Hiring Freezes??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Apparently DOJ ORAM is formally requesting an exemption for entire honors program, as all offers were extended pre 1/22/17

How do you know this? Did they request exemptions for lateral hires with offers pre-Jan 22 as well?

Not the quoted anon, but this info likely came from a recent post in the DOJ Honors Facebook group. See below.

I received this update from my hiring contact today, "the Honors Program has been exempt from prior freezes and [OARM] is seeking an exemption from the current freeze. We hope to have an answer soon and will provide you with an update once we receive further guidance."

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:11 pm

jhepp22 wrote:Thanks for responding.

No problem, jhepp22.

Sincerely, your friend jhepp22.

Dnova002

New

Postby Dnova002 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:42 pm

jhepp22 wrote:So it sounds like tentative offers without a start date are up to the head of the agency from what I get from the memos. So going on a case by case basis, would they consider the head of the agency the head person in Washington or would it be the boss or director at the office or place of work you applied for?

They told me they intend to honor my tentative offer. Also heard from a few friends who had their TO's honored. Don't loose faith.

jhepp22

New

Postby jhepp22 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:05 pm

What agency did you apply for?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:33 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
jessuf wrote:
jhepp22 wrote:Well jhepp22, I think your screwed. Idk if they are gonna honor tentative offers it sounds like no or I havent heard of any I guess. It looks like a job with FSA would not qualify for any special circumstances. All I can say is that you should have been aware of the freeze and started applying earlier. It's no one else's fault but yours you don't have a job out of college.

Mod edit: user has been warned for using the anonymous feature to sock puppet.

LOL this is amazing

This should be bannable...

EDIT: I guess humiliation works too

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:38 pm

He sock puppeted himself, which he's not allowed to do, but to no measurable harm. It's a little bit weird to post that anon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:43 pm

How do you guys think the new memo affects paid summer interns?

A Nony Mouse

New

Postby A Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:50 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:He sock puppeted himself, which he's not allowed to do, but to no measurable harm. It's a little bit weird to post that anon.

I agree A Nony Mouse! Truly you are the wisest of moderators.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:58 pm

A Nony Mouse wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:He sock puppeted himself, which he's not allowed to do, but to no measurable harm. It's a little bit weird to post that anon.

I agree A Nony Mouse! Truly you are the wisest of moderators.

:lol: dude, I am so sleep deprived right now, this TOTALLY confused me for a moment.

jess

Diamond

Postby jess » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:43 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

jess

Diamond

Postby jess » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:44 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:29 pm

jessuf wrote:

Was it jhepp again!

Jhepp is probably just a Nony alt, but Nony doesn't realize that she's alting. It's like Fight Club.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:11 pm

I think the best part is that he was sock puppeting to berate himself

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:31 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:I think the best part is that he was sock puppeting to berate himself

I also enjoyed the intentional bad grammar and spelling in the sock-puppet post.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:16 pm

The "decision maker" at an agency told me that while the freeze has halted their hiring process, and that they can't proceed with my second interview, that they would contact me once the feeeze is lifted. Should I take this as good news, or is this sort of just "leave us alone, it's over" talk?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The "decision maker" at an agency told me that while the freeze has halted their hiring process, and that they can't proceed with my second interview, that they would contact me once the feeeze is lifted. Should I take this as good news, or is this sort of just "leave us alone, it's over" talk?

90 days is a long time to "wait and see." If I were you, I would be looking at backup plans.

Dnova002

New

Postby Dnova002 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:13 pm

jhepp22 wrote:What agency did you apply for?

USAO.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:02 am

What do you guys think about the provision that in asking for an exemption that the requesting person include "consequence of not filing ithe position within 3-6 months"

"Explain the urgency of the need and the consequences of not filling the position within a 3 to 6 month timeline. Agencies must also notify their respective OMB Resource Management Office of exemption requests to OPM under this provision."

Where does the 6 month period come from? Is this going to possibly be 6 months and not just 90 days? Could the freeze be extended for an additional 90 days while the attrition plan is being implemented?

Note this applies to exemption requests which covers the honors program.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:13 am

Npret wrote:What do you guys think about the provision that in asking for an exemption that the requesting person include "consequence of not filing ithe position within 3-6 months"

"Explain the urgency of the need and the consequences of not filling the position within a 3 to 6 month timeline. Agencies must also notify their respective OMB Resource Management Office of exemption requests to OPM under this provision."

Where does the 6 month period come from? Is this going to possibly be 6 months and not just 90 days? Could the freeze be extended for an additional 90 days while the attrition plan is being implemented?

I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen until the OMB/OPM plan is released. They may continue the freeze as is (at least for certain agencies), or they may lift it and replace it with their attrition plan (which may also include agency freezes).

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:20 am

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Npret wrote:What do you guys think about the provision that in asking for an exemption that the requesting person include "consequence of not filing ithe position within 3-6 months"

I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen until the OMB/OPM plan is released. They may continue the freeze as is (at least for certain agencies), or they may lift it and replace it with their attrition plan (which may also include agency freezes).

I would expect that some freezes will continue because otherwise how would attrition reduce the workforce. Someone must know what plans are being considered.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The "decision maker" at an agency told me that while the freeze has halted their hiring process, and that they can't proceed with my second interview, that they would contact me once the feeeze is lifted. Should I take this as good news, or is this sort of just "leave us alone, it's over" talk?

90 days is a long time to "wait and see." If I were you, I would be looking at backup plans.

If it worked out I'd be willing to wait 3 or 4 months. I just wonder if anyone else has heard something similar to this and whether I should take it as a good thing or as nothing at all.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:15 am

I don't think anyone knows what any of this means yet. I'm sure that an agency that got frozen in the middle of a search and has identified candidates they like will, if possible, go back to those candidates, because no one likes redoing work they already did and no one will want to go through applications again. But it's not clear whether all agencies will be able to do that, or whether they will be required to start over, or whether they will ever get to fill the position, or what.

The fact that the freeze happened doesn't change the way they felt about you as an applicant. But we just still don't know what options are going to be there after the freeze.

(Also I don't think you can take that statement as a comment on where you stood in their candidate pool, if that's what you're thinking. It means they still want to interview you. Beyond that no one knows anything.)

Sorry to sound discouraging.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:35 pm

Dnova002 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Tentative offer. Background check pending. Sent 12/07. Just got the call, praise the lord, as long as my clearance is done by 2/22 and I start by then, I am good. Big meeting just finished, so news should be coming.

Praying for all of you.

Are you heading into a criminal AUSA position? HR told me that they aren't concerned because criminal AUSAs have qualified as public safety every time so far, and even if they didn't, extended offers have been honored every time so far. I think the 2/22 start date is for all kinds of jobs. I would be a touch concerned about them finishing the background check in time to get a 2/22 start date because there's got to be a ton of people in the same situation and my check took several months.

Yes, criminal AUSA. I'll take the exception if I'm out of the 2/22, but they said they reached out to DC and were told it's in the last stages of review. Which translated to any day now.

Did you end up getting your clearance? I'm gauging my timeline against yours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:55 pm

Re: crim AUSA position - I was similarly told today that if I can enter on duty before Feb 22 I'm good. (I'm the person who was transferring whose start date was March 6; I was initially told that I couldn't change my start date to make it ahead of the deadline, but apparently that's not true.)

Return to “Legal Employment?