Bit unorthodox question...would long hair for males be frowned upon in big law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
uscbound

New

Bit unorthodox question...would long hair for males be frowned upon in big law?

Postby uscbound » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:33 am

Thought I would preface and say that I'm a 1L.

I'm a bit curious, would long hair on a male still be a minus at OCI even if it was well groomed (something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_DVPQmQNb8 )

No beard or anything as well, just long hair.

Thanks everyone.

Anonymous User

Re: Bit unorthodox question...would long hair for males be frowned upon in big law?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:33 am

Let me put it this way. It, in no way, will ever help a man land an entry level law job by having long hair and a pony tail. legal profession is very traditional and I'd recommend not trying to test the waters. #1 objective at OCI is to land a job. Don't do anything that will lower your chances in the slightest.

sublime

Diamond

Re: Bit unorthodox question...would long hair for males be frowned upon in big law?

Postby sublime » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:40 am

That would be fine generally at my big law firm. I'm not sure how it would play out at oci though. Fwiw I had pretty long hair and cut it for oci, my SA, and starting work.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:31 am

Even assuming that most people don't care, you run the risk that one of your interviewers is in the minority that does.

notgreat

Silver

Postby notgreat » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:50 am

I am guessing people will hate me for saying this, but I would definitely frown upon a guy long hair. I imagine there a lot of people that are cool with it (probably the vast majority) but there will be people that think it isn't appropriate. And by no means am I the guy that thinks we should be wearing suit and tie and black shoes to work. Just think its out of place if you are serving corporate clients where no one at the client and no one else at the firm has long hair like that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:26 am

As someone with full sleeves working in big law who has to wear one long sleeve shirt to the office in the summer and then change into another one because I'm drenched in sweat in the summer...I can tell you that long hair (like my beautiful ink) is not looked favorably upon by others there.

Cut it for your interview and while you're there look around. Do you see other people with long hair? I was hoping I'd see some tattoos poking out but no...so I play the game and keep them covered. I like my job and this is not a battle worth fighting or calling attention to myself over.

Fwiw, your problem is way easier to solve than mine :)

Jchance

Silver

Postby Jchance » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:59 am

I follow this motto: when in doubt, don't do it.

Some will judge you, some will understand. It's just not worth it (unless it's based on your religion).

run26.2

Silver

Postby run26.2 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:16 am

It will be a liability. Conformance is important in biglaw. Use your judgment as a guide to reign in what you would otherwise desire to do. For instance, at an avowedly biz cas firm at which I worked, a partner who always wore a tie once grumbled about people wearing jeans on Friday.

If you make partner, do whatever you want. As an associate, it is best to be clean cut.

uscbound

New

Postby uscbound » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:25 pm

Thank you for the input everyone!

I was thinking along the same lines...especially because biglaw seems the more conservative type.

I wonder if it would be possible to grow it out AFTER OCI and cut it AFTER the bar, but before starting at a big law firm if I get lucky, that's still a solid 2-2.5 years.

heythatslife

Silver

Postby heythatslife » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:31 pm

uscbound wrote:Thank you for the input everyone!

I was thinking along the same lines...especially because biglaw seems the more conservative type.

I wonder if it would be possible to grow it out AFTER OCI and cut it AFTER the bar, but before starting at a big law firm if I get lucky, that's still a solid 2-2.5 years.

Once you know which firm you're going to and you've been there for 2L summer to get a feel for the culture, you'll have a better sense of what will work and what won't. If you don't see a single dude with long hair during your summer, then it's most likely a no-go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:12 pm

Whats the fascination with the extremely long hair? I think most people will say cut it, just because no one really cares too much about hair so if it could negatively impact our job prospects, we will cut

run26.2

Silver

Postby run26.2 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:13 pm

I would say keep it on the long side of normal and keep it neat throughout the summer. After the summer, let it grow.

The problem is that, rightly or wrongly, people form snap judgments about you. On the off chance that a partner is turned off by it and remembers it, it can have consequences. You start developing a reputation during the summer at a lot of firms. It is always in your interest to have that reputation be as good as possible.
Last edited by run26.2 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:20 pm

I had long hair and worked at a pretty chill DC biglaw office (dress-code wise). I cut it after people (partners included) kept talking shit about it to my face. I assume many others thought similarly but never said anything to me about it. I probably could have kept it, but I cut it because I suspected that partners were less likely to give me court-facing and client-facing opportunities because they didn't like how I looked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:05 am

I guess it's like beating a dead horse at this point, but...

cut it. you can re-grow it if it's a big deal to you. the best suggestions here, as other people have said, is assume that your interviewers are ultra-conservative. there is no haircut that is too conservative - there are certainly hair cuts that are too liberal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:33 pm

I have a biglaw position here in CO. Despite the liberal leanings of most everyone here, I was recently reminded that I needed to cut my hair if I'm to meet with clients or go to court.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:33 pm

Suuuuuunshine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a biglaw position here in CO. Despite the liberal leanings of most everyone here, I was recently reminded that I needed to cut my hair if I'm to meet with clients or go to court.

Also in CO biglaw and long hair would be totally fine in my office. It's definitely not NY lol

uscbound

New

Postby uscbound » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:32 am

Would something like this be too long?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxai-zaFBys

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:36 am

Probably one of the best ways to answer this is to look at the websites for biglaw firms in your chosen market(s). Lawyers all have head shots - you can see how the young male associates wear their hair.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Postby foregetaboutdre » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:10 am

uscbound wrote:Would something like this be too long?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxai-zaFBys

If you slick it back/hairspray it like that guy IMO, no. Looks like a traditional hair style, however I'd say it'd be a pain in the ass to do every morning/after working long hours etc...

From a secondary midwestern market (that I'd say is pretty conservative) - anything that goes below basically the middle of your ear will be viewed as too long. Especially if your hair isn't curly (for a male)

Return to “Legal Employment�