internal fed gov hiring Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

internal fed gov hiring

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:36 pm

I've seen a lot of people mention that once you have a Fed Gov job, it is easier to get other Fed Gov jobs because you'll have access to more job openings, and a lot hire internally.

How exactly does this work? Once you get hired, do you get a secret password to an internal job posting website or something?

zot1

Gold

Re: internal fed gov hiring

Post by zot1 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:39 pm

No. When agencies post jobs on USAjobs some are only available to internal candidates and others are open to anyone. You tend to see more internal candidacy openings, and if you apply and you're not already a government employee, your application gets discarded. In addition, it's easy to be biased (even if not on purpose) towards employees already in the federal government because they're already familiar with how the government works and whatnot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:45 pm

zot1 wrote:No. When agencies post jobs on USAjobs some are only available to internal candidates and others are open to anyone. You tend to see more internal candidacy openings, and if you apply and you're not already a government employee, your application gets discarded. In addition, it's easy to be biased (even if not on purpose) towards employees already in the federal government because they're already familiar with how the government works and whatnot.
what about transfers? when I interned at the DOJ they talked about how there's a system that lets people apply to transfer to different jobs and departments, but I don't know much more than that

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zot1 wrote:No. When agencies post jobs on USAjobs some are only available to internal candidates and others are open to anyone. You tend to see more internal candidacy openings, and if you apply and you're not already a government employee, your application gets discarded. In addition, it's easy to be biased (even if not on purpose) towards employees already in the federal government because they're already familiar with how the government works and whatnot.
what about transfers? when I interned at the DOJ they talked about how there's a system that lets people apply to transfer to different jobs and departments, but I don't know much more than that
I can't speak to what DOJ does specifically but my agency does engage in internal transfers between offices. That usually works by someone sending out an email saying X office is looking for an attorney at Y level. Candidates please apply to z email.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”