Columbus Ohio Job Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
southo

New

Columbus Ohio Job Market

Postby southo » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:36 pm

Hello everyone, I am a 2016 grad of a T25 in the South. I took and passed the July 2016 Ohio Bar Exam, but due to some crazy circumstances I have no ties to the state of Ohio other than the bar admission. My GPA was about median, I was on the E-board of a secondary journal at school, participated in moot court, and I am currently in a BK clerkship in the South. I am also a URM if that matters.

What are my chances of breaking into the Columbus/Cincinnati job market, specifically midsized firms? Additionally, how should I go about reaching out to firms in this market? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Columbus Ohio Job Market

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:46 pm

You should be fine. Ohio Bar shows the seriousness. The market is not as big as Cleveland (hiring classes are much smaller) but if you interview well you should be as good as you would in any mid-market. Apply broadly, prepare and all that jazz. Take this year to reach out to folks at the firms there. If you share an undergrad, law school or BK judge with anyone in town, they should be contacted asap.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:25 pm

southo wrote:Hello everyone, I am a 2016 grad of a T25 in the South. I took and passed the July 2016 Ohio Bar Exam, but due to some crazy circumstances I have no ties to the state of Ohio other than the bar admission. My GPA was about median, I was on the E-board of a secondary journal at school, participated in moot court, and I am currently in a BK clerkship in the South. I am also a URM if that matters.

What are my chances of breaking into the Columbus/Cincinnati job market, specifically midsized firms? Additionally, how should I go about reaching out to firms in this market? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You will be questioned on ties. I am an associate in a "biglaw" Ohio firm and I do not think it will be as easy as suggested by the above poster. That's not saying you won't get a job, it will just require some work.

I am not sure if you want to practice BK, but there aren't any associate openings right now. I'd expect that to change next year as associates move to bigger markets.

southo

New

Postby southo » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:31 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone, I appreciate it.

moonman157

Silver

Postby moonman157 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:09 pm

Would anyone who has an understanding of the Ohio job market mind PM'ing me? I'm someone with ties and am possibly looking to get back sooner than I expected. Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment�