biglaw --> in house pay-cuts in light of recent biglaw raises?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

biglaw --> in house pay-cuts in light of recent biglaw raises?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:56 pm

I'm considering in-house opportunities in the major markets (hence anon) and wondering how my pay will drop from biglaw --> fortune 500 inhouse. A friend of mine transitioned JUST before and is getting $180k as a ~5th year. I'm thus hoping to get the same pay as a ~4th year, albeit at a different company.

Older threads (e.g., viewtopic.php?f=23&t=195869&start=25) talk about significantly lower pay, but those were pre-raises and a few years of strong growth back.

What do you guys think (or know) is market for in-house in NY / SF / LA / DC, for a mid-level?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: biglaw --> in house pay-cuts in light of recent biglaw raises?

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm considering in-house opportunities in the major markets (hence anon) and wondering how my pay will drop from biglaw --> fortune 500 inhouse. A friend of mine transitioned JUST before and is getting $180k as a ~5th year. I'm thus hoping to get the same pay as a ~4th year, albeit at a different company.

Older threads (e.g., viewtopic.php?f=23&t=195869&start=25) talk about significantly lower pay, but those were pre-raises and a few years of strong growth back.

What do you guys think (or know) is market for in-house in NY / SF / LA / DC, for a mid-level?

It totally depends on market and industry and company for that matter so hard to give a good answer. I have a friend who was a 7th year at a V20 and got a nice in-house gig this past year for $225k in NY, but before that he had been interviewing for places that were offering well under 180 in SF.

jarofsoup

Gold

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:18 am

Banks are usually pretty competitive. You have to also consider that your bonus and your benefits packages will be a lot better.

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm considering in-house opportunities in the major markets (hence anon) and wondering how my pay will drop from biglaw --> fortune 500 inhouse. A friend of mine transitioned JUST before and is getting $180k as a ~5th year. I'm thus hoping to get the same pay as a ~4th year, albeit at a different company.

Older threads (e.g., http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9&start=25) talk about significantly lower pay, but those were pre-raises and a few years of strong growth back.

In-house is very industry, company, and role specific.

I took a ~$50k cut in base pay when I went in-house as a 4th year (F500 oil and gas), but I actually made about the same all-in. Banks can pay more, something like retail likely less.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:24 pm

FWIW;

As a third year associate from a NLJ250 firm I was getting roughly 155-160k including bonus in a secondary city. I actually ended up getting a 20-25% pay increase coming from a non-major market nlj250 firm.

Return to “Legal Employment�