Hiring Freezes??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I hope that agencies with acting directors aren't waiting for Trump to decide about leadership before making a call. It could take Trump MONTHS to fill up all these agency posts.


It's more likely that they are just deferring to Trump in general. The hiring freeze is for 90 days at which point a more thorough plan will be issued.


I'm starting to worry that the 90-day plan is going to include more freeze language. Apparently GOP reps are still trying to propose bills to abloish the EPA/ED/whatever other agency that helps run the country. Anyone seen that new show on Syfy, Incorporated?

FSK

Platinum
Posts: 8056
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby FSK » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:57 pm

Those repeal bills are stupid house posturing. They all require 60 in the senate. Dead in the water.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:29 pm

We have a new Attorney General! Let's hope for some good news soon.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I hope that agencies with acting directors aren't waiting for Trump to decide about leadership before making a call. It could take Trump MONTHS to fill up all these agency posts.


It's more likely that they are just deferring to Trump in general. The hiring freeze is for 90 days at which point a more thorough plan will be issued.


Meaning that even for offers made before Jan 22 discretion = don't do anything?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Alright big boy Beauregard whats the word


Big boy beauregard
Whatcha gonna do
Gonna let me eat?
Or gonna send me to the street

ooooooohhhh big boy beauregard

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:We have a new Attorney General! Let's hope for some good news soon.


I don't get why this matters. Isn't a purely executive office not allowed discretion even for pre-Jan 22 offers?

avzmgv

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:58 pm

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby avzmgv » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:We have a new Attorney General! Let's hope for some good news soon.


I don't get why this matters. Isn't a purely executive office not allowed discretion even for pre-Jan 22 offers?


No, this is what the guidance states:

"Job offers made prior to January 22, 2017, but for which the individual has a confirmed start date that is later than February 22, 2017 (or does not have a confirmed start date), should be decided on a case-by-case basis and must go through an agency-head review. The agency head should review each position to determine whether the job offer should be revoked, or whether the hiring process should continue. Agency heads should consider essential mission priorities, current agency resources, and funding levels when making determinations about whether or not to revoke job offers."

Sessions has a lot of discretion.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:55 pm

avzmgv wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:We have a new Attorney General! Let's hope for some good news soon.


I don't get why this matters. Isn't a purely executive office not allowed discretion even for pre-Jan 22 offers?


No, this is what the guidance states:

"Job offers made prior to January 22, 2017, but for which the individual has a confirmed start date that is later than February 22, 2017 (or does not have a confirmed start date), should be decided on a case-by-case basis and must go through an agency-head review. The agency head should review each position to determine whether the job offer should be revoked, or whether the hiring process should continue. Agency heads should consider essential mission priorities, current agency resources, and funding levels when making determinations about whether or not to revoke job offers."

Sessions has a lot of discretion.


Ah OK cool. Here's hoping he doesn't defer to Trump then.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
avzmgv wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:We have a new Attorney General! Let's hope for some good news soon.


I don't get why this matters. Isn't a purely executive office not allowed discretion even for pre-Jan 22 offers?


No, this is what the guidance states:

"Job offers made prior to January 22, 2017, but for which the individual has a confirmed start date that is later than February 22, 2017 (or does not have a confirmed start date), should be decided on a case-by-case basis and must go through an agency-head review. The agency head should review each position to determine whether the job offer should be revoked, or whether the hiring process should continue. Agency heads should consider essential mission priorities, current agency resources, and funding levels when making determinations about whether or not to revoke job offers."

Sessions has a lot of discretion.


Ah OK cool. Here's hoping he doesn't defer to Trump then.


I'd imagine that more likely, at least for all DOJ positions, Trump will defer to Sessions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:54 pm

Honors attorneys for my component of DOJ (not USAO) apparently received permission to be hired because I just got an e-mail with names of people who will be starting in the fall. There was no mention of the hiring freeze in the email though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:07 pm

I'm one of the post-background check, waiting on start date crowd that posted previously in this threat. My point of contact took for granted that of course crim AUSAs would be excepted, then started double-timing getting a start date pre-freeze effective date. Not sure if it's paranoia, or belt-and-suspenders, but I have detected a change in tone. I suggest getting started pre-effective date if at all on the table.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Honors attorneys for my component of DOJ (not USAO) apparently received permission to be hired because I just got an e-mail with names of people who will be starting in the fall. There was no mention of the hiring freeze in the email though.


You're anon: what section?

User avatar
jess

Diamond
Posts: 18149
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby jess » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:41 pm

.
Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Alright big boy Beauregard whats the word


Big boy beauregard
Whatcha gonna do
Gonna let me eat?
Or gonna send me to the street

ooooooohhhh big boy beauregard


*the chorus*

Big big Jeffy B, what do you got for me?
whatcha gonna do with the hiring freeze?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:30 pm

Well just got a call this morning saying my tentative offer is cancelled as of right now. They are unsure if they will be able to proceed with my hiring after the freeze or if they will have to cancel it completely or readvertise and rehire. Thanks Trump. So much for making America great again.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well just got a call this morning saying my tentative offer is cancelled as of right now. They are unsure if they will be able to proceed with my hiring after the freeze or if they will have to cancel it completely or readvertise and rehire. Thanks Trump. So much for making America great again.


HP or normal hire?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well just got a call this morning saying my tentative offer is cancelled as of right now. They are unsure if they will be able to proceed with my hiring after the freeze or if they will have to cancel it completely or readvertise and rehire. Thanks Trump. So much for making America great again.


You're going to have to give us some additional context re: what agency this is for if you're going to drop a bombshell. Are you DOJ? HP?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:48 pm

I really don't want to share what position I applied for. But it wasn't DOJ or anything like that. It was a non sensitive non critical position. And as far as my hiring process I had submitted my fingerprints and background forms so I don't know what process that would be. But yeah I'm pretty bummed. I am hoping they can continue with the process when the freeze is over but knowing our federal government I doubt it. Trump is make some very questionable executive orders.

Dnova002

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Dnova002 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I really don't want to share what position I applied for. But it wasn't DOJ or anything like that. It was a non sensitive non critical position. And as far as my hiring process I had submitted my fingerprints and background forms so I don't know what process that would be. But yeah I'm pretty bummed. I am hoping they can continue with the process when the freeze is over but knowing our federal government I doubt it. Trump is make some very questionable executive orders.



I'm so sorry to hear that dude. Hopefully you will get it after the freeze. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I really don't want to share what position I applied for. But it wasn't DOJ or anything like that. It was a non sensitive non critical position. And as far as my hiring process I had submitted my fingerprints and background forms so I don't know what process that would be. But yeah I'm pretty bummed. I am hoping they can continue with the process when the freeze is over but knowing our federal government I doubt it. Trump is make some very questionable executive orders.


Was it an Honors position or other position?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:55 pm

It wasn't an honors position. Idk what to say it was just a normal fed job with a standard background check, fingerprints clearance and the basic pre employment stuff. I wanna wish everyone else luck. Just remember that even if you were selected for a job and get told that the freeze is going to effect you, you must have been a good candidate and have good credentials so another job will come up that your qualified for. That's how I am looking at it.

User avatar
los blancos

Platinum
Posts: 8395
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby los blancos » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Dnova002 wrote:

I'm so sorry to hear that dude. Hopefully you will get it after the freeze. Thanks for sharing.


+1

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It wasn't an honors position. Idk what to say it was just a normal fed job with a standard background check, fingerprints clearance and the basic pre employment stuff. I wanna wish everyone else luck. Just remember that even if you were selected for a job and get told that the freeze is going to effect you, you must have been a good candidate and have good credentials so another job will come up that your qualified for. That's how I am looking at it.


+1 I hope you get it when the freeze is lifted.

Npret

Silver
Posts: 1264
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Npret » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Well just got a call this morning saying my tentative offer is cancelled as of right now. They are unsure if they will be able to proceed with my hiring after the freeze or if they will have to cancel it completely or readvertise and rehire. Thanks Trump. So much for making America great again.

Sorry this happened to you. I hope you find something else quickly. I hope people have been scrambling and looking for other jobs and not just waiting for an answer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313002
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:It wasn't an honors position. Idk what to say it was just a normal fed job with a standard background check, fingerprints clearance and the basic pre employment stuff. I wanna wish everyone else luck. Just remember that even if you were selected for a job and get told that the freeze is going to effect you, you must have been a good candidate and have good credentials so another job will come up that your qualified for. That's how I am looking at it.


Great attitude!

I've been a lawyer for 15+ years and on BOTH SIDES of the hiring table. Lawyers hate the interview process, reviewing resumes, reading writing samples, etc. If a similar slot opens in the next year, you'll jump to the front of the line and they'll skip as many steps as they can. That happened to me.

Just keep in touch with your contacts at the agency and watch for the posting reappear.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.