Bankruptcy career clerks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
psu2016

Bronze
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 pm

Bankruptcy career clerks

Postby psu2016 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:15 am

Are these a thing? I mean at least for the 14 years of an appointment?

Alternatively, does anyone have experience going from a bankruptcy associate in a top shop to a term clerkship in another part of lthe country and ultimately to work in that other part of the country? For example if I wanted to relocate As a mid level?

Anonymous User
Posts: 314071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bankruptcy career clerks

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:37 pm

I spent a summer as a law student at a bankruptcy court.

There were career clerks. Sweet gig if you have the right judge.

Midlevels definitely did term clerkships as a way to pivot (out of practice, new location, to take a breather from biglaw).

I was at SDNY, so it was competitive, but not sure what other courts are like.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bankruptcy career clerks

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:48 pm

psu2016 wrote:Are these a thing? I mean at least for the 14 years of an appointment?

Alternatively, does anyone have experience going from a bankruptcy associate in a top shop to a term clerkship in another part of lthe country and ultimately to work in that other part of the country? For example if I wanted to relocate As a mid level?


What about anybody having experience getting a dterm clerkship at district court after working at top bankruptcy practics

Anonymous User
Posts: 314071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bankruptcy career clerks

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
psu2016 wrote:Are these a thing? I mean at least for the 14 years of an appointment?

Alternatively, does anyone have experience going from a bankruptcy associate in a top shop to a term clerkship in another part of lthe country and ultimately to work in that other part of the country? For example if I wanted to relocate As a mid level?


What about anybody having experience getting a dterm clerkship at district court after working at top bankruptcy practics


Not really sure what the draw of a term clerkship is, but the type of work you'll be doing at a top BK shop is not the type of work you'll be doing at your average BK court.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bankruptcy career clerks

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
psu2016 wrote:Are these a thing? I mean at least for the 14 years of an appointment?

Alternatively, does anyone have experience going from a bankruptcy associate in a top shop to a term clerkship in another part of lthe country and ultimately to work in that other part of the country? For example if I wanted to relocate As a mid level?


What about anybody having experience getting a dterm clerkship at district court after working at top bankruptcy practics


Not really sure what the draw of a term clerkship is, but the type of work you'll be doing at a top BK shop is not the type of work you'll be doing at your average BK court.


More thinking if you want to switch to lit or something or move to a different part of the country after working in bankruptcy for a couple years.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bankruptcy career clerks

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
psu2016 wrote:Are these a thing? I mean at least for the 14 years of an appointment?

Alternatively, does anyone have experience going from a bankruptcy associate in a top shop to a term clerkship in another part of lthe country and ultimately to work in that other part of the country? For example if I wanted to relocate As a mid level?


What about anybody having experience getting a dterm clerkship at district court after working at top bankruptcy practics


Not really sure what the draw of a term clerkship is, but the type of work you'll be doing at a top BK shop is not the type of work you'll be doing at your average BK court.


More thinking if you want to switch to lit or something or move to a different part of the country after working in bankruptcy for a couple years.


Doing an extended stint as a bankruptcy clerk in your run of the mill bankruptcy court is not going to help you transition to litigation or even another bankruptcy group. I actually know a career clerk in a well known court (not SDNY/Delaware) who has been trying to get a firm job without success. The type of work you're doing at your average court has almost no overlap with biglaw bankruptcy work.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.