Family Law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Family Law?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 pm

I understand this is in the "shitlaw" category, but wanted to ask people for any insights on this area of the law and for their general opinion on the situation.

Third year associate at a small firm in a smaller secondary market doing mostly low-level work (think contingency work like PI). Have a potential offer from another slightly larger firm where I would be doing basically all things family law. I have heard it can be a pretty depressing area of law, but I do know a current associate at this firm who is pretty happy here and my area right now is pretty depressing/uninteresting as well. I don't have any sort of stats or experience for any big law firms so the work seems mostly irrelevant for exit options.

Eventually, I wouldn't mind opening up a solo practice in my small hometown down the line, where I feel family law experience would be beneficial. Potentially, but no guarantee, I could possibly get some equity stake at my current firm as my boss is likely to retire in 2-3 years. I do not think my current firm will match (but will of course ask).

Family law:
-Would make about 15k more/year
-Matching 401k (currently do not have one)
-Better benefits in general
-Partnership prospects are probably slim
-Less facetime
-Mostly lockstep raises of about 5-10k/year (last raise at current firm was 5k, and it is certainly not lockstep)
-Bonuses are percentage of your billables (currently do not get one; still working on the details at new firm)

Will expand if necessary while still trying to stay anon. Thanks.

(Also, I realize this is currently just a potential offer, but I have pretty good reason to believe I will get one since I have some connections at this particular firm)

Re: Family Law?

Postby FamilyLawEsq » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:01 am

Ask other more senior family law attorneys about the reputation of the lawyers and the firm before you make the jump. If you ultimately want to go solo, definitely get family law experience.

Return to “Legal Employment”