list new firm on resume or delete it when applying? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

list new firm on resume or delete it when applying?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:35 am

My resume has 1 year of substantive work experience in a small firm followed by a 2 month work in a fairly large defense firm. Things not working out and need to reapply. In this situation, do I leave out the 2 month work and ask if my former boss of 1 year would let me list his firm as having worked there until now? Or do I apply with the 2 month job on the resume?

Thank you for the input.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: list new firm on resume or delete it when applying?

Post by rpupkin » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:My resume has 1 year of substantive work experience in a small firm followed by a 2 month work in a fairly large defense firm. Things not working out and need to reapply. In this situation, do I leave out the 2 month work and ask if my former boss of 1 year would let me list his firm as having worked there until now? Or do I apply with the 2 month job on the resume?
The bolded is nuts. If you want to lie on your resume (which you shouldn't in any case), don't bring others into it.

Also, at some point, you're going to have to disclose your work at the "fairly large defense firm" for conflicts purposes. You can't just pretend that it never happened.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:36 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My resume has 1 year of substantive work experience in a small firm followed by a 2 month work in a fairly large defense firm. Things not working out and need to reapply. In this situation, do I leave out the 2 month work and ask if my former boss of 1 year would let me list his firm as having worked there until now? Or do I apply with the 2 month job on the resume?
The bolded is nuts. If you want to lie on your resume (which you shouldn't in any case), don't bring others into it.

Also, at some point, you're going to have to disclose your work at the "fairly large defense firm" for conflicts purposes. You can't just pretend that it never happened.
I should have clarified that i wanted to ask my former boss for contract work for minimum wage or just work for free like an internship for the purpose of putting it down as having worked there recently.

Do I have to disclose my firm upfront right now on the resume? Or if I leave it on, is it a big red flag for applying with only 2 months at my current firm?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:44 pm

List the firm. If you're asked, tell them it wasn't the right fit for you. It's easier to explain you trying to leave a firm that isn't a good personality fit than you trying to concoct a lie to cover it up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:50 pm

Thank you for the tip. Is this a genuine yellow/red flag or am I being paranoid?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”