2L grades

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L grades

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:45 pm

If a firm's office is historically 100% offer and touts it highly, how fall would I need to drop to get no offered next summer? I feel like I took on way too much and it's overwhelming me this semester. Next semester my load is much lighter but I'm worried about grades in 3 doctrinals this semester. If I were to drop to median at a non-14, how bad would it be? Obviously that's 9 months away and 2 semesters of grades, but I'm not feeling strongly about this semester.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: 2L grades

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:07 pm

You'd have to pretty much fail, in most cases.

I have heard that some firms have strict GPA requirements beyond just consideration for a SA offer. Anecdotally, I've heard Latham has a strict GPA cutoff and if you dip below it will take an extra step (partner approval or vouching?) to get an offer. Not sure if this is true; I don't work at Latham.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:38 pm

Not OP. I am also curious as to this. I am at Berkeley (no letter grades, just HH, H, P).

After receiving an offer for 2L SA, would all Ps be OK? I assume that after you "prove yourself" with 1L grades and have accepted an offer at a firm for the summer, grades are not that important anymore since you have shown you have the ability. Is this correct? All Ps ok?

jingosaur

Gold

Postby jingosaur » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:52 pm

My firm didn't ask for my transcript after 2L. I'm starting to think I'll be the only person to ever see my 2L/3L grades.

Blackfish

New

Postby Blackfish » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:00 pm

Last edited by Blackfish on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:14 pm

Blackfish wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:You'd have to pretty much fail, in most cases.

I have heard that some firms have strict GPA requirements beyond just consideration for a SA offer. Anecdotally, I've heard Latham has a strict GPA cutoff and if you dip below it will take an extra step (partner approval or vouching?) to get an offer. Not sure if this is true; I don't work at Latham.

Isn't this Gibson?

The GDC thing is the dumbest meme on TLS. I have firsthand knowledge of this- if you're getting no-offered, it's not because of grades, but because of things that arise during the summer. This "GDC will no-offer you if your grades drop even a hair" line needs to die.

Blackfish

New

Postby Blackfish » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:18 pm

Last edited by Blackfish on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:13 pm

Can confirm Latham's strict GPA cut-off, however the cutoff is adjusted depending on your school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can confirm Latham's strict GPA cut-off, however the cutoff is adjusted depending on your school.

My GPA dipped below what I took to be Latham's cutoff... I was at it after 1L, and a little below after 2L. Nothing happened.

Of course, I could have been wrong in estimating the cutoff. More likely, they didn't care.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:51 pm

You worked hard to get your Biglaw job and it's only October. Step your game up and you won't have to worry about this problem.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can confirm Latham's strict GPA cut-off, however the cutoff is adjusted depending on your school.

My GPA dipped below what I took to be Latham's cutoff... I was at it after 1L, and a little below after 2L. Nothing happened.

Of course, I could have been wrong in estimating the cutoff. More likely, they didn't care.

You were wrong in estimating the cut-off.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:20 pm

Just don't completely fuck up your grades. If you do good work and are social this summer you will be fine.

Nylon

New

Postby Nylon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:27 pm

Used to do OCI for Latham (don't work there anymore) and can confirm strict cut-off only applies at interview stage. Once you're in as an SA decision is entirely on summer performance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:40 pm

There are basically no firms that care about your grades for the purposes of receiving an offer. My firm is very competitive at the OCI stage grade-wise, and I've seen a student who went from certainly top 10% of their class, maybe higher, to around median as a 2L, and the grade drop wasn't even brought up in the meeting where we decided on their offer after the summer. (And had someone brought it up, it wouldn't have had any impact).

Here's one thing I'll say as a practitioner that might differ from my advise as a fellow law student. Your grades won't matter for this purpose, but they might matter for other purposes. Large firm work is not for everyone--in fact, it's really for quite few people after about the third or fourth year. Having a strong academic background, of which grades are only one component but a not insignificant component, helps with expanding opportunities outside of the firm. The most obvious one is federal clerkships, but there are other ways in which not going full-blown 2LOL/3LOL can help keep your options open later. It sounds, though, like you are working too hard, rather than not hard enough--you took 3 doctrinal classes--so lack of initiative probably isn't your problem.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:11 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:You'd have to pretty much fail, in most cases.

Summered at Latham, I've never heard of this. The no offers I am aware of happened to people that were train wrecks during the summer (both socially and work related). I've never heard of someone being no-offered for cratering their grades. I imagine its possible, but I'm guessing you would have to fail or come close to it.

Strict GPA cutoffs do exist, but my understanding is that they are at the interview stage, not the SA stage. Maybe some offices do it differently, but this sounds like rumor mongering to me. Grain of salt: I only summered at Latham and received an offer. I do not work for Latham currently and have no inside knowledge of what goes in to the offer process other than what I heard around the office.

All this being said, keeping your grades up is a better life decision and will keep other doors open if (1) you get no offered or (2) you decide you don't want to work at your firm after the summer.

Return to “Legal Employment�