Has this worked for anyone?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Trevorange

New

Re: Has this worked for anyone?

Postby Trevorange » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here,

To the FascinatedAliceinWonderLand guy that simply does not get the context that LOR in this case means Letter of Rejection.

Maybe if you leave wonderland and come to reality, you may be able to better see contexts and verbiage as used in different settings. Simply put, words, and more specifically acronyms, have different meanings in different penumbras. In this scenario, it is easy to tease out the meaning that LOR means Letter of Rejection.

I can't even begin to imagine why a firm wouldn't want to hire this personality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:37 am

Give the kid a break, guys; it's probably the desperation that makes him loopy.

To OP: Striking out changes people's personalities and you may start feeling/acting more irritable. Don't. It's that kind of mentality that ruins careers. Are you K-JD? If so, work hard to build up your resume, and network/build connections. Contrary to what people say, it's not over until you graduate. One of my best friends from school struck out after going all-in on a city that wasn't New York. (She's very smart, just took some bad advice re bidding) She started going to networking events, calling in favors, making friends with professors who knew local partners. By February she had a job at a V25 in the city she wanted, and by graduation had an Article III clerkship.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:23 pm

^^^^Good advice above. I had several friends strike out at OCI and then got V10 offers as 3Ls by networking and focusing on the busy practice groups.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:10 pm

I hope the advice doesn't get too good though. I'm rather fond of my summer firm and I'd like to protect it from people like this poster :shock:

run26.2

Silver

Postby run26.2 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:46 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:I hope the advice doesn't get too good though. I'm rather fond of my summer firm and I'd like to protect it from people like this poster :shock:

You have a rude awakening coming if you think this anywhere near the worst or most annoying kind of behavior you will see at a law firm.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:01 pm

Agree with cutting OP a little slack. Stress + rejection can make people weird.

OP, lots of people struggle at OCI and go on to do just fine. Don't spend your energy trying to backdoor your way into this firm: spend your time and energy on other opportunities. Big law firms are largely interchangeable anyway.

Anrikl

New

Postby Anrikl » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:02 pm

I read, but do not understand how one thing is related to another. The author, perhaps you made a mistake in the explanation, nothing personal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:39 pm

run26.2 wrote:
FascinatedWanderer wrote:I hope the advice doesn't get too good though. I'm rather fond of my summer firm and I'd like to protect it from people like this poster :shock:

You have a rude awakening coming if you think this anywhere near the worst or most annoying kind of behavior you will see at a law firm.

Same anon as above, and agree with ^

I learned during the time I spent in Biglaw that crazy is not limited to entry-level or even junior associates. One partner at my old firm threw a sizable object out a window, and a senior associate could not "hold her liquor" at all (that is an euphemism). There were also folks cheating on their wives or husbands, reliving their college days, and leaving items in public places that have no business being left out in the open. We lawyers are a strange breed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:20 pm

Op long rant deleted.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:O the Fuckin P here,

Hell yes, I'm stressed out. It feels like I took a bullet to my damn chest. Damn! I always wanted BigLaw and had the grades but just not at the right tier level school. Fuck, it's done. BigLaw gone, and a dreaded soul remains.

I don't want to fucking lateral after spending three years shitting my life away. I wanted big from the start, but hell, everyone can't have what the fuck they want. Now I gave up. I'm going to be making all C's this year probably because once you strike out 3L OCI is a joke. Don't even start me on AIII.

Are you the same OP wanting a back door to biglaw?

Anyway, don't be so negative. People do get jobs as 3Ls. Just keep hustling.

jchiles

Silver

Postby jchiles » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:31 pm

I don't blame you for feeling crappy but remember you have at least a year and a half until you are even able to work somewhere for real. A lot can happen in that time and people make plenty of money (albeit not right away) in other legal careers than big law.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:20 pm

I really enjoyed the turn of phrase "a dreaded soul remains." There's some real writing talent in there somewhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:32 am

OP here,

Fascinated, thank you. We can just leave it from here. I'm fucking done as is man. You're not a bad guy!

JusticeJackson

Silver

Postby JusticeJackson » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:25 am

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:27 pm

Above anon that isn't OP.

To OP: If you're done struggling simply because you failed once, then perhaps you underestimated Biglaw. Striking out is a minor setback, not a bullet in the chest, just like Biglaw isn't the job you see in TV. There's no magic folder or phrase, no swaggering into court and delivering brilliant speeches. It's glorified groveling. Every day is a struggle: dealing with clients, dealing with opposing counsel, trying to convince both to take depos in a convenient place, helping your supervising partner convince the judge that your client (or rather, an employee of your client) isn't the waste of space he is. Every day you worry if your practice group has enough business, if the partners have been adequately briefed, if co-defendants aren't selling you out in a plea bargain, if some other firm isn't poaching your other clients while you have your hands full. And then there's the nonstop motions that make you want to scream and file sanctions. Biglaw isn't an end-goal; you can't just get to it and coast/flaunt your studies. It's a caffeine headache at 3 am in the morning.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:03 am

You aren't getting a summer associate position with that firm. You may still have a shot at working there if you re-apply as a 3L. This happened to people in my class. The best way to make that happen is to (1) get a summer associate position at a peer firm or better and (2) maybe write a brief (very, very brief) thank you e-mail to each of the people who interviewed you at the firm that rejected you. It wouldn't hurt to bring your grades up, too.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Postby smallfirmassociate » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:39 pm

It's hard to blame OP for the way he feels when you consider that this forum basically revolves around going to a T14, getting an offer at 2L OCI, and then starting biglaw.

There are a lot of good legal jobs out there, OP. In my opinion, approximately zero of them are in biglaw. Take it as a blessing and go find something decent.

Return to “Legal Employment�