Dual degree - not being able to graduate on time

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dual degree - not being able to graduate on time

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:00 pm

Long story short, I'm enrolled in a JD/___ program and for a variety of reasons, I won't be able to complete my non-JD degree on time. I've accepted a return offer at an NYC firm. Would appreciate some feedback on how much of a problem this will be. TIA.

arklaw13

Gold

Re: Dual degree - not being able to graduate on time

Postby arklaw13 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:12 pm

Can you dump the other degree or take summer classes?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:04 pm

I've known people who defer their offers a year to complete dual degrees. Is that what you're suggesting here? Whether this is available to you will be firm dependent, and probably to some degree dependent on whether your dual degree is remotely helpful or relevant to your practice at the firm. MBA is probably better than an MPA which is probably better than an English literature masters.

gfd973

New

Postby gfd973 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Long story short, I'm enrolled in a JD/___ program and for a variety of reasons, I won't be able to complete my non-JD degree on time. I've accepted a return offer at an NYC firm. Would appreciate some feedback on how much of a problem this will be. TIA.

How the fuck did you manage to accept your offer without informing them that you were a dual degree student? If this is your fuckup, you may need to choose between the extra degree and your firm.

barkschool

Silver

Postby barkschool » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:06 pm

Don't get the other degree

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:48 pm

gfd973 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Long story short, I'm enrolled in a JD/___ program and for a variety of reasons, I won't be able to complete my non-JD degree on time. I've accepted a return offer at an NYC firm. Would appreciate some feedback on how much of a problem this will be. TIA.

How the fuck did you manage to accept your offer without informing them that you were a dual degree student? If this is your fuckup, you may need to choose between the extra degree and your firm.

My reading of this is that they did tell the firm that they were a dual degree student, but based on scheduling/personal/or some other reason, OP was simply not able to take all of the required classes in time. Could be wrong, but that was my assumption of the situation. Honestly, if OP didn't tell firm, that would probably put them in a better spot -- as they could just scrap the second degree. By telling the firm, OP signified that they woudl graduate with both degrees. This is sort of like putting law review on your resume, getting a SA spot and then ditching law review. (Yes, I know these two are different, but best example I could come up with in 10 seconds of thought).

Return to “Legal Employment�