Taking a week off during SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 321666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Taking a week off during SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:38 pm

My sister is getting married July 9th, and I'll have to leave Wednesday (Working in NYC and have to fly to SF) to make it for the rehearsal dinner. I'm suspecting I'll have that Monday off because of July 4th. Think I'll have a problem just asking for the week off instead of just going to work on Tuesday and flying out the next morning?

When should I tell the firm, I haven't told the recruiter yet I'll need to leave for my sisters wedding.

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My sister is getting married July 9th, and I'll have to leave Wednesday (Working in NYC and have to fly to SF) to make it for the rehearsal dinner. I'm suspecting I'll have that Monday off because of July 4th. Think I'll have a problem just asking for the week off instead of just going to work on Tuesday and flying out the next morning?

When should I tell the firm, I haven't told the recruiter yet I'll need to leave for my sisters wedding.


if it is a 100% offer firm with a large SA class, it is probably fine because no one will notice. Just ask your HR contact about it and get their thoughts.

I'd be less inclined if it is a small summer class and/or not 100% offer firm

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7651
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby lavarman84 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:46 pm

You'll be fine. Just let the people who need to know ahead of time. Let the person in charge of the summer program know before you start. It's not a big deal.

Anonymous User
Posts: 321666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:47 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My sister is getting married July 9th, and I'll have to leave Wednesday (Working in NYC and have to fly to SF) to make it for the rehearsal dinner. I'm suspecting I'll have that Monday off because of July 4th. Think I'll have a problem just asking for the week off instead of just going to work on Tuesday and flying out the next morning?

When should I tell the firm, I haven't told the recruiter yet I'll need to leave for my sisters wedding.


if it is a 100% offer firm with a large SA class, it is probably fine because no one will notice. Just ask your HR contact about it and get their thoughts.

I'd be less inclined if it is a small summer class and/or not 100% offer firm


Last summer was 7/7 in NYC (Not 100% firm wide). Assuming I don't ask for the full week I can' miss my sisters wedding, will 3 days off be a problem?

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My sister is getting married July 9th, and I'll have to leave Wednesday (Working in NYC and have to fly to SF) to make it for the rehearsal dinner. I'm suspecting I'll have that Monday off because of July 4th. Think I'll have a problem just asking for the week off instead of just going to work on Tuesday and flying out the next morning?

When should I tell the firm, I haven't told the recruiter yet I'll need to leave for my sisters wedding.


if it is a 100% offer firm with a large SA class, it is probably fine because no one will notice. Just ask your HR contact about it and get their thoughts.

I'd be less inclined if it is a small summer class and/or not 100% offer firm


Last summer was 7/7 in NYC (Not 100% firm wide). Assuming I don't ask for the full week I can' miss my sisters wedding, will 3 days off be a problem?


No. just tell them early and explain the situation. It will not be an issue whatsoever. And if it is, you probably don't want to work there.

I took off 2 days off for a wedding (best man - so not even family), and it was completely fine. In fact, not sure anyone knew I was gone - particularly during the summer when most folks are out of the office regardless.

ETA: Trebekismyhero - get your priorities straight. Asking for a few days off for your sister's wedding versus doing meaningless busy work to stay in the firm's good graces is a no brainer.
Last edited by RaceJudicata on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pneumonia

Gold
Posts: 1872
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby Pneumonia » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:52 pm

I didn't summer in NYC so I'll defer. But are y'all really saying that asking for four days off for a wedding isn't going to raise eyebrows? Because that's not the advice I would have given for Texas (which, on the whole, is usually more chill).

Anonymous User
Posts: 321666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:57 pm

I understand no one will probably care too much, but at the same time, this is the summer where you lock up a full time offer... I wouldn't chance it if possible.

Can you just skip the rehearsal dinner? fly out wednesday night so that you only miss thurs and friday?

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:05 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My sister is getting married July 9th, and I'll have to leave Wednesday (Working in NYC and have to fly to SF) to make it for the rehearsal dinner. I'm suspecting I'll have that Monday off because of July 4th. Think I'll have a problem just asking for the week off instead of just going to work on Tuesday and flying out the next morning?

When should I tell the firm, I haven't told the recruiter yet I'll need to leave for my sisters wedding.


if it is a 100% offer firm with a large SA class, it is probably fine because no one will notice. Just ask your HR contact about it and get their thoughts.

I'd be less inclined if it is a small summer class and/or not 100% offer firm


Last summer was 7/7 in NYC (Not 100% firm wide). Assuming I don't ask for the full week I can' miss my sisters wedding, will 3 days off be a problem?


No. just tell them early and explain the situation. It will not be an issue whatsoever. And if it is, you probably don't want to work there.

I took off 2 days off for a wedding (best man - so not even family), and it was completely fine. In fact, not sure anyone knew I was gone - particularly during the summer when most folks are out of the office regardless.

ETA: Trebekismyhero - get your priorities straight. Asking for a few days off for your sister's wedding versus doing meaningless busy work to stay in the firm's good graces is a no brainer.


I said it was probably fine. I didn't say he should risk skipping the rehearsal dinner. Just that if it is not a 100% offer firm I would be a little more concerned to take the whole week off. I get that if it is an issue, that is not a place you want to be, but always better to have the offer in hand
Last edited by trebekismyhero on Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gingerbread

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby gingerbread » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:07 pm

A couple of people in my summer class took a few days off for weddings, but I can't think of anyone who asked for more than one or two. I don't think this would be a huge problem if your firm has a standard 10-week program, but I would feel uncomfortable taking more than 2 days, especially if it's a shorter program.

Anonymous User
Posts: 321666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I understand no one will probably care too much, but at the same time, this is the summer where you lock up a full time offer... I wouldn't chance it if possible.

Can you just skip the rehearsal dinner? fly out wednesday night so that you only miss thurs and friday?


Rehearsal dinner is on thursday so I could fly out wednesday night (I can't fly out thursday because of the drive I'll have to take after landing).

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 799
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:12 pm

Don't skip the rehearsal dinner. It is your sister's wedding, the firm will definitely understand that.

But I disagree with racejudicata about it being a no-brainer to take off the whole week. If you know ppl that summered there before I would ask them. Then just ask recruitment whether it would be an issue. They will give you a reliable answer. And they won't be mad about you asking.

Anonymous User
Posts: 321666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:13 pm

I would not do this. This is overly risky for my liking even if it likely won't matter. I'd ask for Thursday and Friday off and call it a day. Your best way to ensure an offer is to treat this like a 10 week job interview. 7/7 in the office is not reliable enough, especially if no offers were made in other offices. If it were 90/90 that's a different story. I don't see why you need to take any more days off than Thursday and Friday. If you have to leave at 5 or even a little earlier than that on Wednesday, that's fine, even if you're missing some happy hour. Taking the whole week off though... that's just like... why?

Anonymous User
Posts: 321666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would not do this. This is overly risky for my liking even if it likely won't matter. I'd ask for Thursday and Friday off and call it a day. Your best way to ensure an offer is to treat this like a 10 week job interview. 7/7 in the office is not reliable enough, especially if no offers were made in other offices. If it were 90/90 that's a different story. I don't see why you need to take any more days off than Thursday and Friday. If you have to leave at 5 or even a little earlier than that on Wednesday, that's fine, even if you're missing some happy hour. Taking the whole week off though... that's just like... why?


I'm probably going to go with this, I was just asking because I'd have Monday off anyways because of July 4th.

User avatar
sublime

Diamond
Posts: 17386
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby sublime » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:20 pm

My firm gives summers vacation days. I don't recall how many, but I think it was 4ish. See if yours does as well. It may not be an issue and certainly wouldn't be where I summered.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold
Posts: 3440
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:33 pm

Family wedding should be a good enough reason but I wouldn't ask for the whole week. First of all, the 4th is on a Tuesday so I doubt you will get Monday off. If you leave Wednesday night you will only need to take two days off and that's what I would do.

Separately, who has their rehearsal dinner three days before the wedding, on a weekday no less? Is this a thing?

clshopeful

Bronze
Posts: 370
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:15 pm

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby clshopeful » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:50 pm

So, wait... Rehearsal dinner is Thursday, but you wanted Tuesday and Wednesday off? In your situtation, you only need thurs/fri off. Just because you have monday off for holiday doesn't mean the entire week is scrapped. There is still two work days where you can easily go in...

Anonymous User
Posts: 321666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, wait... Rehearsal dinner is Thursday, but you wanted Tuesday and Wednesday off? In your situtation, you only need thurs/fri off. Just because you have monday off for holiday doesn't mean the entire week is scrapped. There is still two work days where you can easily go in...


You're right just thought maybe I'd have time to help my parents before they have to host 250 people.

User avatar
ArtistOfManliness

Silver
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, wait... Rehearsal dinner is Thursday, but you wanted Tuesday and Wednesday off? In your situtation, you only need thurs/fri off. Just because you have monday off for holiday doesn't mean the entire week is scrapped. There is still two work days where you can easily go in...


You're right just thought maybe I'd have time to help my parents before they have to host 250 people.


Seems a little excessive...

Anonymous User
Posts: 321666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:14 pm

Big family

dixiecupdrinking

Gold
Posts: 3440
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:47 pm

I mean, risk it if you want. Chances are there won't be any consequences. But I'm on the relaxed end of the spectrum as far as expectations of summer associates go, and I would find it questionable to take a whole week for a wedding, even a family wedding. Honestly all you need to do as a SA is seem enthusiastic about being there and demonstrate good judgment, and this risks conveying the opposite on both counts.

User avatar
axel.foley

Bronze
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:44 pm

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby axel.foley » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would not do this. This is overly risky for my liking even if it likely won't matter. I'd ask for Thursday and Friday off and call it a day. Your best way to ensure an offer is to treat this like a 10 week job interview. 7/7 in the office is not reliable enough, especially if no offers were made in other offices. If it were 90/90 that's a different story. I don't see why you need to take any more days off than Thursday and Friday. If you have to leave at 5 or even a little earlier than that on Wednesday, that's fine, even if you're missing some happy hour. Taking the whole week off though... that's just like... why?


I'm probably going to go with this, I was just asking because I'd have Monday off anyways because of July 4th.


July 4th, 2017 is a Tuesday. How do you know you'll have the Monday off?

edit: whoops didn't see dixiecupdrinking's post above already pointing this out

Anonymous User
Posts: 321666
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:22 pm

Another summer at my firm cut off the last two weeks, one week to start an externship, and one week explicitly to go home for a vacation with family before the externship started. Seemed like it wasn't a problem, and they got an offer.

But regardless, this is definitely a 'talk to recruiting' situation. They will let you know what is acceptable.

User avatar
Actus Reus

Bronze
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby Actus Reus » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Take the week off. It's your sisters wedding across the country. Tell the firm you'll be available by phone and email on Tuesday/Wednesday. Problem solved.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold
Posts: 2020
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:41 pm

Wait, the rehearsal dinner is three days before the wedding? Why exactly does OP need more than two days off?

User avatar
Pneumonia

Gold
Posts: 1872
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Taking a week off during SA?

Postby Pneumonia » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:26 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Wait, the rehearsal dinner is three days before the wedding? Why exactly does OP need more than two days off?

He doesn't, he said he could make two days work. Just wants the whole week.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.