Recruiter vs. Insider

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Recruiter vs. Insider

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:39 pm

Fishing for some collective TLS wisdom. Would appreciate responses that don't quote.

Background: Corporate associate at a top NY firm trying to lateral to another major market (think LA/SF/Chicago), where I'd like to settle down and grow roots. Have a year and change of experience under my belt. I've been working with a recruiter who has been fairly responsive, although I'm still a bit unclear as to what kind of value she is, in fact, adding. That said, I work inhumane hours and she has been good about researching and following up on my behalf.

A relative of mine has put me in touch with a senior attorney in an office where I'd like to lateral. I've spoken to said senior attorney, who offered to put in a good word for me when I apply. S/he was agnostic about whether using a recruiter to apply would help or harm. Didn't seem to have an opinion either way. I went to T1 school with top grades, firm doesn't appear to hire alums from there, but they have hired quite a few laterals from my current firm.

Question: Often I read about how firms would like to avoid recruiters, and instead prefer internal referrals. That said, I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on having a recruiter submit the initial application and then have an inside connection put in a good word. Would I be shooting myself in the foot by using a recruiter in the first instance?

Thank you.

misterjames

Bronze

Re: Recruiter vs. Insider

Postby misterjames » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:09 pm

I think the question you really need to ask is whether the recruiter would retain a fee should this firm hire you. If the answer is yes the recruiter gets a fee (and it sounds like it would be here), then you are shooting yourself in the foot somewhat because the fee is what firms want to avoid. I think the right approach is to use your connections at firms to the extent you have them, and then use a good recruiter for firms or locations where you have no connections.

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Postby Abbie Doobie » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:48 pm

do not use a recruiter here. there is nothing that they can do that your inside contact can't already do. use the inside contact and leave the recruiter out of it.

tfer2222

Bronze

Postby tfer2222 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:02 pm

Abbie Doobie wrote:do not use a recruiter here. there is nothing that they can do that your inside contact can't already do. use the inside contact and leave the recruiter out of it.

yeah, this.

shock259

Gold

Postby shock259 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:25 pm

Recruiters drop shitty resumes all over the place, so it would be really easy to have yours get lost in the shuffle. Going through your friend is a sure fire way to make sure your shit actually gets looked at.

Return to “Legal Employment�