stop trying to derail. If it's a widespread thing it'll hit Above the Law soon enough and your lust will be fulfilled. If you're just being a worrywort law student because you're afraid you're next then try to stop being a law student about literally everything in your life.

I'm going to continue to be a worrywort law student (to my own detriment). That said, I didn't ask for OP to out the firm, nor do I think he/she should.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:54 pm

Networking and hustling and just grinding to try and get a job is a great idea. Apply to everything, mass mail, follow up.

I know of someone who struck out at OCI. He kept applying to firms. He graduated jobless. He got an interview with a big law firm in May after graduation. He thought it went well but they rejected him after the callback. In July they contacted him "Whoopsies our bad you still want a job?" He started work there like a week later, right after taking the bar.

Keep grinding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:59 pm

Shearman?

Return to “Legal Employment�