Is being let go during a probation period the same as being fired?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is being let go during a probation period the same as being fired?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:33 pm

While applying for jobs, do I need to indicate I was fired if I was let go from an employer during the probation period? The only reason given was that I was not a right fit for the company. It wasn't a legal position and the employment lasted only four months. Does this qualify as "being fired"? Or because it was during a probation period, does it not qualify as being fired? I haven't included this position on my resume as it wasn't a legal position. I feel if I check off the box that I was fired, no one would even read an explanation but just throw out my application immediately. So I would rather not check off the box that I was fired, since it was during the probation period. Advice? Thanks.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Re: Is being let go during a probation period the same as being fired?

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:While applying for jobs, do I need to indicate I was fired if I was let go from an employer during the probation period? The only reason given was that I was not a right fit for the company. It wasn't a legal position and the employment lasted only four months. Does this qualify as "being fired"? Or because it was during a probation period, does it not qualify as being fired? I haven't included this position on my resume as it wasn't a legal position. I feel if I check off the box that I was fired, no one would even read an explanation but just throw out my application immediately. So I would rather not check off the box that I was fired, since it was during the probation period. Advice? Thanks.

So long as you explain it, I don't think it would be the end of the world to not check the box.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:08 pm

Does the application literally just ask if you were "fired"? That seems oddly open to interpretation.

My two cents, you could fairly say you weren't fired. I would take that to mean terminated for cause, which you weren't. But if it asks more broadly about being involuntarily terminated or something, you'd probably have to fess up.

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:06 am

Was the probation period for a fixed period longer than 4 months and you were let go early? That sounds like fired. If the probation period was 4 months and they elected (or rather for interview purposes you and they mutually agreed) not to proceed further that sounds like not fired.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:34 am

It's for a federal government job.

During the last 5 years, have you been fired from any job for any reason, did you quit after being told that you would be fired, did you leave any job by mutual agreement because of specific problems, or were you debarred from Federal employment by the Office of Personnel Management or any other Federal agency? If "YES," use item 16 to provide the date, an explanation of the problem, reason for leaving, and the employer's name and address.

By checking yes, it will be the death of my application, won't it? Based on this question, do I have to check yes? Or because it was the end of the probation period and without cause, could I get by with checking "no" and if it comes up later, explain my reasoning behind it?

The probation period was for four months. I was let go just prior to the end of the probation period for not being a "right fit" with the company. It was not a legal position, but I feel my performance was more than satisfactory. I believe I was let go due to my manager's personal feelings towards me.

transferror

Silver

Postby transferror » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's for a federal government job.

During the last 5 years, have you been fired from any job for any reason, did you quit after being told that you would be fired, did you leave any job by mutual agreement because of specific problems, or were you debarred from Federal employment by the Office of Personnel Management or any other Federal agency? If "YES," use item 16 to provide the date, an explanation of the problem, reason for leaving, and the employer's name and address.

By checking yes, it will be the death of my application, won't it? Based on this question, do I have to check yes? Or because it was the end of the probation period and without cause, could I get by with checking "no" and if it comes up later, explain my reasoning behind it?

The probation period was for four months. I was let go just prior to the end of the probation period for not being a "right fit" with the company. It was not a legal position, but I feel my performance was more than satisfactory. I believe I was let go due to my manager's personal feelings towards me.

You have to say yes, and no it won't be the death of your application.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:43 am

Lying on an application to the federal government carries some serious penalties including jail time. Will they find out? Maybe, maybe not. Is lying worth the risk? I would say absolutely not.

Just explained what happened.

FWIW it's possible the people doing the hiring don't actually read that part of the application.

But yeah rule of thumb is disclose.

thegrayman

Silver

Postby thegrayman » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:03 pm

I would disclose given the question being asked, FWIW

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:23 pm

Did you get severance or was it just a clean "we aren't going to offer you the position, no need to finish out the remaining [X] days"?

The safest response to the question as posed is definitely to disclose, but I agree that there's a high percent change that responding in such a manner disqualifies you. Assuming you didn't get severance and additionally assuming the facts you've given are true (e.g. if your probationary employer were called and asked would they say you got fired or would they say it was a probationary period and they elected to not move forward) then I think it's not unreasonable to not disclose but to be candid if asked.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE CONSULT LOCAL LAWS ON WHAT BEING "FIRED" MEANS IN YOUR JURISDICTION

Return to “Legal Employment�