Too Soon to Move on From Biglaw Job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nynaeve

New

Too Soon to Move on From Biglaw Job?

Postby Nynaeve » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi all,

Biglaw has left me particularly miserable. It's actually affected my mental health in a rough way that's led me to seek professional help (think serious depression & anxiety). My mental health and daily life are becoming a struggle and things seem to only be getting worse. My question is if it's too soon for me to start applying to govt jobs and GTFO in light of my being at this firm for only 6 & a half months.

I would definitely only be applying to public sector jobs, as my issue is with biglaw generally and not this firm in particular. I'm just not sure if leaving a firm at 8/9/10 months is some kind of a red flag going forward. I'm not too picky with gov't jobs, and I think I am well-positioned (have several gov't internships, graduated from T10 in 2013, spent a year and a half at a v50 doing lit, then clerked for a D. Ct. judge in a competitive district for a little more than a year, and have been doing lit at a v5 for 6 months and change).

thnx for any thoughts or advice. anyone been in a similar sitch?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Too Soon to Move on From Biglaw Job?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:50 pm

I don't think leaving early would be a red flag, unless you keep doing so and can't come up with good reasons for it. The bigger issue will be finding something, but if you do, go for it.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:58 pm

Your health, mental and otherwise, comes first. Do what you gotta do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:11 pm

As someone that has left 3 jobs since graduating law school in 2012, I think you'll be ok.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Postby Lacepiece23 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:19 pm

It's never too soon.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:53 pm

Won't be an issue. More to the point, it could take you a year to find something you like, so don't wait to start applying.

Return to “Legal Employment�