PLEASE HELP - How to resign? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

PLEASE HELP - How to resign?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi. I got a new offer and am hoping to tender my resignation tomorrow. I am in a foreign satellite office of a large law firm and my group's chair/head is HQ in USA. Who do I tender my resignation to? Would that be the group chair in the USA or the managing partner of this specific office (who is in different practice group)? Bearing in mind I need to negotiate my notice period too if that changes your response.
Any tips/advice would be much appreciated!!!

acr

Silver

Re: PLEASE HELP - How to resign?

Post by acr » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:14 pm

I would direct this inquiry toward HR instead of an Internet forum devoid of any knowledge of the internal operations of your firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:17 pm

acr wrote:I would direct this inquiry toward HR instead of an Internet forum devoid of any knowledge of the internal operations of your firm.
Well I am resorting to an online forum for a reason: anonymity. Once I ask HR, everyone at the office would know quickly..

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
acr wrote:I would direct this inquiry toward HR instead of an Internet forum devoid of any knowledge of the internal operations of your firm.
Well I am resorting to an online forum for a reason: anonymity. Once I ask HR, everyone at the office would know quickly..
Isn't everyone going to know when you...you know...quit?

If you are quitting, who the hell cares who knows.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:30 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes but certain people need to know first and I am trying to figure out who the very first person needs to be before word travels.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes but certain people need to know first and I am trying to figure out who the very first person needs to be before word travels.
Send it to your practice group chair and managing partner of the office at the same time. Problem solved.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:03 pm

You cleared conflicts at the new firm right (assuming new gig is a firm)? Don't give notice unless you have.

New

Post by Offline » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:22 pm

Out of respect, tell your seniors and partners who you work for first. Let them know your intention and give them a heads up that you will submit your resignation to the HR. Then submit it to the HR.

I've been told to do it this way and have never burned bridges.

fxb3

New

Post by fxb3 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:12 pm

Offline wrote:Out of respect, tell your seniors and partners who you work for first. Let them know your intention and give them a heads up that you will submit your resignation to the HR. Then submit it to the HR.

I've been told to do it this way and have never burned bridges.
TITCR. It would be sort of weird to submit a "letter of resignation" to the partners you work for. Go and tell them in person or on the phone, "Hey Dave, you know that I've really liked working here and have really appreciated all of your advice over the years. I'm not sure if you were aware that I had been looking to make a change, but I've accepted an offer at another firm and I wanted to give you a heads-up before I make it official with HR. When you have a chance, I'd like to talk about how to best transition my matters and what the transition period will look like."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Magic Hat

Bronze

Post by Magic Hat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:29 am

TO: PRACTICE GROUP HEAD; SUPERVISING PARTNER

CC: JUNIOR PARTNERS YOU WORK WITH; SENIOR ASSOCIATES; HR

SUBJECT: resignation

[practice group head]:

Please accept this as notice of my resignation effective [last day]. I have accepted an associate position at Dewey Cheatem & Howe, LLP. I have enjoyed my time here and will forever look fondly on our time together.

[associate]

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:20 pm

Magic Hat wrote:TO: PRACTICE GROUP HEAD; SUPERVISING PARTNER

CC: JUNIOR PARTNERS YOU WORK WITH; SENIOR ASSOCIATES; HR

SUBJECT: resignation

[practice group head]:

Please accept this as notice of my resignation effective [last day]. I have accepted an associate position at Dewey Cheatem & Howe, LLP. I have enjoyed my time here and will forever look fondly on our time together.

[associate]
If you wanted to offer more terrible advice you should have said to send this email at 6:00PM on a Friday.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:17 pm

How is this even a thing? Go see your supervising partner and tell him or her first, and see how he or she would like you to notify everyone else, and what formal procedures you need to follow.

Don't email, don't call, just go have a 5 minute face-to-face conversation like a grown-up. The partner has almost certainly encountered this before, many times.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:22 pm

kalvano wrote:How is this even a thing? Go see your supervising partner and tell him or her first, and see how he or she would like you to notify everyone else, and what formal procedures you need to follow.

Don't email, don't call, just go have a 5 minute face-to-face conversation like a grown-up. The partner has almost certainly encountered this before, many times.
I don't know...that seems awfully straight forward. I think OP should put up a poll.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”