FTC vs. CFPB? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

FTC vs. CFPB?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:32 am

Hey all,

I have summer offers to work in the CFPB and FTC's bureau of consumer protection. Anyone have any input on which one would be better for litigation experience as a new attorney?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Genius

Silver

Re: FTC vs. CFPB?

Post by Genius » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:42 am

My firm litigated against CFPB many times before and they are pretty badass. It looks like you would get great lit exp. Zero idea on the FTC.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:19 am

Better for what?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:22 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Better for what?
Good point. Edited for clarity.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:23 pm

CFPB, most definitely. Plus, if you can hustle and get a job offer, they are paid on the SEC scale (!!!) instead of the GS scale

Also, CFPB is made up of 4 divisions (if I remember correctly), one of those (I think enforcement) is where the majority of litigation occurs

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Quichelorraine

Bronze

Post by Quichelorraine » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:58 am

The CFPB is indeed badass. It is probable, however, that it would not be long for this world in a certain political climate. You may want to delay your decision for, oh, a few more days.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:49 pm

CFPB is the better choice. The consumer protection regs are not going anywhere even if the CFPB does.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:03 pm

Does CFPB do its own litigation? I thought DOJ would litigate for them. As a general matter, "enforcement" divisions in fed agencies only do administrative enforcement, not in-court litigation (with some exceptions like DOL).

FTC Consumer Prot I'm pretty sure litigates though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:21 pm

CFPB has independent litigating authority as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lapolicia

Bronze

Post by lapolicia » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does CFPB do its own litigation? I thought DOJ would litigate for them. As a general matter, "enforcement" divisions in fed agencies only do administrative enforcement, not in-court litigation (with some exceptions like DOL).

All of the financial regulatory agencies do their own civil litigation (both administrative and in court).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:16 pm

Check out their entry-level hiring, if your goal is eventually to get in at one of them. I know FTC Bureau of Competition has a specialized hiring program for law students, but I haven't heard of anything regarding their entry-level hiring in Consumer Practices. CFPB Enforcement hires one or two a year straight out of law school, and they're the best of the best. If your goal is firm, go CFPB - firms are really interested in people with any experiences because it's so new.

Anon because ex gov't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:03 pm

lapolicia wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does CFPB do its own litigation? I thought DOJ would litigate for them. As a general matter, "enforcement" divisions in fed agencies only do administrative enforcement, not in-court litigation (with some exceptions like DOL).

All of the financial regulatory agencies do their own civil litigation (both administrative and in court).

Good to know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Check out their entry-level hiring, if your goal is eventually to get in at one of them. I know FTC Bureau of Competition has a specialized hiring program for law students, but I haven't heard of anything regarding their entry-level hiring in Consumer Practices. CFPB Enforcement hires one or two a year straight out of law school, and they're the best of the best. If your goal is firm, go CFPB - firms are really interested in people with any experiences because it's so new.

Anon because ex gov't.
Look like the CFPB only brought 24 admin and 5 fed actions this year. I'm not sure about the FTC, but that should say something about how active they are.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Check out their entry-level hiring, if your goal is eventually to get in at one of them. I know FTC Bureau of Competition has a specialized hiring program for law students, but I haven't heard of anything regarding their entry-level hiring in Consumer Practices. CFPB Enforcement hires one or two a year straight out of law school, and they're the best of the best. If your goal is firm, go CFPB - firms are really interested in people with any experiences because it's so new.

Anon because ex gov't.
Look like the CFPB only brought 24 admin and 5 fed actions this year. I'm not sure about the FTC, but that should say something about how active they are.
That's actually quite a bit for one year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:35 pm

zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anon because ex gov't.
In the same period FTC brought 16 admin and 44 fed actions, soooo

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anon because ex gov't.
Oh my god! No way! Lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:48 pm

zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anon because ex gov't.
Oh my god! No way! Lol.
I mean, laugh all you want. I'm just saying. The question was about litigation experience and there's no doubt the FTC does more fed work.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:58 pm

Number of actions is also a function of number of attorneys. If the FTC has more attorneys the number of actions they bring doesn't mean any one attorney necessarily gets more experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:39 pm

Hi, did you get an offer for the legal honors/pathways FTC program?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:02 pm

I interviewed with the FTC and they made it seem like litigation was minimal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:35 am

Nebby wrote:CFPB, most definitely. Plus, if you can hustle and get a job offer, they are paid on the SEC scale (!!!) instead of the GS scale

Also, CFPB is made up of 4 divisions (if I remember correctly), one of those (I think enforcement) is where the majority of litigation occurs
Technically they're on the Fed Reserve scale, with Fed Reserve retirement benefits, which tend to be better than SEC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lapolicia

Bronze

Post by lapolicia » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:35 am

Yeah you should go to the FTC after tonight.
Last edited by lapolicia on Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

lapolicia

Bronze

Post by lapolicia » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with the FTC and they made it seem like litigation was minimal.
It depends entirely on the division. In antitrust it's minimal but in consumer protection there's actually a good amount, especially in the regional offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:37 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Number of actions is also a function of number of attorneys. If the FTC has more attorneys the number of actions they bring doesn't mean any one attorney necessarily gets more experience.
^This. Plus, as someone who works for a Financial regulator, I don't really see a difference between administrative lit and fed courts lit. The investigation side is the same --- docs + depos. On the lit side, the motions practice is similar, and basically its the difference between a bench trial and a jury trial at the end of the day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:39 am

Anon because ex gov't.
Honestly, I don't know why you'd want to go to a firm. Usually, people at a firm are trying to get into an enforcement position. In any event, what really matters is the experience you get at an agency. Develop an interesting portfolio and area of expertise, and you'll be marketable to a firm, regardless of which agency you choose.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”