Hiring Freezes??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nynaeve

Re: Hiring Freezes??

Postby Nynaeve » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Anyone know how long the last few hiring freezes lasted?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:55 pm

Nynaeve wrote:Anyone know how long the last few hiring freezes lasted?

This one is supposed to expire either within 90 days or whenever OMB/OPM releases their new "plan." I don't think anyone knows whether hiring freezes will continue through the plan or not. It may depend on the agency. It's all speculative at this point.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:11 pm

I would guess that the "freeze" will become permanent for non-favored agencies as an attempt to smother them, while favored agencies see a boom in hiring. There's a stated goal to "reduce the federal workforce through attrition" in the upcoming OPM plan, which could mean that the freeze becomes more or less permanent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:10 pm

I applied for a Paralegal position with the USAO through the Pathways for Recent Graduates program last fall and accepted a tentative offer mid-December. They completed my employer vouchering, I passed a drug screen, and HR submitted my background check info mid-January and I was told it was being expedited to beat the Feb 22 deadline.

As of today I don't believe any of my people have been called. I am in regular contact with HR but they said hang tight and they'll call me when they hear anything. With next monday the 20th being a federal holiday and only a few days left until the deadline I'm not very optimistic

globetrotter659

Postby globetrotter659 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:56 pm

CBP is running tv ads in the DMV media market. You get to play with ATVs and Predator drones!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:12 am

I'm one of the AUSAs waiting on clearance. I was cleared this morning and I start on Tuesday. They said that they expect a lot of clearances to come through this week. I hope everyone gets the news they are hoping for soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm one of the AUSAs waiting on clearance. I was cleared this morning and I start on Tuesday. They said that they expect a lot of clearances to come through this week. I hope everyone gets the news they are hoping for soon.

A request from someone currently clerking who left practice with a desperate and singular desire to be an AUSA, please keep those of us with near-future/future hopes updated about how the freeze will play out.

MillerTime15

Postby MillerTime15 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:09 am

The White House is preparing a new executive order to require agencies to plan and suggest ways to reorganize the government.

. . .

The draft order coincides with a growing concern among agency budget officials about dramatic cuts to agency discretionary spending.

A federal deputy chief financial officer, who requested anonymity to speak about internal budget discussions, said they’ve been told to expect reductions of 5 percent-to-20 percent starting in fiscal 2018, but really taking hold in 2019.

The deputy CFO said any spending reduction larger than 10 percent would mean their agency would have to layoff federal employees. The source said most agencies would face similar workforce decisions.

http://federalnewsradio.com/omb/2017/02/white-house-prepping-government-reorg-executive-order/

So even if we get hired despite the freeze, we might all get laid off in 2019. Cool.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:19 pm

1L student here -- recently received an interview request at a government agency in DC. This program has paid law clerks in the past on a salary, and a pretty decent one. I accepted the interview, but then was told they are no longer paying clerks this summer due to the hiring freeze. Since I have been aiming for firm positions (and had my head in the books), this is the only government job I applied to. I haven't been paying that much attention to what the hiring freeze entails. Obviously I am not happy about the possibility of not being paid this summer if I took this job, but can someone describe what this means? Is it possible that it can be reversed? :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L student here -- recently received an interview request at a government agency in DC. This program has paid law clerks in the past on a salary, and a pretty decent one. I accepted the interview, but then was told they are no longer paying clerks this summer due to the hiring freeze. Since I have been aiming for firm positions (and had my head in the books), this is the only government job I applied to. I haven't been paying that much attention to what the hiring freeze entails. Obviously I am not happy about the possibility of not being paid this summer if I took this job, but can someone describe what this means? Is it possible that it can be reversed? :(

The freeze is supposed to last 90 days or until OMB/OPM release their plan to reduce the federal workforce. While there is a chance that once the freeze is lifted, everything will go back to normal with your agency and you could get paid, I don't think it will happen. People are having their job offers revoked right now, so I don't see them making exceptions for interns. Also, it really depends on what agency you're working for and whether Trump considers it "essential." No one really knows what is going to happen.

Anything is possible, but if you have an opportunity to work for a decent firm, I would take that over government right now. It seems like that was your goal anyway considering you only applied to one agency.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:55 am

Just received news that my honors program offer (non-DOJ) will be exempted from the freeze.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just received news that my honors program offer (non-DOJ) will be exempted from the freeze.

Congrats! That's got to be a huge relief. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied for a Paralegal position with the USAO through the Pathways for Recent Graduates program last fall and accepted a tentative offer mid-December. They completed my employer vouchering, I passed a drug screen, and HR submitted my background check info mid-January and I was told it was being expedited to beat the Feb 22 deadline.

As of today I don't believe any of my people have been called. I am in regular contact with HR but they said hang tight and they'll call me when they hear anything. With next monday the 20th being a federal holiday and only a few days left until the deadline I'm not very optimistic

Update: I received a call from my supervisor today and I will be starting Tuesday, February 21st!

Npret

Postby Npret » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L student here -- recently received an interview request at a government agency in DC. This program has paid law clerks in the past on a salary, and a pretty decent one. I accepted the interview, but then was told they are no longer paying clerks this summer due to the hiring freeze. Since I have been aiming for firm positions (and had my head in the books), this is the only government job I applied to. I haven't been paying that much attention to what the hiring freeze entails. Obviously I am not happy about the possibility of not being paid this summer if I took this job, but can someone describe what this means? Is it possible that it can be reversed? :(

If they've already told you they aren't paying you I think there is 0% chance they will reverse that decision. Many agencies don't need to pay interns orlaw clerks to get good applicants.

Npret

Postby Npret » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I applied for a Paralegal position with the USAO through the Pathways for Recent Graduates program last fall and accepted a tentative offer mid-December. They completed my employer vouchering, I passed a drug screen, and HR submitted my background check info mid-January and I was told it was being expedited to beat the Feb 22 deadline.

Update: I received a call from my supervisor today and I will be starting Tuesday, February 21st!

Congrats.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:11 am

Hooray people beating the freeze!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:38 am

I am another one of those offered a crim AUSA spot pre-hiring freeze. Offer was accepted and security application submitted mid-December.

Received news on Wednesday that my background check had completed. Signed a drug test waiver so they don't have to wait for those results to come back from the lab before proceeding with the onboarding process.

I am told that everything is in place to start on or before Feb. 22, but haven't received final confirmation just yet. (In this case, "starting" involves being placed on the payroll on inactive status until I have enough time to provide notice to my current employer, make moving arrangements, etc.)

Good luck to everyone. The uncertainty of this whole process has certainly worn my nerves a bit.

mdaoca

Postby mdaoca » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:30 pm

Why is DOJ going the slowest of all the agencies? I know several people who applied to different fed gov positions who have heard, and other department have at least announced policies; nothing from DOJ.

This article makes it sound like we are just at the mercy of our section chief to make the case for us; here's hoping.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on- ... 8c96fcba22

Eht274

Postby Eht274 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am another one of those offered a crim AUSA spot pre-hiring freeze. Offer was accepted and security application submitted mid-December.

Received news on Wednesday that my background check had completed. Signed a drug test waiver so they don't have to wait for those results to come back from the lab before proceeding with the onboarding process.

I am told that everything is in place to start on or before Feb. 22, but haven't received final confirmation just yet. (In this case, "starting" involves being placed on the payroll on inactive status until I have enough time to provide notice to my current employer, make moving arrangements, etc.)

Good luck to everyone. The uncertainty of this whole process has certainly worn my nerves a bit.

Congrats! Once you "start" at the USAO without pay, will you be allowed to keep your job with your current employer before you are paid by the USAO?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Has anyone heard from DOJ hiring offices and/or OARM the expected timeline for additional guidance re: the Honors program and hiring freeze? Days, weeks, months?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from DOJ hiring offices and/or OARM the expected timeline for additional guidance re: the Honors program and hiring freeze? Days, weeks, months?

Spoke with them today. No exemption yet. No expected timeline. Waiting on word from above.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:56 am

Any updates from folks? Still radio silence from my agency : ( (offer pre Jan 22)

redsox550

Postby redsox550 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
The freeze is supposed to last 90 days or until OMB/OPM release their plan to reduce the federal workforce. While there is a chance that once the freeze is lifted, everything will go back to normal with your agency and you could get paid, I don't think it will happen. People are having their job offers revoked right now, so I don't see them making exceptions for interns. Also, it really depends on what agency you're working for and whether Trump considers it "essential." No one really knows what is going to happen.

When exactly is the 90 days supposed to end?

MrT

Postby MrT » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:00 pm

redsox550 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

When exactly is the 90 days supposed to end?

April 23rd is 90 days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:10 pm

I was told by HR that they don't know when the decision is coming, but the feeling is that criminal prosecutors will be exempted for public safety reasons. The entire criminal division of DOJ has applied together for an exemption for hires and the hope/expectation is that they will just get a blanket approval, rather than actually going case by case through each hire.

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates from folks? Still radio silence from my agency : ( (offer pre Jan 22)

Return to “Legal Employment”