AUSA/USAO hiring Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: AUSA/USAO hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:07 am

Hi all including SDTX curious above.

I applied from out of TX end of May 2018 through USA jobs. Got the email July 6 I had interview. Did interview one mid July. Follow up with USA late July. Offer late July. Started late November. It was very quick between second interview and offer. Like hours.

For those curious. Went to a top 150 school. Did not graduate top of class. Got a job as rural prosecutor right out of school. Did felony trials immediately. Did dozens of felony bench trials and a few jury trials. Left to go to state AG Office in criminal appeals. Did fifty plus direct appeals and federal habeas stuff over eighteen months. Applied to a bunch of offices. Got in at one.

Do. Work. That. Is. Relevant. The rest of your credentials don’t matter if you can do the work. I was not law review. Didn’t go to top school. But I’ve got “tons” (compared to others with three years out of school and shiny credentials at big firms) of trial experience and appellate experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:57 pm

Are all hiring decisions frozen? Resume reviews, interview decisions, hiring decisions, etc.?

mhylden

New

Post by mhylden » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Yes. Our office has frozen all hiring decisions. Interviews were cancelled.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:32 pm

Same in my office. Someone who was supposed to start this week can't come on board till this is done (the admin people are all furloughed).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:54 am

Weird how inconsistent this is. I’m in the middle of my BI for the DOJ (not for the USAO) and the shutdown hasn’t slowed anything down. My BI is still proceeding as if nothing happened. I have no idea if everyone is working for free, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:51 am

I think a lot of the investigators may be contractors? Have you been dealing with the pertinent HR people and do you have a start date?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Weird how inconsistent this is. I’m in the middle of my BI for the DOJ (not for the USAO) and the shutdown hasn’t slowed anything down. My BI is still proceeding as if nothing happened. I have no idea if everyone is working for free, though.
How do you check on the status of a BI? I submitted all my paperwork in early December and I just assumed it was on hold until the shutdown is resolved.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Weird how inconsistent this is. I’m in the middle of my BI for the DOJ (not for the USAO) and the shutdown hasn’t slowed anything down. My BI is still proceeding as if nothing happened. I have no idea if everyone is working for free, though.
How do you check on the status of a BI? I submitted all my paperwork in early December and I just assumed it was on hold until the shutdown is resolved.
I called the admin processing my application and got confirmation that it was all still in the works. Turns out the admin is working, too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I called the admin processing my application and got confirmation that it was all still in the works. Turns out the admin is working, too.
Interesting. Per the HR people processing my application: "We have been notified that all processing regarding on boarding of new employees through eQIP has been halted due to the government shut down." Would really like this to end so we can get moving....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:24 pm

Had my final interview with DOJ Main component in November. Still haven't heard anything. Ding? Seems like successful candidates are asked for references a few days later, at most.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had my final interview with DOJ Main component in November. Still haven't heard anything. Ding? Seems like successful candidates are asked for references a few days later, at most.
It took about 2 months for them to ask for my references and I got an offer. Given the holidays and the shutdown, I wouldn’t draw any conclusions yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:22 am

Did anyone interview with DOJ's Consumer Protection Branch? Did you hear anything prior to the shutdown?

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:26 pm

PSA: Applications/hiring are all on hold during shutdown. Basically exclude the time during the shutdown from how long you've been waiting. Source: I heard this personally from a First AUSA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:56 am

Anyone else interviewing for the DC Superior Court division? There have been a ton of delays but now that the shutdown is over I imagine calls will start going out...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:27 pm

Anyone heard anything from the ND Cal posting that closed last week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:01 pm

Any news for CDCA? Do all applicants who simply submit an app get a notice of receipt informing you that your materials have been forwarded to the hiring committee?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news for CDCA? Do all applicants who simply submit an app get a notice of receipt informing you that your materials have been forwarded to the hiring committee?
I applied to about 25 offices. Always got the email saying my stuff had been “received.” And that was the status on USA jobs. I made it to “referred” in about 6 offices and got an email saying “you are among the best and most well qualified candidates and your package has been “referred” to the hiring committee. Status on USA jobs said “referred.” Of those I couldn’t tell if everyone got “referred” or not. On three of the referred I never heard another word. About two weeks after getting referred I got interviews in three of the six offices. I received one offer out of those interviews. Offer came about 4 hours after second follow up interview.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:16 am

Any news/offers made from the DC office? (Crim Div or Superior Court.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard anything from the ND Cal posting that closed last week?
Bumping this. Anyone heard anything from ND Cal?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:09 pm

Heard from NDCA yesterday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had my final interview with DOJ Main component in November. Still haven't heard anything. Ding? Seems like successful candidates are asked for references a few days later, at most.
Update: Ding.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:32 am

Bumping for any DC offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping for any DC offers.
Heard of second round interviews. Has anyone heard of offers or third rounds yet?

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:14 am

Genuine question for those who took border jobs with the idea you would move to whatever big town you where you really wanted to be: how are you liking the job? Is getting a different job going the way you expected it to?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:40 am

andythefir wrote:Genuine question for those who took border jobs with the idea you would move to whatever big town you where you really wanted to be: how are you liking the job? Is getting a different job going the way you expected it to?
I did this. Started in a border district, went elsewhere. Applied to 2 other offices and got hired in the second (some of it was that I was qualified, but other stuff like ties and office needs played a role). I actually kind of miss the border district, in some ways, but when I was there I missed the things I have here, so basically you can’t have everything you want.

FWIW, I can think of at least 10 AUSAs including me who left border districts for other offices in the last 5 years or so. And my current office hired 3 people out of other USAOs in the last year. Admittedly I’m not at SDNY/EDNY and no one I know went to SDNY/EDNY - I don’t think some of the fanciest offices hire that way - but I think mobility is possible.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”