Coolest Pro Bono Jorb You Had?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Coolest Pro Bono Jorb You Had?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:28 pm

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some feedback on any internships you took to satisfy your pro bono requirement that you really enjoyed/ were really unique. Since this applies to (almost) everyone, I thought making a new thread would be beneficial.

If there's any interest, I could periodically add the submissions to a poll so people can vote on what they thought was best (either from experience or personal preference)

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: Coolest Pro Bono Jorb You Had?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:16 pm

Helped a death penalty organization which does appeals for death penalty criminals. It was cool because it was purely remote; i.e., I could work anytime and all from home on my laptop.

Avian

Bronze

Postby Avian » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:07 pm

Interned for a judge. I think everyone should do this at some point just to experience what being on the other side of the bench is like. You learn what a judge looks for and thinks about when reaching decisions. What kinds of things influence them, what litigation tactics work and which don't. You also get exposed to a wide variety of attorneys and get to see the different styles in practice. It also gives you a sense of whether you want to pursue a clerkship without the year or two year commitment.

SowhatsNU

Bronze

Postby SowhatsNU » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Helped a death penalty organization which does appeals for death penalty criminals. It was cool because it was purely remote; i.e., I could work anytime and all from home on my laptop.

Would you mind sharing the name of the organization? I'd be very interested in this.

SowhatsNU

Bronze

Postby SowhatsNU » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Helped a death penalty organization which does appeals for death penalty criminals. It was cool because it was purely remote; i.e., I could work anytime and all from home on my laptop.

Would you mind sharing the name of the organization? I'd be very interested in this.

Sorry, I'm the poster above^ accidental anon

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Phillips Black Public Interest Law Firm.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:57 pm

Class that allowed you to teach a class once a week in a inner city/at risk school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:29 pm

Legal Department at a Department of Energy National Laboratory.

The Energy Department's National Labs tackle the critical scientific challenges of our time -- from combating climate change to discovering the origins of our universe -- and possess unique instruments and facilities, many of which are found nowhere else in the world. They address large scale, complex research and development challenges with a multidisciplinary approach that places an emphasis on translating basic science to innovation. Specifically, the National Laboratories:

conduct research of the highest caliber in physical, chemical, biological, and computational and information sciences that advances our understanding of the world around us;
advance U.S. energy independence and leadership in clean energy technologies to ensure the ready availability of clean, reliable, and affordable energy;
enhance global, national, and homeland security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear deterrent, helping to prevent the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, and securing the nation’s borders; and
design, build, and operate distinctive scientific instrumentation and facilities, and make these resources available to the research community.

Return to “Legal Employment?