Hiring Freezes??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://patch.com/texas/southaustin/trump-hiring-freezes-has-chilling-effect-austin-workers-who-had-already-accepted

Also read on some DoD blogs that the same thing is going on there.

DoD has not issued guidance, and if it has, it has not been sent down the line.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:http://patch.com/texas/southaustin/trump-hiring-freezes-has-chilling-effect-austin-workers-who-had-already-accepted

From some other federal blogs re: DoD

"Official as of this morning January 25, 2017:
DoD is under a hiring freeze. Per OSD direction: It applies to all prospective employees who had not entered onto duty as of 12 noon, January 22, 2017. It further applies to appointments of current Federal employees from other agencies into the DoD or a Military Department; appointments of current Federal employees moving between or within the DoD and a Military Department or between Military Departments; and reassignments or promotions of current Federal employees within any organization of the DoD or a Military Department. And it applies regardless of the status of any preexisting hiring discussions, tentative offers, or steps in preparation for a firm offer (such as drug testing or security investigations)."

FSK

Platinum

Postby FSK » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:53 pm

Well that seems bad.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FSK

Platinum

Postby FSK » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

DoD is under a hiring freeze. Per OSD direction: It applies to all prospective employees who had not entered onto duty as of 12 noon, January 22, 2017. It further applies to appointments of current Federal employees from other agencies into the DoD or a Military Department; appointments of current Federal employees moving between or within the DoD and a Military Department or between Military Departments; and reassignments or promotions of current Federal employees within any organization of the DoD or a Military Department. And it applies regardless of the status of any preexisting hiring discussions, tentative offers, or steps in preparation for a firm offer (such as drug testing or security investigations)."

Do you have a link for this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:58 pm

FSK wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you have a link for this?

Federal Soup
https://forum.federalsoup.com/default.a ... post832562

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:04 pm

So does the DOD frequently post news and announcements exclusively in random threads?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:17 pm

I think it's fair to think that federal employees might post materials they receive through their agency online, sure. Obviously it's worth what you paid to get that info.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:32 pm

FSK wrote:Well that seems bad.

Depends on what "entered onto duty" means but yea, it doesn't sound like good news.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Last we were told (late yesterday), DoD has halted all hiring-related actions pending further guidance that would be developed in days to come. If the info provided above is further guidance, it has yet to reach non-HQ offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:59 pm

Accepted offer, passed background check, waiting for start date with a USAO. Heard back from HR today, they said under every prior freeze USAO offers had been honored. They also said the acting AG is very pro-USAO, and therefore did not anticipate issues in generously interpreting both what is a vacancy and what is public safety.

People with accepted USAO offers, in other words, have been fine in other times where this kind of thing has happened. But other times this has happened have also been implemented by people who were not Trump.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Accepted offer, passed background check, waiting for start date with a USAO. Heard back from HR today, they said under every prior freeze USAO offers had been honored. They also said the acting AG is very pro-USAO, and therefore did not anticipate issues in generously interpreting both what is a vacancy and what is public safety.

People with accepted USAO offers, in other words, have been fine in other times where this kind of thing has happened. But other times this has happened have also been implemented by people who were not Trump.

Damn I hope you're right. (My HR people hadn't heard anything yet when I spoke to them yesterday, but I got another form to fill out this morning.)

But this does really suck for so many people, I really hope it gets resolved quickly and everyone lands on their feet. (Including me!)

nevdash

Bronze

Postby nevdash » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Accepted offer, passed background check, waiting for start date with a USAO. Heard back from HR today, they said under every prior freeze USAO offers had been honored. They also said the acting AG is very pro-USAO, and therefore did not anticipate issues in generously interpreting both what is a vacancy and what is public safety.

Either way, I'm so sorry that you all are having to deal with this. Remembering the stress that's inherent to a background investigation, I can't imagine dealing with this added worry. Just tell yourself the same thing that I tell myself to assuage worries about PSLF going away retroactively: although it doesn't always happen, the government tends to act fairly.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:03 pm

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:07 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:OMB issued guidance.

Anyone who received an offer before Jan 22 and has a confirmed start date on or before Feb 22 is okay. Those offers should not be rescinded.

If the start date is after Feb 22 or not confirmed, it'll be up to the agency head whether to revoke the offer.

So anyone who accepted an honors position for instance could be shit outta luck?

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:18 pm

x
Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FSK

Platinum

Postby FSK » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:19 pm

I think this is good news, at least for the big honors programs

FSK

Platinum

Postby FSK » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Man, fuck politico pro for not just publishing the memo.

Anyone got it?

Dnova002

New

Postby Dnova002 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Out of curiosity, how long after you submitted your background stuff did it take for you to get your clearance. Sent my 12/07 and still nothing. Trying to figure out about how long they usually take.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:03 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:18 pm

When it mentions no firm start date, do you think this is referring to both formal and tentative offers?

This is from another forum: "my HR rep even told me that TO's are not job offers and would not be safe from a hiring freeze."
Source: https://forum.federalsoup.com/default.a ... post832666

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:56 pm

Just to reassure folks, I talked with my agency and was assured that HP hires would very likely be exempted. Basically, they said they were about 99% sure. Don't ask me which agency. I hope everything works out for everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:19 pm

Fuck.

For those too lazy to click. It's a CLEAR recession.

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Postby ConfusedL1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:29 pm

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/o ... nes-234173

No one is safe.

"The Office of Management and Budget issued guidance Wednesday directed at agency heads on how to implement the president’s across-the-board hiring freeze of federal workers.

Workers who were offered a job on or before Jan. 22 and have documentation showing a start date of Feb. 22 or earlier should report to work, according to the memo sent by OMB acting director Mark Sandy.

Workers whose start date falls later than Feb. 22, or who do not have a start date, may have their job offers revoked. The memo leaves agency heads to determine whether to revoke job offers. They are instructed to consider “merit system principles, essential mission priorities, and current agency resources and funding levels.”

The memo says departments and agencies are allowed to reallocate workers to “ensure essential services are not interrupted and to ensure national security is not affected.” They may also make limited exceptions to the hiring freeze “that they deem necessary to ensure national security or public safety.”

More guidance on the hiring freeze is forthcoming, according to the memo.

Josh Gerstein contributed to this report."

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:35 pm

I get the concerns, but I thought the guidance from OMB was actually pretty encouraging. It doesn't require revoking prior offers, and seems to give quite a lot of discretion to agency heads and allow for exceptions.

Return to “Legal Employment?