How is practicing better than Law School?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: How is practicing better than Law School?

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:38 am

rpupkin wrote:
zot1 wrote:Practice is better than law school for some. I own my evenings and weekends instead of worrying about homework. I have control of how I spend my time within reason. What I do is far more interesting than anything in law school. I get paid to learn things instead of actively going into debt.

But to answer the question, neither is better. They both suck.

I don't understand the bolded at all. I had *way* more control over my time when I was in law school. And if you're working at a firm, your whole life is homework. You're never free of responsibility and obligation.

There are good things about practicing. I like getting paid. And there are times when I find the work more interesting than law school. But in terms of quality of life, it's just no contest: law school was paradise.

Agreed.

The best thing to be said about practicing vis a vis law school is that you're making money rather than burning it. But school was aight yo

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:56 am

jbagelboy wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
zot1 wrote:Practice is better than law school for some. I own my evenings and weekends instead of worrying about homework. I have control of how I spend my time within reason. What I do is far more interesting than anything in law school. I get paid to learn things instead of actively going into debt.

I don't understand the bolded at all. I had *way* more control over my time when I was in law school. And if you're working at a firm, your whole life is homework. You're never free of responsibility and obligation.

There are good things about practicing. I like getting paid. And there are times when I find the work more interesting than law school. But in terms of quality of life, it's just no contest: law school was paradise.

Agreed.

The best thing to be said about practicing vis a vis law school is that you're making money rather than burning it. But school was aight yo

School was way more stressful for me than my (government) job is. I'm sure law school compared to biglaw is heaven though.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:01 am

zot1 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Agreed.

School was way more stressful for me than my (government) job is. I'm sure law school compared to biglaw is heaven though.

Sure is. Everyday I sit at my desk wishing I was back there.

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:07 am

This thread is founded on somewhat ridiculous grounds. Attending law school, especially as a 2L and 3L, is something like a 25 hour a week endeavor. Of course it's going to have aspects that are "better" than gainful employment that requires you to be constantly available. I challenge you to find another job that pays a stable $200k, for which you are qualified, and in which you work a fixed schedule.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:12 am

It's not. Who says this? If you took the advice on TLS, law school was 2 weeks of work per semester 1L year and maybe a week of work each semester the rest. I worked a 9-5 before law school and had way more free time as a student. Sure, the classes were boring, but corporate biglaw is far worse. At least as a law student you had hope for an interesting job. Once you start corporate biglaw you realize it's just mindless paperwork. I'm sure a rare few enjoy it, but it takes a particularly servile personality to not hate corporate biglaw.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:17 am

lawstoodent wrote:A lot of the things posters mentioned as the "pros" of practice, I cannot relate to.

I personally don't find the work meaningful or fulfilling in anyway. I don't think lives are impacted by what I do, so it feels just as arbitrary as law school. Only difference being I actually got feedback in law school and I had a clear goal (i.e., graduate).

Day to day, I'm struggling with how what I do even matters, even though on some level of course, it does. Just doesn't feel like it. I don't really socialize with anyone outside of work. Zero free time, of course. And worst of all, I don't really care about the money factor aside from paying off my loans.

Maybe I stepped into wrong profession...ha.

#rantover

Don't get me wrong, most of what I do isn't "making a difference." (Though some of my matters are either very important to individual people or have the particular attention of corporate clients, for various reasons.) But at least I'm doing something. Law school was primarily sitting in excruciating lectures for 20 hours a week.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:44 am

As you can tell, OP, the answer is going to differ depending on the person and where the person works.

I think you should use what people are saying here to guide what you want to do. I knew I wanted a work-life balance, to work in an environment that gave me a ton of responsibility early, and to pursue a legal career in pursuit of a cause I believe in. I also knew that you can't do that in biglaw, which meant my earning potential over my lifetime will be greatly diminished compared to my peers. I accepted that and acted accordingly. I cannot relate to what some posters in here posit, because they work unpredictable hours on projects that they find little meaning in. However, they do have financial flexibility that I don't, which can contribute to stress in difference ways.

There are pros and cons to whatever route you take

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:50 pm

zot1 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Agreed.

I would probably agree that school can get more stressful than working in a certain sense--at least thus far. Even in the private sector. The nature of the stress is different. But if you're someone that likes free time and freedom to choose your schedule, to travel, ect., then working (even in government) is stifling compared to school and a huge QOL downgrade.

Also, I wouldn't be so blase about working for the federal government versus firm life. Clerking can have repugnant hours and expectations. And if you're somewhere like SDNY US attorneys office, you will work hard and your hours will not differ that substantially from your biglaw peers uptown.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:57 pm

I was just constantly broke during law school so having any money at all (especially biglaw money) is better than having no money. I do miss hanging out at 3 pm on a Tuesday, but I feel that was less a function of law school and more of a function of being in my early-mid twenties.

whysooseriousbiglaw

New

Postby whysooseriousbiglaw » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's not. Who says this? If you took the advice on TLS, law school was 2 weeks of work per semester 1L year and maybe a week of work each semester the rest. I worked a 9-5 before law school and had way more free time as a student. Sure, the classes were boring, but corporate biglaw is far worse. At least as a law student you had hope for an interesting job. Once you start corporate biglaw you realize it's just mindless paperwork. I'm sure a rare few enjoy it, but it takes a particularly servile personality to not hate corporate biglaw.

Credited. I graduated top third from a T 14 doing like two weeks of work a semester....Law school was awesome but I generally love all kinds of school. Work (at least biglaw) is hell on earth. You biglaw first years are only one month in....wait until you are a midlevel. You will HATE every waking moment at work.

There have been many moments where I have contemplated going to med school because I'd likely have far more free time in med school and enjoy the work more than biglaw work. It doesn't get any better or easier the more senior you get....it just gets worse.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:50 am

I mean, yes, in general you have more free time in school (though those of us not at t14s/getting jobs through OCI before 2L even starts actually often have to work during 2L/3L), which is always nicer than less free time. But I much prefer getting paid, being the grownup, doing something meaningful, and having autonomy, compared to being in school and having to jump through other people's hoops (and I like studying and learning and writing, so it's not even that I minded the hoops; it's just that they were someone else's hoops).

hous

Bronze

Postby hous » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:23 am

You get money practicing and you give money in law school. [/thread]

notgreat

Silver

Postby notgreat » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:34 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
lawstoodent wrote:A lot of the things posters mentioned as the "pros" of practice, I cannot relate to.

I personally don't find the work meaningful or fulfilling in anyway. I don't think lives are impacted by what I do, so it feels just as arbitrary as law school. Only difference being I actually got feedback in law school and I had a clear goal (i.e., graduate).

Day to day, I'm struggling with how what I do even matters, even though on some level of course, it does. Just doesn't feel like it. I don't really socialize with anyone outside of work. Zero free time, of course. And worst of all, I don't really care about the money factor aside from paying off my loans.

#rantover

Don't get me wrong, most of what I do isn't "making a difference." (Though some of my matters are either very important to individual people or have the particular attention of corporate clients, for various reasons.) But at least I'm doing something. Law school was primarily sitting in excruciating lectures for 20 hours a week.

Maybe bl lawyers aren't changing the world, but there are consequences to what we do. If we fuck up a merger, even if it isn't a big one for our client, then they could end up paying someone when they wouldn't have to. It isn't existential and we are just functionaries, but there are consequences. The only consequence in school was my GPA. At least this is real.

lawstoodent

New

Postby lawstoodent » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:42 pm

hous wrote:You get money practicing and you give money in law school. [/thread]

Why is all about the money?

lawstoodent

New

Postby lawstoodent » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:44 pm

notgreat wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

#rantover

Maybe bl lawyers aren't changing the world, but there are consequences to what we do. If we fuck up a merger, even if it isn't a big one for our client, then they could end up paying someone when they wouldn't have to. It isn't existential and we are just functionaries, but there are consequences. The only consequence in school was my GPA. At least this is real.

Do you really care if your multi-billion dollar corporate client pays more than they have to?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:11 pm

I don't know if I'd care in the abstract, but I'd care if it was my fault.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:28 pm

lawstoodent wrote:
notgreat wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

#rantover

Do you really care if your multi-billion dollar corporate client pays more than they have to?

Frankly, no. Especially when they're the very institutions that have repeatedly fucked the economy and the average Joe. I care a lot more when I lose and my low income pro bono client who's been dicked around by government agencies doesn't get the $2k in benefits.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:43 pm

You all do realize that investment banks do not make up the entirety of biglaw clients?

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:53 pm

Stubs answering this question is kind of weird but 3Ls doing it is over the line and I will not stand for it

Tag tho

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:55 pm

You don't have to be morally invested in your clients to enjoy and take pride in doing your job well.

lawstoodent

New

Postby lawstoodent » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:51 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:You don't have to be morally invested in your clients to enjoy and take pride in doing your job well.

True. I take pride in getting kudos and doing my job well, but I just don't see the larger point. To me, it's almost as meaningless as getting an A on a made up brief for a legal writing class.

Like, cool I'm a good writer and didn't screw up, but who really cares and how does it matter? The answer is that it doesn't. And I honestly don't see how this is any different from the hoops we jumped through as law students to get here.

Granted I say all this as a first year.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:04 pm

lawstoodent wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:You don't have to be morally invested in your clients to enjoy and take pride in doing your job well.

True. I take pride in getting kudos and doing my job well, but I just don't see the larger point. To me, it's almost as meaningless as getting an A on a made up brief for a legal writing class.

Like, cool I'm a good writer and didn't screw up, but who really cares and how does it matter? The answer is that it doesn't. And I honestly don't see how this is any different from the hoops we jumped through as law students to get here.

Maybe you need a different job.

lawstoodent

New

Postby lawstoodent » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:13 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lawstoodent wrote:

Maybe you need a different job.

You may be right.

Return to “Legal Employment�