Do I Accept Defeat, if not where do i look?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do I Accept Defeat, if not where do i look?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:08 pm

So I really tried. Im a 2L. My school's OCI is non-existent and did not include any opportunities in big law obviously. (T4) I mass-mailed my butt off. I ended up going on maybe 6 screeners and 2 full interviews. I just found out my final ding came in (which didn't even include my name btw). I feel like I've killed myself to have a packed resume (third in class, law review, firm experience, leadership roles on campus, pro bono experience, fed. judicial experience, ext.) I don't event think it's possible to keep mass mailing because I literally have done it all since early July.

My question is idk what to do next. Where should I look next for good experience and preferably something that leads to a job. I feel defeated and like my resume is a joke to any serious employer. What should I do and where should I apply after ruling big law out?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Do I Accept Defeat, if not where do i look?

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:16 pm

This is a total spitball answer, so please do not do this without fully investigating it. But if you are absolutely, 100% deadset on big law outcome, consider taking a leave of absense from your current school for the remainder of this semester and next semester, and then attempt to transfer next summer. Third in the class, even a t4 should get some bites.

Again, not sure if this is even possible, but might be worth looking into.

Aside from that, just do what you have been doing re: Networking, except do it to firms in the law school's geographic area; attempt to get a part time gig during the semester, etc. In other words, just don't stop until you have a job -- it might take til the bar exam or slightly thereafter, but if you put the work in, something will fall into your lap.

Prana-9

New

Postby Prana-9 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:19 pm

Apply to clerkships (i.e., state), and network, network, network.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:03 pm

I don't think taking a leave is an option just cause of student loans. When do you start applying to clerkships as a 2L? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've literally had no direction and TLS has been where I found out how to mass mail as a 1L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:04 pm

And-- if it wasn't big law. Where do you think is the next best option? How would I find out where to apply to places and when?

Jchance

Silver

Postby Jchance » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:07 pm

Prana-9 wrote:network, network, network.

this and then do some more.

kapital98

Silver

Postby kapital98 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:26 pm

Networking is crucial.

Continue to get experience. Take every internship you can get. Preferably ones that will give you hands on experience with practical matters that you'd face in your first year of practice. Employers, especially at small firms, want people who can start doing work on day 1. They want to do as little training as possible.

It might suck but just keep at it. If you have to, do temp work to make ends meet.

There is no promise of success but if you keep at it you'll have a much better shot.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Postby Mr. Archer » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:39 pm

Your school rank will unfortunately hurt your job prospects, and big law will most likely be a long shot. Broaden your search to other firms, government jobs, and clerkships. Networking will be key for you. Keep in touch with anyone you've worked with and get their advice on job opportunities. Attend bar events in your area to meet attorneys in practice areas of your interest and attorneys in general. Try to get in touch with alums from your school, especially ones at firms that interest you. If there is a judge who is an alum from your school, think about getting in touch about advice/an internship.

Also, instead of trying to transfer, which I don't think you can do at this point, look into being a visiting student for a semester or two. This won't change that you are getting your degree from a T4. But if you can visit at a much better school, that should at least give you some more options re: internships and networking. It will also be a way to get a better school on your resume'. I went to a T1 and knew someone who visited from a T3 for two semesters.

Prana-9

New

Postby Prana-9 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I feel defeated and like my resume is a joke to any serious employer.

Your resume is not a joke at all. There's a lot of competition out there. You just need to keep hustling.

If you continue to network and supplement your resume, you will find something. Yes, your school is low ranked, but you are at top of your class - which, notwithstanding the law school, it's a great accomplishment. You will always carry that on your resume.

Never succumb to defeat, you have already have done so much. Even if you end up in a crappy job, keep hustling, and try to find a better one. I know several people that started in bad legal positions and now have great jobs.

It's all about having the right perspective, never giving up, and taking it day by day.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:50 pm

kapital98 wrote:Networking is crucial.

Continue to get experience. Take every internship you can get. Preferably ones that will give you hands on experience with practical matters that you'd face in your first year of practice. Employers, especially at small firms, want people who can start doing work on day 1. They want to do as little training as possible.

It might suck but just keep at it. If you have to, do temp work to make ends meet.

There is no promise of success but if you keep at it you'll have a much better shot.

I agree, but with one caveat. I would go for every internship, part time job, etc., but once you find one that could possibly lead to full time employment, stick with it. A lot of small firms want someone they can trust (i.e. do work from day one), a source of that trust comes from you putting in 20-25 hours a week for 2-3 semesters + summers. A varied resume with tons of experience is viewed less favorably than one with one long term job, IMO.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:16 pm

Going to a T4 school put you out of the running from the get to. And you must have known that if you're on TLS. I'm not saying this to be cruel, but it's important that this sinks in: biglaw is not the path you chose. You won't be that lawyer, you'll be a different--and maybe better--kind of lawyer.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:19 am

jbagelboy wrote:Going to a T4 school put you out of the running from the get to. And you must have known that if you're on TLS. I'm not saying this to be cruel, but it's important that this sinks in: biglaw is not the path you chose. You won't be that lawyer, you'll be a different--and maybe better--kind of lawyer.

bingo.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:And-- if it wasn't big law. Where do you think is the next best option? How would I find out where to apply to places and when?

Go after mid-law firms in your area. See if you can get an internship during the year if you think it might help you. After that, it's just networking and trying with small firms or going all in on government.

As for clerkships, you can apply via OSCAR (for federal) and call the chambers of judges in your region who aren't on OSCAR to see if they accept applications. Also, talk to your school's OCS and see if they have a list of judges that have taken clerks from your schools. Those judges will be your best bet for a clerkship. Although, if you can find out which judges take interns on as full-time clerks, you might be able to swing it that way if there are judges in your area.

Can also go the state clerkship route. But that would help you more with mid-sized firms and small firms.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:22 am

lawman84 wrote:Can also go the state clerkship route. But that would help you more with mid-sized firms and small firms.

This may still be your best bet, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:02 am

Yes I knew it was a long shot, but would hate myself if I didn't try. It was actually getting callbacks that got my hopes up lol. I really appreciate all the feedback and will definitely start looking into clerkships and mid-level law firms. The networking is definitely huge. Seriously appreciated this everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:23 pm

It's not over for big law. From now until graduation there will be random 1-of full time job postings and summer associate listings. Keep your grades up, keep networking, and keep applying.

I know a significant number of people who got big law without a SA.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's not over for big law. From now until graduation there will be random 1-of full time job postings and summer associate listings. Keep your grades up, keep networking, and keep applying.

I know a significant number of people who got big law without a SA.

It's not the timing, it's the school.

Return to “Legal Employment�