Dressing for a "meeting" at a non-profit - pro bono opp

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
seasidemama

New

Dressing for a "meeting" at a non-profit - pro bono opp

Postby seasidemama » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:02 am

So I passed the Jyly 2016 NY exam :D Now I need to get my 50 pro bono hours.. I've exchanged a few e-mails with the pro bono manager of a large non-profit organization that offers legal assistance to the poor. The e-mails were somewhat informal in nature. She invited me to a meeting in anticipation of my joining the pro bono team.. So the million dollar question is what do I wear??

Do I wear the formal legal interview suit, a more casual business outfit - buttoned shirt & pants or a business casual dress..??

I don't want to overdress nor do I want to look disrespectful of the office - but I don't know anyone who has knowledge of the dress code in this office..

Thanks

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Dressing for a "meeting" at a non-profit - pro bono opp

Postby BigZuck » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:04 am

I say suit up or, failing that, ask the person you've been corresponding with

seasidemama

New

Postby seasidemama » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:10 am

BigZuck wrote:I say suit up or, failing that, ask the person you've been corresponding with

I don't feel comfortable asking her about attire..

despina

Bronze

Postby despina » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:41 am

Non-profit attorneys tend to dress more casually. But when in doubt, the lawyer uniform is always always always a suit.

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:22 am

I think you are safe is business casual, there's no way their office dress code is anything more formal than that and there's a good chance it's less.

Return to “Legal Employment�