In-House - Texas

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Roy McAvoy

Bronze

In-House - Texas

Postby Roy McAvoy » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:14 pm

I'm a 2L at a Texas school, looking to do IP. I have a chemical background, and am looking for an in-house opportunity to split my summer with. I'm currently looking at oil and chemical companies (Celanese, Exxon, Hunt, Shell, etc.). Particularly in Dallas, does anyone know anything about these companies' legal groups or if they hire summer clerks?

downinDtown

Bronze

Re: In-House - Texas

Postby downinDtown » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:21 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:I'm a 2L at a Texas school, looking to do IP. I have a chemical background, and am looking for an in-house opportunity to split my summer with. I'm currently looking at oil and chemical companies (Celanese, Exxon, Hunt, Shell, etc.). Particularly in Dallas, does anyone know anything about these companies' legal groups or if they hire summer clerks?

I believe Hunt has hired for summer positions before, and I believe HollyFrontier has as well. There were a handful of companies that I know had paid (or at least extern) positions in the past, but this was when oil was at $80-100+, so things may have changed.

Shell's summer position was in Houston I believe. If you're willing to look in Houston, that expands the universe of summer O&G jobs a lot more, and since it sounds like you have a firm gig lined up for one part of the summer, may I ask if you've looked at Houston firms at all? At some of the larger places and IP firms in Houston, there may even be a better chance to see IP issues involving the O&G sector. Besides the chemical/refinery sphere, oilfield services companies are often developing new tech/processes they use for drilling and completion of wells, so may be something to look into.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Re: In-House - Texas

Postby Roy McAvoy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:45 pm

downinDtown wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:I'm a 2L at a Texas school, looking to do IP. I have a chemical background, and am looking for an in-house opportunity to split my summer with. I'm currently looking at oil and chemical companies (Celanese, Exxon, Hunt, Shell, etc.). Particularly in Dallas, does anyone know anything about these companies' legal groups or if they hire summer clerks?

I believe Hunt has hired for summer positions before, and I believe HollyFrontier has as well. There were a handful of companies that I know had paid (or at least extern) positions in the past, but this was when oil was at $80-100+, so things may have changed.

Shell's summer position was in Houston I believe. If you're willing to look in Houston, that expands the universe of summer O&G jobs a lot more, and since it sounds like you have a firm gig lined up for one part of the summer, may I ask if you've looked at Houston firms at all? At some of the larger places and IP firms in Houston, there may even be a better chance to see IP issues involving the O&G sector. Besides the chemical/refinery sphere, oilfield services companies are often developing new tech/processes they use for drilling and completion of wells, so may be something to look into.

Thanks, appreciate it!

Return to “Legal Employment�