NYC Public Defenders - where can I afford to live??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC Public Defenders - where can I afford to live??

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:52 pm

hey guys - if anyone has any input i'd appreciate it! I have a final round interview with a NYC PD office that i interned at and absolutely love. While I don't have an offer yet, I've been a little worried about surviving on a PD salary in NYC if I do end up getting an offer. I realize I can also go to google for this but just wanted to see if current NYC PD's are lurking here and had any recommendations of cheap but safe neighborhoods. thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: NYC Public Defenders - where can I afford to live??

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:07 pm

It's a big city. There are tons of places to live if you're poor that are also not terrible. No, you won't be living in SoHo, but you can still do well for yourself. What office are you thinking about? That will largely affect the answers to your questions. Bronx and Queens, for example, are much easier to find affordable housing. BK, you can probably live in Prospect / Crown Heights for a reasonable amount. Manhattan....I'd live in Brooklyn.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:52 pm

Depends where you'll be working, but I think you'll find many people live with a roommate or two (or a SO) in Bed Stuy, Crown Heights, Astoria, Sunnyside, or further out in central or southern Brooklyn (places like Kensington, Sunset Park, Bay Ridge). If you're working in Manhattan or the Bronx, parts of Harlem, Washington Heights, or Inwood are options.

The good news is there aren't that many truly unsafe neighborhoods in NYC anymore. The bad news is there aren't that many affordable neighborhoods either. But you can find a place that's affordable on a PD salary with roommates in most of these areas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:18 pm

What do you do if you currently live with an SO who will also be earning a low amount of money (~50k)? I think it'd be hard for us to share a small room in someone else's apt; are there any good neighborhoods to look in where we may be able to afford our own place? I'm looking to live somewhere in Queens or BK.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's a big city. There are tons of places to live if you're poor that are also not terrible. No, you won't be living in SoHo, but you can still do well for yourself. What office are you thinking about? That will largely affect the answers to your questions. Bronx and Queens, for example, are much easier to find affordable housing. BK, you can probably live in Prospect / Crown Heights for a reasonable amount. Manhattan....I'd live in Brooklyn.

Are you really equating a 40-50k salary as "poor" in NYC? :| :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:16 pm

I got by on $55k my first year in NYC with savings left over. Lived in Crown Heights with a roommate and loved it. Prospect Park is beautiful. Definitely look at Brooklyn.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's a big city. There are tons of places to live if you're poor that are also not terrible. No, you won't be living in SoHo, but you can still do well for yourself. What office are you thinking about? That will largely affect the answers to your questions. Bronx and Queens, for example, are much easier to find affordable housing. BK, you can probably live in Prospect / Crown Heights for a reasonable amount. Manhattan....I'd live in Brooklyn.

It sadly is pretty poor considering the cost of rent.

jingosaur

Gold

Postby jingosaur » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:34 pm

With an SO, your best bet is to look for a true one bedroom in the aforementioned neighborhoods. Studios with an SO suck. You can probably find something for around $2000 per month which is affordable if split both ways.

If you are implying that you'd rather buy than rent, that isn't going to happen unless you have a family member who can write a big check.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:What do you do if you currently live with an SO who will also be earning a low amount of money (~50k)? I think it'd be hard for us to share a small room in someone else's apt; are there any good neighborhoods to look in where we may be able to afford our own place? I'm looking to live somewhere in Queens or BK.

Two people making a combined $100-110k or so should have absolutely no problem affording a 1BR.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:28 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What do you do if you currently live with an SO who will also be earning a low amount of money (~50k)? I think it'd be hard for us to share a small room in someone else's apt; are there any good neighborhoods to look in where we may be able to afford our own place? I'm looking to live somewhere in Queens or BK.

Two people making a combined $100-110k or so should have absolutely no problem affording a 1BR.

Yeah, $1000/ea. per month is fantastic for NYC. Not sure if you have to live in NYC to work for the PD's office (or is that only DA?), but you could look at NJ or White Plains if you're going to be in a Manhattan office. I found 1 brs in Hoboken/JC for ~$2,300, and they were really nice (W/D, elevator, etc.).

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Postby CaptainLeela » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:21 pm

Welcome to TLS

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:34 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

Where are good neighborhoods in Queens for someone with that combined income, with pets? Ideally on the 7 or the F line. If you can get as specific as "I know a guy with a cat and three pythons paying $2k to live on X Street and Y Avenue," all the better.

I did look into Astoria, but am essentially priced out because I have cats (aside from it not being on a convenient line for me).

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

Where are good neighborhoods in Queens for someone with that combined income, with pets? Ideally on the 7 or the F line. If you can get as specific as "I know a guy with a cat and three pythons paying $2k to live on X Street and Y Avenue," all the better.

I did look into Astoria, but am essentially priced out because I have cats (aside from it not being on a convenient line for me).

I would be surprised if you were actually priced out of Astoria, but I guess I don't know your budget, and as you say it's not convenient for you anyway.

Look at Sunnyside and Woodside (on the 7), Jackson Heights (on the 7 and F among others), and Forest Hills (on the F). All very safe neighborhoods with plenty to do, although lacking the hip Brooklyn (and, to a lesser extent, LIC/Astoria) thing.

I like Jackson Heights for train options, easy access to Manhattan, affordability, and amenties nearby. It can be a little hectic around the train stations. Forest Hills is quieter but still has a lot of shops/restaurants/etc.

I don't think pets/no pets is a neighborhood-specific thing. You'll find places that are ok with pets in any of them. Easier to find a place with cats than dogs, so you've got that going for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:03 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:I would be surprised if you were actually priced out of Astoria, but I guess I don't know your budget, and as you say it's not convenient for you anyway.

Astoria is apparently not very pet-friendly (or at least, the parts of it that I looked in weren't pet-friendly). Most places wanted 2-3 mo. up front for the cats; I can afford the standard 1 mo/1 mo security, but my budget doesn't really allow for paying $6-8k upfront. For cats.

Thanks for the specific neighborhoods; I'll look into them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:41 pm

Well there's a solid 2000 public defenders in NYC that all manage to get by....

Plenty of wonderful places to live in both Brooklyn and Harlem, depending on where you will be working. Which organization? Real concern is if you are going to LAS and won't know which borough you will be in until late summer

nyc0522

New

Postby nyc0522 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:42 pm

In that case you'll be making a combined 100k and will basically be rich. Well, at least compared to your clients... But for real, 100k joint salary is more than enough to afford a solid apartment in a nice neighborhood. Check out Clinton Hill and Prospect Heights.

nyc0522

New

Postby nyc0522 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:45 pm

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Postby Abbie Doobie » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Return to “Legal Employment�