Should I join a journal my 3L year. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Should I join a journal my 3L year.

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:32 pm

Lettow wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:Not trying to derail the OP, but I've never heard of this, especially at any of the T100 schools. Being a managing editor on my school's law review myself, I don't see the benefit of having a 3L onto the journal so late; 1) there's not a lot of time to write an article (which is a requirement at any flagship journal I've interacted with), and 2) there's not enough time to learn the editorial process in order to be effective in publishing the (at least 2) issues each year (some schools have as many as 2 per semester). Maybe at Barry or Arizona Summit they let you "write on" after your second year but if that's the case I don't think a journal is going to help you much anyway.
I'm getting the impression from your two posts that you seem to think law reviews are all (nearly) the same. They can operate very differently. For example, under the way my law review operated, your two points against having 3L junior members don't make any sense.
This is my point also...although I chose the snarky route...

On my journal, your article is written in Fall semester (zero work required in Spring, unless you get published), and the typical journal member has absolutely nothing to do with publication except for cite checking (which is done throughout the year, issue by issue).

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:51 pm

Lettow wrote:For example, under the way my law review operated, your two points against having 3L junior members don't make any sense.
Can you give an example, if only so that I am aware of how it would work. I just don't see it.

Lettow

New

Post by Lettow » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:24 am

1styearlateral wrote:Can you give an example, if only so that I am aware of how it would work. I just don't see it.
See RaceJudicata's post. My law review operated very similarly. It doesn't take two years to work on and submit a half-assed student article. For your second point, 3L members aren't part of the editorial process, except checking citations.

For a member, no task in law review requires an entire additional year of experience. It's all pretty easy stuff.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:55 am

This thread is just one example of just one of the reasons that picking up a journal during 3L is a horrible idea

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”