On Vacations

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: On Vacations

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Depends what day of the week these days fall on. I book for 24th or christmas day. People work up to 23rd if its a weekday. (Also, people definitely work between christmas and new years, they just aren't in the office).

Different anon - I recently heard first years talking about vacations who were saying it looked really bad to "bail on the team" if you just took a vacation at the end of the year when you had met billables already.

My thought was: I was in the office between all of Christmas and New Year's last year. There wasn't anybody there. Yes, you still have to do your work but no one's going to care if you're on "vacation."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:26 pm

I mean, even if you are somewhat bailing on your team, isn't it, at the end of the day, your life? Yeah you might offend some co-workers, but you shouldn't live your life worried about if others will be under a bit more pressure from your taking of a vacation.

They're co-workers, not your mom and dad. Vacations are allowed. It is inevitable that when one takes a vacation, others have to pick up slack. That's just how it works.

lawgirl111

New

Postby lawgirl111 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:27 am

How long should you wait to take a long weekend as a First Year/do First Years actually take week long vacations?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:53 am

lawgirl111 wrote:How long should you wait to take a long weekend as a First Year/do First Years actually take week long vacations?

A first-year in my class took a long weekend four weeks after starting, Thursday through Monday, though he was available and working remotely.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:43 pm

So all you tell is your group/parnters in that group? Don't need to tell HR?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:12 pm

I'm a new first year and planning a short vacation for 2 weeks from now. I started in early Sept. Maybe 4-5 days including the weekend. I little anxious about telling my supervisors but even though I know it'll be chill

Lacepiece23

Silver

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a new first year and planning a short vacation for 2 weeks from now. I started in early Sept. Maybe 4-5 days including the weekend. I little anxious about telling my supervisors but even though I know it'll be chill

Yeah your supervisor won't care. And if you're not free market it's most likely fine. I'd just say that this wouldn't really fly at my firm, which is free market and I'm heavily dependent on senior associates for work. People do get upset when they see a first year who just started taking a vacation that quickly. Just honest advice. I know first years who did not take a day off their whole first year. I might be at more of a sweatshop firm though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:35 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a new first year and planning a short vacation for 2 weeks from now. I started in early Sept. Maybe 4-5 days including the weekend. I little anxious about telling my supervisors but even though I know it'll be chill

Yeah your supervisor won't care. And if you're not free market it's most likely fine. I'd just say that this wouldn't really fly at my firm, which is free market and I'm heavily dependent on senior associates for work. People do get upset when they see a first year who just started taking a vacation that quickly. Just honest advice. I know first years who did not take a day off their whole first year. I might be at more of a sweatshop firm though.

Yeah I started October 2015 and haven't taken a vacation day yet. That's more just my personality than anything the firm requires though.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Postby Lacepiece23 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

Yeah I started October 2015 and haven't taken a vacation day yet. That's more just my personality than anything the firm requires though.

Yeah, I'm not telling the poster not to do this, but if I'm a midlevel/senior that is supposed to be working with a new junior I'd be like wtf you're taking a vacation already? And I can see some people like us who didn't take vacations being a little upset that a junior was taking time during the stub year. But if there is no work to be done, then no one will care.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:07 pm

Honestly, I think people will get over it, unless you are just a bad junior. I had a weekend trip planned that I rescheduled 3 different times because of a closing and the closing got pushed a 4th time to the Monday after the trip was supposed to be. Decided to just go on my trip and let the other junior deal with closing. Granted, they weren't too happy with me, but we ended up becoming friends and they always knew I had their back if something like that happened with them. To me, its just unreasonable to put your entire life on hold (and the people around you) for a job (especially when you've tried to be more than flexible in planning).

At the end of the day, its about having each other's backs. Try to help people that are going on vacation and they will help you, that way life is better for everyone. Not going on vacation because you don't want piss people off will just lead to you being a miserable person and continuing the cycle of crazy assholes that get mad at this sort of thing. Try to step up for others when they get off and they should do the same for you.

Nylon

New

Postby Nylon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:56 pm

One of the best things you can do as a junior is find two or three others in your practice area and agree to cover each other's vacation. It might mean a very rough week here or there with your workload and someone else's and the vacationing person may still have to weigh in with the odd email because you lack prior deal knowledge, but it is the best thing I ever did. Make sure of course that the other associates are good at their job and that they won't screw you over and not reciprocate.

But all things being equal, partners don't care about this - in fact I found they were generally pretty pleased with me for having figured out my own cover and spending time before I went to get the replacement up to speed. I actively encourage juniors working for me to do this now. Otherwise this endless spiral to the bottom/burnout is even more depressing than is already inevitable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:48 am

I am also planning to take a couple of days in a couple of weeks as a stub-year. There's additional circumstances/dynamics that would out me/my firm, but I really feel like it should be NBD. I'm in a secondary market ant people work from home allllllllllll the time. Still, really anxious nonetheless to tell people I'm taking a day already and so I've been putting off telling them a little bit.. I'll have been at the job for just about 2 months.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:58 pm

Take vacation. Be proactive. Tell people you plan to take days off. Ask them if they have an issue with it and offer to be available or find coverage. If they say no it's fine (which they will) then take them at their word and put it out of your mind. Some people will swear they have no problem with it but later passive aggressively seem to hold it against you. These people will make biglaw unbearable if you let them. The only solution is to ignore them and let them silently stew in their own toxic judgment. The job is hard enough without ruining what personal time you get by worrying whether people are holding it against you.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Postby smallfirmassociate » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:12 pm

This really depends on the office. I work for a no-vacation policy type of firm. A lot of the other attorneys do take extended vacations. For me, I'm not really organized enough. It's more trouble for me to clear my desk and get everything covered than it's worth. I prefer to just cut out for half-days, take a random day off in the middle of the week when the weather is nice and I want to do yardwork, stuff like that. Sometimes I'll take a couple of consecutive days off / do a long weekend with a short getaway, but it's rare. Don't think I've taken more than 3 business days off in a row in the past 3-4 years.

That works in the rhythm of my practice. It's more of a feel thing (and personality thing) than a rules thing, so it's hard to say what is acceptable in your firm without being there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:41 pm

is it considered vacation to take like a friday off? or to work from out of state friday if you have to go home for a family wedding or some other family event?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is it considered vacation to take like a friday off? or to work from out of state friday if you have to go home for a family wedding or some other family event?

Meaning does it count as a "vacation day" toward the yearly allotment? Good question, can someone weigh in? also curious

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:28 pm

talk to people in your group. its all group dependent. after i took a vacation, a partner i did not work with much told me multiple times when i saw him (and usually right off the bat even if unrelated) that he didnt take any vaacation in his first year. didnt matter because i cleared it with the people i primarily worked for, but yeah probably best to avoid situations like that that could pop up.

but partners/senior associates do hold grudges (see lacepiece above). i have never done any work for that partner since.

umichman

Bronze

Postby umichman » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:49 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:talk to people in your group. its all group dependent. after i took a vacation, a partner i did not work with much told me multiple times when i saw him (and usually right off the bat even if unrelated) that he didnt take any vaacation in his first year. didnt matter because i cleared it with the people i primarily worked for, but yeah probably best to avoid situations like that that could pop up.

but partners/senior associates do hold grudges (see lacepiece above). i have never done any work for that partner since.

Was this a one day vacation liek the post just before this one or a true vacation?

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:53 pm

umichman wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:talk to people in your group. its all group dependent. after i took a vacation, a partner i did not work with much told me multiple times when i saw him (and usually right off the bat even if unrelated) that he didnt take any vaacation in his first year. didnt matter because i cleared it with the people i primarily worked for, but yeah probably best to avoid situations like that that could pop up.

Was this a one day vacation liek the post just before this one or a true vacation?

oh it was a 2 weekend and maybe 8 business day vaacation.

Return to “Legal Employment�