job offer, now what

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

job offer, now what

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:58 am

After graduating law school, I've been applying for a while and I finally got an offer as Attorney Adviser at the Dept of Veterans Affairs. This isn't my ideal job because I don't have an interest in doing Veterans law long term.

I have some time to decide if I want to accept.

Doubts:

1. It's something to have in the meantime while still looking for other places though, right? Also, most other jobs require 1-2 years experience so by getting experience it would open the door for those. Or would this experience be useless for those other jobs if it isn't relevant? Should I stay unemployed until I find a job that IS on my long term path?
2. I have a few other USA jobs postings that say "referred" but haven't been updated, should I call to see the status of those?
3. I applied for a fellowship at a public interest law firm that is supposed to start next September, I did the first stage interview but haven't heard back, should I call to tell them my situation to ask them to hurry with the decision basically? Or is that irrelevant since it starts next year anyway? Would it look bad, make me look like I'm not committed to them, and make them less likely to select me?

zot1

Gold

Re: job offer, now what

Postby zot1 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:01 pm

First of all, congrats on the offer. Many would kill to be in your shoes.

Second, do you know exactly what you'd be doing for the board? From what I gather from a friend, the experience doesn't seem great and honestly a bit boring. But you might be doing something different.

Third, however, you could use this position to transition to a better position later on, assuming you will gain the right set of skills. This includes other federal government jobs as its a lot easier to get into other fed jobs if they are already in the federal system.

Fourth, you could try to contact the other agencies, but honestly federal agencies usually don't give out info on when they'll make selections because usually they don't really know. But also, they have so many great candidates, they don't really care if you have another offer.

Fifth, I would call the fellowship place, inform them you have another offer, but that you're really interested in working for them instead so you'd like to know if they can give you a decision soon.

rwhyAn

Bronze

Postby rwhyAn » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:22 pm

1. It's something to have in the meantime while still looking for other places though, right? Also, most other jobs require 1-2 years experience so by getting experience it would open the door for those. Or would this experience be useless for those other jobs if it isn't relevant? Should I stay unemployed until I find a job that IS on my long term path?

I don't think staying unemployed is ever the right decision. If you have time to accept the offer, wait to see if anything else comes to fruition. If not, take the job.
2. I have a few other USA jobs postings that say "referred" but haven't been updated, should I call to see the status of those?

You could always take the offer in hand and leave if one of these jobs get offered.
3. I applied for a fellowship at a public interest law firm that is supposed to start next September, I did the first stage interview but haven't heard back, should I call to tell them my situation to ask them to hurry with the decision basically? Or is that irrelevant since it starts next year anyway? Would it look bad, make me look like I'm not committed to them, and make them less likely to select me?

I don't think waiting another year to gain employment is worth it. It's easier to get a job when you already have one. Also, even if the fellowship gets offered, it's still a year away. You never know what will happen over the next year. Maybe the fellowship gets cancelled and/or they rescind the offer. I think taking the job is the way to go. Get some experience and try to parlay that into a better job.

jchiles

Silver

Postby jchiles » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:56 pm

Take the job unless you are independently wealthy

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:37 pm

"referred" on USAJobs means nothing. Absolutely do not turn down this job on the basis of being "referred" for others.

Return to “Legal Employment�