Lateraling to NYC as a first year

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateraling to NYC as a first year

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:36 pm

I'm a 3L with median grades at a T14 headed to a great firm in a city I can't stand. I want to lateral to NYC as quickly as possible, since 3L hiring seems over. Just wondering how I should approach this search---should I hire a recruiter after graduation/take the NY bar in February 2018? Is networking with professors/alums going to be worth it? Interested in corporate/transactional, but open to bankruptcy.

Toni V

Bronze

Re: Lateraling to NYC as a first year

Postby Toni V » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:47 pm

Is this great firm, a "V" firm? If so, top 50V or better?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:00 pm

Toni V wrote:Is this great firm, a "V" firm? If so, top 50V or better?

Boutique. Junior associates exited to NYC V100s over the summer, so it's certainly possible. Just trying to do it ASAP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:12 pm

Should be very realistic but probably easiest to work with a recruiter rather than mailing firms directly. Networking to a job is possible but harder given that you're not already in NYC to meet people, and it would be more important to meet firm partners than random local alums and professors, though can't hurt to have a professor who likes you looking out for opportunities as they often have friends at law firms. If you have law school friends working at NYC biglaw firms (presumably you do if you went to a T14), they may be able to refer you (and sometimes get a referral bonus of their own); they'll know best if their practice is hiring.

That said, will be much easier to move after a couple of years than it is immediately after starting. You may not like the city you're ending up in but may have to stick it out for a while.

Return to “Legal Employment�