What courses to take for biglaw corporate practice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What courses to take for biglaw corporate practice?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:08 pm

I'm a current 2L and trying to decide some courses to take for next spring. Currently I am debating between these:
M&A
Antitrust
Negotiation (in the law school), or
Business school classes: either Negotiation, or Intro to Financial Statement Analysis, or Intro to Real Estate

Will also be taking Corp Finance. I'm fairly open as to Corporate or Real estate groups in the future. Would appreciate any insights as to what would be the most helpful courses out of those to prepare for these practice groups?

Is it better to take Negotiation as offered in the law school or B-school? At my school the law prof that teaches Negotiation doesn't get a good reputation, so not sure if it's a good idea to do it in the B-school instead.
Thank you!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: What courses to take for biglaw corporate practice?

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:19 pm

M&A will be most relevant. I personally loved my school's negotiation class...can't speak for yours (ours was purely practical - each week we had a negotiation against an opposing party -- but it wasn't at all transactional focused).

Between M&A and Corp finance, you will be just fine. No need to overload just to get some corporate background where your potential firm will teach you everything anyway.

ETA: Also take whatever courses you think you will get the best grades in.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:14 pm

1. Proofreading: Comma or Period?
2. Introduction to Papering the Deal
3. Corporate Practice: Sleeping under the Desk at 11am, or Working 48 Hours Straight

orangecup

Bronze

Postby orangecup » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:03 am

RaceJudicata wrote:M&A will be most relevant. I personally loved my school's negotiation class...can't speak for yours (ours was purely practical - each week we had a negotiation against an opposing party -- but it wasn't at all transactional focused).

Between M&A and Corp finance, you will be just fine. No need to overload just to get some corporate background where your potential firm will teach you everything anyway.

ETA: Also take whatever courses you think you will get the best grades in.

This. Don't worry about taking corporate-related classes. The coursework may not be useful, and even if it is you likely won't remember any of it, and you'll learn stuff on the job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:36 am

Great, thanks for your advices guys

sawyercb

New

Postby sawyercb » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:21 pm

An advanced excel class

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:25 pm

sawyercb wrote:An advanced excel class

This and an advanced Microsoft Word class would likely be the most helpful

If your school offers a class in contract drafting just so you can get used to reading contracts and understanding what the different parts of a contract do that could also be helpful.

ruski

Bronze

Postby ruski » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:46 pm

secured transactions. I think an accounting class would be more useful than corporate finance. also bankruptcy would be helpful, although less so. regardless of what field you're in, most corporate associates will run into a bankruptcy issue. you'll just field it to a bankruptcy lawyer, but helpful to know the lingo/major issues there. also negotiation sounds like a neat class, but highly doubtful it will be useful. the real negotiation is done by the business people before they ever call the lawyers. after all the real negotiation is done, they just throw the lawyers in a cage to battle out comma placements and the like.

Devlin

Silver

Postby Devlin » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a current 2L and trying to decide some courses to take for next spring. Currently I am debating between these:
M&A
Antitrust
Negotiation (in the law school), or
Business school classes: either Negotiation, or Intro to Financial Statement Analysis, or Intro to Real Estate

Will also be taking Corp Finance. I'm fairly open as to Corporate or Real estate groups in the future. Would appreciate any insights as to what would be the most helpful courses out of those to prepare for these practice groups?

Is it better to take Negotiation as offered in the law school or B-school? At my school the law prof that teaches Negotiation doesn't get a good reputation, so not sure if it's a good idea to do it in the B-school instead.
Thank you!

I actually think the Intro to Financial Statement Analysis would be pretty helpful, especially if you don't have a prior background/liberal arts major.

sawyercb

New

Postby sawyercb » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:50 pm

sawyercb wrote:An advanced excel class

Also, forgot to mention, Securities Reg. Not fun to teach to yourself / figure out during a deal and highly technical.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:52 pm

securities reg could be helpful (but dense and difficult). I didn't take it bc it was too early in the morning (and dense and difficult and I was a lazy 3L). I did take a hedge/PE fund class that my school started offering, and loved it, and actually I am now doing that type of work (after having done a few years of M&A/cap markets).

I have degrees in both finance and econ so I never worried about that stuff, but I'd imagine someone who has never taken an accounting course should try to do so, if possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:00 pm

Corporations/Other Business Associations
M&A
Securities Regulation
Federal Income Tax
Entity Tax (Corporations/Partnerships)
Accounting
Secured Transactions

inter-associate

New

Postby inter-associate » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:26 pm

Corporate tax and bankruptcy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:31 pm

My school has a class called Securities Arbitration and Introduction to Asset Management and Legal Compliance, thoughts?

tfer2222

Bronze

Postby tfer2222 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My school has a class called Securities Arbitration and Introduction to Asset Management and Legal Compliance, thoughts?

Securities arbitration prob not that helpful. Asset mgmt/legal compliance could be helpful if you're interested in fund formation/management work. I'm guessing it covers Investment Company Act/Advisers Act type material.

sawyercb

New

Postby sawyercb » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:13 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My school has a class called Securities Arbitration and Introduction to Asset Management and Legal Compliance, thoughts?

Securities arbitration prob not that helpful. Asset mgmt/legal compliance could be helpful if you're interested in fund formation/management work. I'm guessing it covers Investment Company Act/Advisers Act type material.

I agree with the above. If you are interested in fund formation work, it is extremely important to know the Investment Company Act/Advisers Act on the corporate side. I do fund formation on the tax side.

Return to “Legal Employment�