Being am SA while pregnant?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Being am SA while pregnant?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:16 pm

Hi all,
I found out I was pregnant this morning. Extremely unexpected as I am on birth control. I am engaged and I think under most circumstances we would continue the pregnancy. However, my approximate due date is right at the end of the summer associate program I have been offered and accepted at a V100. It is a very small program on the west coast and I will only be one of four summers. This is a firm I could see myself at long term, and although they have a 100% offer rate, I am a bit concerned about being 8/9 months pregnant during the program. Are there any big law associates out there that worked through their pregnancy? Would this effect my chances of getting a full time offer? This is my first pregnancy and I don't really know if working during my last trimester is even feasible. Would appreciate any insight. I know that this summer will make or break my career and my partner and I have decided to terminate if doing the program in my final trimester is insane.

Anonymous User

Re: Being am SA while pregnant?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:19 pm

Congratulations!! Sorry, I don't have more to offer as I don't know anyone who has done this before. If this were my firm--which also has small SA class sizes--you would be fine. I don't think anyone would really care at all. But it's your body and your decision, well at least for the time being.

ND2018

New

Postby ND2018 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:21 pm

Congratulations!

2L here. Just wanted to chime in and say that I'm fairly certain there are federal laws that would prohibit your summer employer from treating you differently on the basis of your pregnancy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:24 pm

OP here-- while I'm not necessarily concerned about the legalities of it all, I am concerned with my water possibly breaking in the office on the last week of the program and not being able to come in the last week and if this might be a problem. Also a bit concerned about the whole physical aspect of being in my last trimester and if that would affect performance or attendance in a way that would negatively impact an offer:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:45 pm

I think the firm might actually see this as a positive because you won't have to end up taking maternity leave.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:45 pm

Congratulations!

This is a highly personal decision, and I wouldn't let anyone on a message board sway you even a little bit. Also, family will always be more important than any job you have. The decision is yours, and there are plenty of reasons for/against the choice you are contemplating, I just don't think a summer associate program at a law firm that you will work for -- statistically speaking -- for 2-3 years is one of those reasons.

Good luck!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:52 pm

ND2018 wrote:Congratulations!

2L here. Just wanted to chime in and say that I'm fairly certain there are federal laws that would prohibit your summer employer from treating you differently on the basis of your pregnancy.

I mean, there are federal laws that prohibit lots of things that still get done on a regular basis, and I doubt the OP wants to have to sue her firm.

Is there anyone at the firm you could talk to about this off the record? Like a female associate or young female partner with kids?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:54 pm

I was thinking of emailing recruiting; or do you think it would be a good idea to ask a young female associate I got on really well with at my callback for her take. I don't want to be inappropriate though...

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:55 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I mean, there are federal laws that prohibit lots of things that still get done on a regular basis, and I doubt the OP wants to have to sue her firm.

Is there anyone at the firm you could talk to about this off the record? Like a female associate or young female partner with kids?

True, but nobody, i mean NOBODY, wants even the remote possibility of the headline: "Big lawl firm offers 96% of class, only no offer is the pregnant SA" (I'm sure ATL would do a much better job capturing the situation).

ETA: signing off this topic. congrats and good luck to OP :)

Boltsfan

New

Postby Boltsfan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:00 pm

No one would care at the firm I summered at. Definitely wouldn't affect your chances of getting an offer, even if you did have to miss the last week of the program. I agree with the sentiment that no law firm wants to be on above the law for going 99% with offers except for the pregnant woman, but I legitimately believe that the partners at my firm wouldn't even get to that calculus because this would be such a non-issue. You're going to get offered or no-offered based on your fit within the firm culture and your work product, period.

viz-luv

Bronze

Postby viz-luv » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:04 pm

Not big law, but a boutique. Recently had a tiny person post 3l and was working, bar studying.

You shouldn't have a problem working. Some women do, but usually because something pretty sucky is happening and you (and employer) will be more worried about getting care for yourself in those situations. But really, women work right up to their due dates all the time (though you may feel like sleeping under your desk all day and you will feel like a blue whale. Pregnancy brain is real so keep your notepad handy) and you can minimize dr appointment times by adjusting your schedule. If water breaks then that's that, you can't really guess if you will go early or late from here. You probably will want to discuss things with hr, and I would also plan ahead with whoever coordinates assignments towards the end so you are never alone on a project.

On a personal note- Do spend some time collecting a comfy work wardrobe that fits you nicely. I was able to hide it from all but close friends till the very end. People just thought I was a bit husky. Was pretty funny when I showed up at the bar worth a baby and everyone was asking who's baby it was. A 3l baby would have been awesome for catching up on sleep before going back to work.

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:25 pm

I realize this is completely non-responsive, but holy shit at this profession. I don't mean this as criticism OP, but God biglaw is fucked if people are literally considering giving up their firstborn for a job.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:45 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:I realize this is completely non-responsive, but holy shit at this profession. I don't mean this as criticism OP, but God biglaw is fucked if people are literally considering giving up their firstborn for a job.

rwe13

New

Postby rwe13 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:06 pm

Keep your child. No one will care about you missing a little bit of time from your SA, aside from being happy for you.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Postby SeewhathappensLarry » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:18 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:I realize this is completely non-responsive, but holy shit at this profession. I don't mean this as criticism OP, but God biglaw is fucked if people are literally considering giving up their firstborn for a job.

ND2018

New

Postby ND2018 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:46 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

True, but nobody, i mean NOBODY, wants even the remote possibility of the headline: "Big lawl firm offers 96% of class, only no offer is the pregnant SA" (I'm sure ATL would do a much better job capturing the situation).

ETA: signing off this topic. congrats and good luck to OP :)

^This was the point I was actually trying to make. Definitely was not clear, sorry about that.

ookoshi

Bronze

Postby ookoshi » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:01 pm

First, yeah I think it's a little wacky to make the decision as to whether to keep the pregnancy based on a biglaw job. I would encourage my wife to keep the baby in the same scenario. But, it's your right to choose, so ultimately do what's best for you as a person.

As for your summer position, it should be fine no matter what you decide. In addition to looking awful if they don't offer you, consider this, someone splitting their summer may only be there for 7 weeks anyways, so it's not much different than that. Mostly they just want a big enough sample size of interactions with you to know you fit the firm. That doesn't require you to be there a full ten weeks.

The other purpose of the summer other than vetting you is so you can get to know and build relationships with the other attorneys there, especially people outside your practice group. Maybe make an extra effort to get to know people while you're there, but honestly I think that's pretty negligible.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:35 pm

Yeah, to be clear, it's absolutely the OP's choice and I don't think she should let the firm (or anyone here) dictate this. It also doesn't seem like it would be an issue under most circumstances. Just that since she is worried someone who knows the firm would be a good resource so she can assess the situation. But also I think it's fair for a woman to consider for herself how the timing of a pregnancy fits with her own career goals.

(No firm wants to be on ATL as no-offering the pregnant SA, but I also don't think being the SA who went to ATL about pregnancy discrimination is great, either. Maybe I'm too cynical.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:41 pm

Thank you everyone. I am going to contact recruiting tomorrow. Glad to hear being about to pop during my SA likely won't negatively affect my career long term. I think the whole actually being nine months pregnant and about to give birth any moment during the seventh week of my SA was my biggest concern. If it coincided with the second trimester I would not have been as nervous.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:42 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Yeah, to be clear, it's absolutely the OP's choice and I don't think she should let the firm (or anyone here) dictate this. It also doesn't seem like it would be an issue under most circumstances. Just that since she is worried someone who knows the firm would be a good resource so she can assess the situation. But also I think it's fair for a woman to consider for herself how the timing of a pregnancy fits with her own career goals.

(No firm wants to be on ATL as no-offering the pregnant SA, but I also don't think being the SA who went to ATL about pregnancy discrimination is great, either. Maybe I'm too cynical.)

Not for long.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:44 pm

I'm fairly confident that it won't be an issue for you, and the firm will make any necessary accommodations. I mean, even if you have to leave a week early because you're having a freaking baby, they'll deal. Maybe there is some monstrous firm out there that would no-offer you for it but I can't imagine it.

I do think there are likely to be some more subtle and insidious ways in which being a mother in biglaw could be difficult and possibly career-inhibiting. Women still have an uphill battle in many ways. But that will be the case no matter when you have kids, and in fact should be less of an immediate issue as a summer associate than when you're a full-timer.

I'm also fairly confident that if you choose not to have a kid that you otherwise would have because of a hypothetical concern about how it might impact a temporary summer job at a firm where you're unlikely to work more than 4-5 years anyway ... you will come to regret that.

This line of work will throw up barriers between you and your family and friends if you let it. I'd consider this the first test.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:46 pm

youll be fine. do what you can re work. most associates i work with bill 40+ hours a week right up until the birth of the child. i would email your firm's hr in the spring and let them know about your pregnancy so they are not caught off guard but everything will be okay.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:47 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I'm fairly confident that it won't be an issue for you, and the firm will make any necessary accommodations. I mean, even if you have to leave a week early because you're having a freaking baby, they'll deal. Maybe there is some monstrous firm out there that would no-offer you for it but I can't imagine it.

I do think there are likely to be some more subtle and insidious ways in which being a mother in biglaw could be difficult and possibly career-inhibiting. Women still have an uphill battle in many ways. But that will be the case no matter when you have kids, and in fact should be less of an immediate issue as a summer associate than when you're a full-timer.

I'm also fairly confident that if you choose not to have a kid that you otherwise would have because of a hypothetical concern about how it might impact a temporary summer job at a firm where you're unlikely to work more than 4-5 years anyway ... you will come to regret that.

This line of work will throw up barriers between you and your family and friends if you let it. I'd consider this the first test.

I know it's hard to see it this way when you're so scared about graduating with a job, but if they did no-offer you as a result, that's definitely not a place you want to be in.

landshoes

Silver

Postby landshoes » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:39 pm

If you're considering terminating, you should terminate. It's better to have a kid when you're 100%, for both you and the kid.

ETA: I don't mean this in a guilt-tripping way. I just think that if this isn't the right time for you because you'll be stressed and unhappy, then it's not the right time. None of us can guarantee your employer will or won't act differently towards you, and so if terminating is an option for you, I think it's best to take it.

My feeling is that you should have a child when you can feel happy and secure about bringing that child into the world. This doesn't sound like that kind of situation to me, so I would choose another time.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:06 am

landshoes wrote:If you're considering terminating, you should terminate. It's better to have a kid when you're 100%, for both you and the kid.

ETA: I don't mean this in a guilt-tripping way. I just think that if this isn't the right time for you because you'll be stressed and unhappy, then it's not the right time. None of us can guarantee your employer will or won't act differently towards you, and so if terminating is an option for you, I think it's best to take it.

My feeling is that you should have a child when you can feel happy and secure about bringing that child into the world. This doesn't sound like that kind of situation to me, so I would choose another time.

I have nothing against you but I don't think this is warranted or appropriate at all. This is her choice, and I don't think anybody should be giving opinion advice one way or another. All she needs to know is whether a firm will hold a pregnancy against her, and it looks like the answer here is "contact recruiting"/no.

Return to “Legal Employment�