Hiring Freezes??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Re: crim AUSA position - I was similarly told today that if I can enter on duty before Feb 22 I'm good. (I'm the person who was transferring whose start date was March 6; I was initially told that I couldn't change my start date to make it ahead of the deadline, but apparently that's not true.)


I was told the same thing, but I may not get my clearance on time. Next week I have to give notice that I might leave by the 22nd - or maybe never.

Dnova002

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Dnova002 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Re: crim AUSA position - I was similarly told today that if I can enter on duty before Feb 22 I'm good. (I'm the person who was transferring whose start date was March 6; I was initially told that I couldn't change my start date to make it ahead of the deadline, but apparently that's not true.)


I was told the same thing, but I may not get my clearance on time. Next week I have to give notice that I might leave by the 22nd - or maybe never.


Still no clearance. I was told yesterday they are getting my orientation paperwork ready, which is nice to hear but still waiting.

I'm in the same situation. My boss knows not to expect 2 weeks notice. Why are you not going to get cleared in time? When was it sent?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:39 pm

There was a post on the DOJ Honors Attorney Facebook page saying that SLIP has received an exemption from the freeze.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:50 pm

Dnova002 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Re: crim AUSA position - I was similarly told today that if I can enter on duty before Feb 22 I'm good. (I'm the person who was transferring whose start date was March 6; I was initially told that I couldn't change my start date to make it ahead of the deadline, but apparently that's not true.)


I was told the same thing, but I may not get my clearance on time. Next week I have to give notice that I might leave by the 22nd - or maybe never.


Still no clearance. I was told yesterday they are getting my orientation paperwork ready, which is nice to hear but still waiting.

I'm in the same situation. My boss knows not to expect 2 weeks notice. Why are you not going to get cleared in time? When was it sent?


That's great! I'm so happy for you!

My paperwork was sent to the security section (I'm guessing that's DC) on 1/5. Based on your timeline there is very little chance I'll be cleared in time. My office said that they expect background checks will be expedited in response to the freeze, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I know they plan to seek an exemption if I am not cleared, so all is not lost.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There was a post on the DOJ Honors Attorney Facebook page saying that SLIP has received an exemption from the freeze.

Yes. So far SLIP and VLI are exempted but OARM hasnt made a decision about HP attys yet

Dnova002

New
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Dnova002 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Dnova002 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Re: crim AUSA position - I was similarly told today that if I can enter on duty before Feb 22 I'm good. (I'm the person who was transferring whose start date was March 6; I was initially told that I couldn't change my start date to make it ahead of the deadline, but apparently that's not true.)


I was told the same thing, but I may not get my clearance on time. Next week I have to give notice that I might leave by the 22nd - or maybe never.


Still no clearance. I was told yesterday they are getting my orientation paperwork ready, which is nice to hear but still waiting.

I'm in the same situation. My boss knows not to expect 2 weeks notice. Why are you not going to get cleared in time? When was it sent?


That's great! I'm so happy for you!

My paperwork was sent to the security section (I'm guessing that's DC) on 1/5. Based on your timeline there is very little chance I'll be cleared in time. My office said that they expect background checks will be expedited in response to the freeze, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I know they plan to seek an exemption if I am not cleared, so all is not lost.



Thank you! Don't compare your background check to mine. I'm a duel citizen with 2 passports and a bunch of foreign trips, so just because mine was sent before yours doesn't mean you won't get it until I do. Hoping you get yours ASAP.

That's great to hear about the expediated background checks. Hopefully, now that they are not getting any new ones for a while, they can finish the ones in line.

OPM only does an initial clearance FYI. The full background check comes during the 14 month appointmen while we are working. At least that's what I was told. None of my people have been called yet.

FSK

Platinum
Posts: 8058
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby FSK » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There was a post on the DOJ Honors Attorney Facebook page saying that SLIP has received an exemption from the freeze.

Yes. So far SLIP and VLI are exempted but OARM hasnt made a decision about HP attys yet


Its stressful that they're taking longer to consider.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andythefir

Silver
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby andythefir » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Re: crim AUSA position - I was similarly told today that if I can enter on duty before Feb 22 I'm good. (I'm the person who was transferring whose start date was March 6; I was initially told that I couldn't change my start date to make it ahead of the deadline, but apparently that's not true.)


That's not how I'd put it. I'd say 1 the people with a 2/22 start date are completely excepted from the freeze but, 2 people who have offers extended for jobs that have traditionally qualified as public safety may get a glancing blow from the freeze. Either they will get a waiver from the freeze or they will get a waiver to hire once the freeze is lifted. I don't think it's a 100%/0% decision tree.
Last edited by andythefir on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:48 pm

andythefir wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Re: crim AUSA position - I was similarly told today that if I can enter on duty before Feb 22 I'm good. (I'm the person who was transferring whose start date was March 6; I was initially told that I couldn't change my start date to make it ahead of the deadline, but apparently that's not true.)


That's not how I'd put it. I'd say 1 the people with a 2/22 start date are completely excepted from the freeze but, 2 people who have offers extended for jobs that have traditionally qualified as public service may get a glancing blow from the freeze. Either they will get a waiver from the freeze or they will get a waiver to hire once the freeze is lifted. I don't think it's a 100%/0% decision tree.

I never said it was? My point was only that they were letting me push my start date back to get in before the date that an exception would be required. Didn't say anything about what would happen to people after the 2/22 date.

Npret

Silver
Posts: 1496
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Npret » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:00 pm

andythefir wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Re: crim AUSA position - I was similarly told today that if I can enter on duty before Feb 22 I'm good. (I'm the person who was transferring whose start date was March 6; I was initially told that I couldn't change my start date to make it ahead of the deadline, but apparently that's not true.)


That's not how I'd put it. I'd say 1 the people with a 2/22 start date are completely excepted from the freeze but, 2 people who have offers extended for jobs that have traditionally qualified as public service may get a glancing blow from the freeze. Either they will get a waiver from the freeze or they will get a waiver to hire once the freeze is lifted. I don't think it's a 100%/0% decision tree.

What are you basing this on?
I hope you are right.

Npret

Silver
Posts: 1496
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Npret » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:03 pm

FSK wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There was a post on the DOJ Honors Attorney Facebook page saying that SLIP has received an exemption from the freeze.

Yes. So far SLIP and VLI are exempted but OARM hasnt made a decision about HP attys yet


Its stressful that they're taking longer to consider.


Were SLIP and VPI even covered by the order? I thought temporary summer student type employment wasn't covered. Not sure why I thought that though.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:17 pm

Npret wrote:
andythefir wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Re: crim AUSA position - I was similarly told today that if I can enter on duty before Feb 22 I'm good. (I'm the person who was transferring whose start date was March 6; I was initially told that I couldn't change my start date to make it ahead of the deadline, but apparently that's not true.)


That's not how I'd put it. I'd say 1 the people with a 2/22 start date are completely excepted from the freeze but, 2 people who have offers extended for jobs that have traditionally qualified as public service may get a glancing blow from the freeze. Either they will get a waiver from the freeze or they will get a waiver to hire once the freeze is lifted. I don't think it's a 100%/0% decision tree.

What are you basing this on?
I hope you are right.

I think he means "public safety" rather than "public service."

Npret

Silver
Posts: 1496
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Npret » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:16 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Npret wrote:
andythefir wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Re: crim AUSA position - I was similarly told today that if I can enter on duty before Feb 22 I'm good. (I'm the person who was transferring whose start date was March 6; I was initially told that I couldn't change my start date to make it ahead of the deadline, but apparently that's not true.)


That's not how I'd put it. I'd say 1 the people with a 2/22 start date are completely excepted from the freeze but, 2 people who have offers extended for jobs that have traditionally qualified as public service may get a glancing blow from the freeze. Either they will get a waiver from the freeze or they will get a waiver to hire once the freeze is lifted. I don't think it's a 100%/0% decision tree.

What are you basing this on?
I hope you are right.

I think he means "public safety" rather than "public service."

That makes sense. I assumed all DOJ jobs were public service.

Just in looking at past hiring freezes:
I'm wondering how the DOJ hiring freeze from the recession will be viewed in making these decisions. I know that was budget related but it isn't as if there hasn't been a hiring freeze in the past 5 years already. The last freeze started in 2011 and ended in Feb 2014.

Maybe that's a positive because they have already lost so many people?

Here's Eric Holders announcement on ending the last hiring freeze 3 years ago.
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/attorney ... ing-freeze

There are some ATL posts about the reduction in Honors Program hiring in 2011 but who knows if it has any relevance to hiring under this freeze. (Of course the article links a TLS thread on honors hiring.)
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/08/the-incr ... s-program/

Anonymous User
Posts: 327280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:12 pm

Has anyone heard anthing? I was hoping that a a couple of (business) weeks would at least give folks with offers SOME clarity : (

Anonymous User
Posts: 327280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anthing? I was hoping that a a couple of (business) weeks would at least give folks with offers SOME clarity : (


Nothing here. Emailed HR at the non-DOJ national-security type agency (think DOD, DHS, CIA) I have an offer from soon after the original announcement and again yesterday. Radio silence. I assume the exception for national security will apply, but the wait is super frustrating. I need time to mentally prepare if I have to go to a firm, rather than my dream job.

User avatar
abogadesq

Silver
Posts: 583
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 1:30 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby abogadesq » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:41 pm

My agency isn't being hit as hard as the others, but our HR department is basically putting all new hires that haven't officially started on standby. They aren't saying "forget about it," but they aren't providing much more guidance than to just wait it out for who knows how long.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:29 pm

Honors hire from a section whose mission is probably antithetical to Bannon's view of America. Told not to make life decisions yet re: move to DC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Honors hire from a section whose mission is probably antithetical to Bannon's view of America. Told not to make life decisions yet re: move to DC.


Potentially same. Did they give you any idea on timing?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:32 pm

Double post.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:50 am

Anyone from DOJ Antitrust have a feeling on this? I need to unfortunately move soon, so the job is hugely relevant.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:32 pm

I was offered a crim AUSA position in late December and my pre-employment security clearance is pending. Here is what I've learned from HR and AUSA contacts:

1. Bottom-line, up front: Further guidance on DOJ exemptions (including with respect to tentative offers that predate the freeze order) will be issued only after the new Attorney General (presumably Jeff Sessions) is confirmed and takes office.
2. The USAOs first thought AUSA hiring was exempt from the freeze, but received further guidance that they were not per se exempt and would have to request individual waivers or wait for the agency to request a blanket exemption. I presume that this guidance is what is reflected in the January 25 and January 31 memos from OMB.
3. Notably, AUSAs were not considered exempt public safety/national security positions in the previous hiring freeze (circa 2013).
4. The "big meeting" that another user referenced around January 26 was with OARM and the USAOs. The purpose of the meeting was to take questions from USAOs. My understanding is that the following guidance was given during this meeting was (1) the DOJ should seek as few individual waivers as possible and would thus prefer to secure a broad exemption; (2) USAOs should continue processing pre-employment paperwork for tentative offers, but await further guidance about agency exemptions before extending a final offer/start date; and (3) further guidance will be forthcoming after the new AG takes office.

So any further guidance will depend on the new AG, and won't be issued until one is appointed. If you've been watching the hearings, there is really no telling when that might happen.

FSK

Platinum
Posts: 8058
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby FSK » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:35 pm

Sessions will get confirmed today in the most likely scenario. They'll quickly swear him in.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MillerTime15

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby MillerTime15 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:49 pm

FSK wrote:Sessions will get confirmed today in the most likely scenario. They'll quickly swear him in.


Per CNN, DeVos' confirmation vote is scheduled for Tuesday and Sessions won't be confirmed until sometime after her. Republicans apparently need to keep Sessions as a senator at least until that vote in order to ensure that she is confirmed.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/06/politics/devos-session-senate-vote-tuesday/
Last edited by MillerTime15 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FSK

Platinum
Posts: 8058
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby FSK » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:51 pm

MillerTime15 wrote:
FSK wrote:Sessions will get confirmed today in the most likely scenario. They'll quickly swear him in.


Per CNN, DeVos' confirmation vote is scheduled for Tuesday and Sessions won't be confirmed until sometime after her. Republicans apparently need to keep Sessions as a senator until after that vote in order to ensure that she is confirmed.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/06/politics/devos-session-senate-vote-tuesday/


Oh didn't see that it was delayed, I assumed the comeback vote would be devoss since cloture was friday.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327280
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:02 pm

FSK wrote:Sessions will get confirmed today in the most likely scenario. They'll quickly swear him in.


Anonymous User wrote:If you've been watching the hearings, there is really no telling when that might happen.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.