Spring Semester with 3 options and want to combine 2

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Spring Semester with 3 options and want to combine 2

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:55 pm

For this Spring semester I have the following:

(1) I currently am getting paid to work semi-remotely for a small litigation firm doing a combo of shit law and some high quality stuff (million dollar plaintiff's suits and D&O Insurance Defense), the firm is shakey and long term prospects are dim, but I get paid a very comfortable wage.
(2) I was offered an externship with the State Supreme Court's Staff Attorney, unpaid. Hiring manager's husband is a partner at a firm that handles issues in the field I want to be in and expressed interest in having me meet him. I'm writing my journal comment on a relevant topic.
(3) I was offered a spot as a TA for Legal Advocacy for 1Ls.

I want to take two of these. Which two would you take.

Stats:
Slightly under median at a T25 in the interior western US in a large city with a tepid economy and very little big law (most law around here is mid and small).

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Spring Semester with 3 options and want to combine 2

Postby kalvano » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:50 pm

Dump the TA job. It's unpaid (I'm presuming) and you're more likely to make better connections at the externship. The first is a paid gig, so that's always helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:09 am

I'd confirm that you'd be allowed to keep working for the firm if you take externship. I'm a federal law clerk, and our externs wouldn't be allowed to also do work for a firm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:14 am

In the interview it was confirmed and encouraged.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd confirm that you'd be allowed to keep working for the firm if you take externship. I'm a federal law clerk, and our externs wouldn't be allowed to also do work for a firm

I'd imagine the rules would be fairly different for a staff atty/pro se clerk doing insurance lit-related work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd confirm that you'd be allowed to keep working for the firm if you take externship. I'm a federal law clerk, and our externs wouldn't be allowed to also do work for a firm

I'd imagine the rules would be fairly different for a staff atty/pro se clerk doing insurance lit-related work.

For my court, it wouldn't matter what type of other legal work was involved. No other legal employment is allowed. The same rules apply for interns for our staff attorneys, but obviously different courts have different rules.

Return to “Legal Employment�