3L MassMailing: If a firm responds, say you're available as early as TOMORROW?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L MassMailing: If a firm responds, say you're available as early as TOMORROW?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:22 pm

So you don't get into the position of scheduling a screener a week or 10 days out only to have that screener cancelled because they've filled the position in that period?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: 3L MassMailing: If a firm responds, say you're available as early as TOMORROW?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:36 pm

Yes?

You seem to understand the advantage to interviewing as early as possible, so what is your question?

Anonymous User

Re: 3L MassMailing: If a firm responds, say you're available as early as TOMORROW?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:41 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Yes?

You seem to understand the advantage to interviewing as early as possible, so what is your question?

Well I always understood earlier > later, but I never had an interviewer go "how's a week from now?...[a week later] actually, nvm, we've filled our hiring needs, thanks for playing."

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:48 pm

Are you the same anon as in the other scheduling thread? I don't know what you're not getting. You don't explicitly say "how 'bout tomorrow?" when you're scheduling, but yes, you should feel them out and take the earliest time they propose.

It's getting close to Halloween, man. Quit playing games and take advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:30 pm

cron1834 wrote:Are you the same anon as in the other scheduling thread? I don't know what you're not getting. You don't explicitly say "how 'bout tomorrow?" when you're scheduling, but yes, you should feel them out and take the earliest time they propose.

It's getting close to Halloween, man. Quit playing games and take advice.

Obviously I wouldn't say "how about tomorrow." Can I just say "Any time over the next X weeks, any day of the week" or would that make me look too available & desperate, as if I have nothing going on and am just lounging around M-F?

I'm just still mad at the possibility that a worthless resume-stuffing gig might've cost me this lead. I would've quit it in a heartbeat if quitting would've given me a 5% chance at landing this position.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:34 pm

It's not dating. Looking too available and desperate isn't really a thing.

But you can also just say "my schedule is open, when were you thinking of?", you don't have to list every day that you're available.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:44 pm

"What happened to that candidate you called the other day, Johnson?"

"Ugh, they said they were available starting tomorrow. Gross."

"Shit, yeah, screw that. What a loser."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:00 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:"What happened to that candidate you called the other day, Johnson?"

OK so give me something to work with here. You're saying that, even if I'm fully free on Fri, Oct. 14, I should avoid including the very next day as one of the days I'm available so as to not be a gross loser? That I should begin w/ "I'm available beginning Mon Oct. 17..."?

AZ123

New

Postby AZ123 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 pm

"I'm available tomorrow at any time. I'm also available next week any day after 1 o'clock." Or whatever your availability may be. Don't overthink things, just tell them what your availability is.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:"What happened to that candidate you called the other day, Johnson?"

OK so give me something to work with here. You're saying that, even if I'm fully free on Fri, Oct. 14, I should avoid including the very next day as one of the days I'm available so as to not be a gross loser? That I should begin w/ "I'm available beginning Mon Oct. 17..."?

He's really really not saying that. His point is that the conversation above would never ever happen and no one is going to read weird things like this into when you're available.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:31 pm

Like Nony said, you ask them when they're planning on bringing people in, and say you're excited to meet in person. 99% of the time they'll give you a couple of options. Pick the earliest of the options.

/thread

Return to “Legal Employment�