Did you see the no offer coming?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ookoshi

Bronze

Re: Did you see the no offer coming?

Postby ookoshi » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:47 pm

andythefir wrote:
ookoshi wrote:
Prana-9 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Just be a decent human being and you'll be fine at most firms.

This is not true post-2009ish

With the OP qualifying it with "most," I think this is becoming more true in the past couple of years since the economy has stabilized and firms are better able to forecast their financial outlook again. From what I've heard from my classmates at other firms, "most" V100 firms are attempting to limit their SA offers to the number of associate positions they expect to need to fill, and was told that a full-time offer was "theirs to lose."

This isn't to say that if we have another recession firms won't do what they did in in 2009-10 in aggressively defer/revoke/no-offer of course. Any advice on stuff like this has a pretty short shelf life.

While this may be true for top firms, lots and lots and lots of folks will work for firms that have different practices. Firms in Texas and the south split summers, which necessarily has a completely different dynamic. I interviewed with a firm in Texas that anticipated having 10 summers and keeping 1-2. The firm where I was a summer took 3 summers every year and didn't extend an offer to any of them for a 5 year span.

I can't speak for Texas, but this is not true in Atlanta, so I would disagree with your inclusion of the "south." And whether or not Texas has wacky offer rates, the advice is still correct for the rest of the country, particularly since the first post in this thread was asking about firms with traditionally close to 100% offer rates.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:59 pm

andythefir wrote:
ookoshi wrote:
Prana-9 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Just be a decent human being and you'll be fine at most firms.

This is not true post-2009ish

With the OP qualifying it with "most," I think this is becoming more true in the past couple of years since the economy has stabilized and firms are better able to forecast their financial outlook again. From what I've heard from my classmates at other firms, "most" V100 firms are attempting to limit their SA offers to the number of associate positions they expect to need to fill, and was told that a full-time offer was "theirs to lose."

This isn't to say that if we have another recession firms won't do what they did in in 2009-10 in aggressively defer/revoke/no-offer of course. Any advice on stuff like this has a pretty short shelf life.

While this may be true for top firms, lots and lots and lots of folks will work for firms that have different practices. Firms in Texas and the south split summers, which necessarily has a completely different dynamic. I interviewed with a firm in Texas that anticipated having 10 summers and keeping 1-2. The firm where I was a summer took 3 summers every year and didn't extend an offer to any of them for a 5 year span.

What large firm has a 20% offer rate in texas? Sorry, but not buying that, particularly if its a NALP firm.

andythefir

Silver

Postby andythefir » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:20 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:

What large firm has a 20% offer rate in texas? Sorry, but not buying that, particularly if its a NALP firm.

Upon re-reading the OP, I see that they were referencing NALP 100% offer firms, so my comments are not topical. The Texas firm that anticipated the gaggle of non-crucial summers was a 30ish person firm, so certainly not NALP. This was also several years ago, so hopefully hiring practices have changed across firms of all sizes.

Return to “Legal Employment�