After 30min-1hr networking calls/lunches, how many followups before asking them to forward my application?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

After 30min-1hr networking calls/lunches, how many followups before asking them to forward my application?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:57 pm

I've been "networking" with my school's alumni. Most have been generous in taking half an hour or an hour out of their day to chat about something or another. In my initial reach-out and during the conversation, I don't hide that I'm looking for an entry-level position (i.e., not a SA). Most have simply suggested that I apply broadly.

I get all the adages about how "networking is not about getting a job; it's about gathering information" and how "it's not about stroking their ego for an hour; it's about cultivating a long-term relationship that may not pay off right away but which may come in handy down the road."

How exactly should I cultivate a "relationship" that didn't exist before the 30min phone chat? By showering their new publications with praise & update them on my progress throughout the academic year?

Do I just elegantly phrase "I've attached my resume...for no particular reason. Any thoughts on my choice of font?" and hope that they just forward it along to HR on their own initiative?

Or would I have to arrange to play golf/squash with them in-person before they'd put a good word in with HR?

jkpolk

Silver

Re: After 30min-1hr networking calls/lunches, how many followups before asking them to forward my application?

Postby jkpolk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've been "networking" with my school's alumni. Most have been generous in taking half an hour or an hour out of their day to chat about something or another. In my initial reach-out and during the conversation, I don't hide that I'm looking for an entry-level position (i.e., not a SA). Most have simply suggested that I apply broadly.

I get all the adages about how "networking is not about getting a job; it's about gathering information" and how "it's not about stroking their ego for an hour; it's about cultivating a long-term relationship that may not pay off right away but which may come in handy down the road."

How exactly should I cultivate a "relationship" that didn't exist before the 30min phone chat? By showering their new publications with praise & update them on my progress throughout the academic year?

Do I just elegantly phrase "I've attached my resume...for no particular reason. Any thoughts on my choice of font?" and hope that they just forward it along to HR on their own initiative?

Or would I have to arrange to play golf/squash with them in-person before they'd put a good word in with HR?

If the attorney you are talking to likes you (and has the contacts with recruiting) that attorney will volunteer. It's not about what you do, it's about impressions and whether the attorney would want to work with you (or hang out with you).

"How" you get people to like you is a tough question but I'd advise staying true to the things you you enjoy talking about, look up backgrounds and try to find areas where you both like similar things. Try to engage in a conversation about those things. Ask questions if you have questions but don't be forced or robotic (or ask a question just to ask one).

FWIW getting a resume passed on is worthless if the person doesn't like you/wont go to bat for you.
Last edited by jkpolk on Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Re: After 30min-1hr networking calls/lunches, how many followups before asking them to forward my application?

Postby zot1 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:14 pm

The common knowledge is that you let them suggest to forward your resume to someone. One thing you could do is ask if they wouldn't mind looking at your resume and providing you some feedback. Ideally, they would be so impressed by your resume that they would want to pass it along. But the whole point is not to be pushy. They know what you're looking for. No alumni meets with you thinking, "oh my god someone wants to talk to me and learn about who I am as a person."

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:24 pm

At least in my secondary market, I've had decent success in just emailing managing partners of offices. And by decent success I mean they have replied to my email and said we are looking for someone with more experience but please re-apply.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:11 pm

You cultivate a relationship the way you would with anyone you aren't trying to get a job from - stay in touch, update them on how you're doing periodically, if you see an article you think they'd find interesting send it to them, if you do see something they've published and you think it's interesting you could say that. But there isn't a formula whereby x amount of minutes of contact = y job outcome.

Like everyone has said, alumni know you're looking for a job. They have to be able to help you and want to help you, and that has to come from them. It's not that they're gatekeepers you're trying to get past to get access to a job - you want them to have you in mind if in future they see a job or need to hire someone. You're Johnny Appleseed, scattering seeds of knowledge about you and your job interests far and wide. Plenty may never sprout but you never know what will have grown up 6-12 months from now.

Return to “Legal Employment�