Crowd sourced clerkship information

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

New

Crowd sourced clerkship information

Postby avatarz » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:56 pm

I was wondering if there was information (crowd sourced or otherwise) out there on the Judges who are still hiring or have not hired yet for a term (I'm looking at 2017). As well as information such as judges who don't use Oscar, traditionally hire for a 2 yr term, or hire for renewable terms. I know OSCAR has some of this information, but its not really a friendly system for researching judges who are not actively hiring.

1styearlateral

Silver

Re: Crowd sourced clerkship information

Postby 1styearlateral » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:36 pm

I'd be interested in this as well, but I think it probably has to do with more with connections/getting lucky, from what I've heard.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:40 pm

the 2017-2018 clerkship thread might have useful info, but what do i know

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:12 pm

OSCAR is terrible in a lot of ways and not very user-friendly, but I found it to be the most helpful source for finding most of the information you're seeking. Even judges who aren't hiring right now often leave filled or expired positions up long enough for you to see (roughly) the most recent term they've hired for and what their start dates/terms are like.

W/r/t judges who don't use OSCAR at all (i.e. their names are grayed out or just missing from the system), I mostly found that judges who aren't on OSCAR have only career clerks, are partially retired, or have some reputation for hiring through personal connections. Judges who want to hire from the general pool of applicants put positions on OSCAR.

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:01 pm

mjb447 wrote:W/r/t judges who don't use OSCAR at all (i.e. their names are grayed out or just missing from the system), I mostly found that judges who aren't on OSCAR have only career clerks, are partially retired, or have some reputation for hiring through personal connections. Judges who want to hire from the general pool of applicants put positions on OSCAR.

The above is terrible information for the D. Ct. judges in the districts I applied to, which I imagine means it's a terrible generalization for the country as a whole. A lot of judges don't use Oscar, I'm assuming both 1) because they prefer paper everything and 2) because it's a sneaky way to limit the amount of applications. And in my experience, the vast majority of those that prefer paper apps are very much active, hire term clerks, and don't hire through personal connections any more than your average OSCAR judge.

So yeah don't listen to that. Send as many OSCAR and paper apps as possible (obviously for 17-18 there's going to be few spots left by now, so it will be tough). Re: figuring out who is still hiring, I would just create a spreadsheet of judges in the districts you're targeting, go look up the courts' websites, and call each judge's chambers and ask. It's a 2 minute phone call, they probably won't ask for your name (if you are paranoid and worried that they'll hold calling against you, which they won't), and if they do ask for your name it's because they're being polite and they'll forget it anyway. Go through the list, and voila! You now know who is hiring and who isn't. With a little luck you might even get to know what type of app a judge prefers, how many spots are left, term lengths, etc etc.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:58 pm

That's definitely true of judges who accept paper only but who post positions or some of the general info that OP seems to be looking for on OSCAR. I just didn't find a ton of judges who aren't on OSCAR at all who were soliciting apps (I did a similar spreadsheet thing during my search). YMMV I suppose - it could have been the markets I was looking in or the time when I was looking. "Crowd-sourcing" aside, it's true that OP isn't going to hurt anything by calling chambers if he finds a judge who's not on OSCAR that he's interested in. (And I agree that paper apps present a particularly good opportunity - if it takes more than a few clicks to apply to a position, lots of people won't bother.)

Return to “Legal Employment�