Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 314124
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:39 pm

I took a bunch of business law classes (M&A, Business Associations, Real Estate...) but I wasn't crazy about them although I got decent grades.

And I took Securities law class and love it. Can you recommend any practice group for me?

An obvious one is Capital Markets. I am naturally drawn to economic theories. Is there any way ON PAPER that I can convince that I am fit for Capital Markets practice?

Other than Capital Markets, can anyone recommend any other practice group for me? VC? PE? Anything related to economic theories for the market.

Any input would be really appreciated!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:53 pm

Are you a 3L? Did you go through OCI?

SFSpartan

Silver
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby SFSpartan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:54 pm

VC/Emerging Companies is more than just securities work. Things may be different at Biglaw firms, but I routinely deal with IP and employment issues in additional to more bread and butter corporate work. Can't speak to PE work, but my impression is that it's mostly cookie cutter deals (i.e. not much changes from deal to deal).

You should be able to get cap markets interviews if your grades are sufficient. The fact that you think otherwise makes me suspect that you either (i) haven't been on TLS for very long; or (ii) are a troll.

PMan99

Bronze
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby PMan99 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:00 pm

Securities lit and antitrust both fit the bill but as an associate you won't be dealing with any theory (or really as a partner). You'd need to be a prof to do what you want to do, I think.

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1680
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:29 pm

pancakes3 wrote:Are you a 3L? Did you go through OCI?


the really important question.

User avatar
nunumaster

Silver
Posts: 915
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby nunumaster » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:45 pm

Yea... you need to get hired to a big law firm. And they don't care about what you did in undergrad or what you think you know or don't know. If you're you're hired, and want to be in a corporate group like cap markets, they'll happily put you in it.

bwh8813

Bronze
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:21 pm

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby bwh8813 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:51 pm

Investment Management / Private Funds groups deal a lot in securities law. To many, it's not the sexiest of practice though, but I have heard it can lead to good in-house exit opportunities. Hedge Funds have been taking a beating of late, but dissolution also requires lawyers.

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:11 pm

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:22 pm

bwh8813 wrote:Investment Management / Private Funds groups deal a lot in securities law. To many, it's not the sexiest of practice though, but I have heard it can lead to good in-house exit opportunities. Hedge Funds have been taking a beating of late, but dissolution also requires lawyers.


Not much registered experience, but wouldn't registered do more? Not so much work in determining accredited, QP, 3(c)(1), 3(c)(7), etc.

And real answer is of course, no practice has much of anything to do with securities law, except for potentially litigation and being a professor. And hope OP plans on limiting his trading hobbies.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314124
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:55 am

bwh8813 wrote:Investment Management / Private Funds groups deal a lot in securities law. To many, it's not the sexiest of practice though,


Can you elaborate more on why it is not a popular practice? Clients are pickier and meaner? Most projects involve all-nighters?

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:25 pm

WhiteCollarBlueShirt wrote:
bwh8813 wrote:Investment Management / Private Funds groups deal a lot in securities law. To many, it's not the sexiest of practice though, but I have heard it can lead to good in-house exit opportunities. Hedge Funds have been taking a beating of late, but dissolution also requires lawyers.


And real answer is of course, no practice has much of anything to do with securities law, except for potentially litigation and being a professor. And hope OP plans on limiting his trading hobbies.


Not sure I agree with that. My firm does IPOs, often issuer side, and then works with the companies on their public company disclosures. I'm in the regulations all the time. Sure, there's a limited number of firms with a robust practice in this area but they certainly exist.

That being said, yeah, very difficult to maintain a trading hobby at any BL firm.

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1680
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bwh8813 wrote:Investment Management / Private Funds groups deal a lot in securities law. To many, it's not the sexiest of practice though,


Can you elaborate more on why it is not a popular practice? Clients are pickier and meaner? Most projects involve all-nighters?


Because it is incredibly technical and boring. IMO

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:11 pm

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:08 pm

oblig.lawl.ref wrote:
WhiteCollarBlueShirt wrote:
bwh8813 wrote:Investment Management / Private Funds groups deal a lot in securities law. To many, it's not the sexiest of practice though, but I have heard it can lead to good in-house exit opportunities. Hedge Funds have been taking a beating of late, but dissolution also requires lawyers.


And real answer is of course, no practice has much of anything to do with securities law, except for potentially litigation and being a professor. And hope OP plans on limiting his trading hobbies.


Not sure I agree with that. My firm does IPOs, often issuer side, and then works with the companies on their public company disclosures. I'm in the regulations all the time. Sure, there's a limited number of firms with a robust practice in this area but they certainly exist.

That being said, yeah, very difficult to maintain a trading hobby at any BL firm.


I'll defer to you on that, only ever done some blue chip capm work (so no new issues) and far from a focus, stick to alternatives industry generally (which after the first year or so has felt pretty light on the learning curve aside from AIFMD, registered agents, etc.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 314124
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:11 pm

In securities litigation senior associates/partners will work with the experts (profs) to fashion arguments about the securities markets for different stages of the case. Firms with big securities lit practices will also often be tagged to do amicus briefs in securities law cases so that's another way you might get to talk about "economic theories for the market" at a high level. But going into securities lit hoping to focus on the law at such a theoretical level is like trying to find a needle in a haystack full of shit (endless doc review and discovery.)

One other thing - many firms actively discourage frequent trading in individual stocks (no such bar to trading in ETFs/index funds). In fact my firm has rules in place that make it very difficult to trade in the shares of publicly-traded companies.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314124
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In securities litigation senior associates/partners will work with the experts (profs) to fashion arguments about the securities markets for different stages of the case. Firms with big securities lit practices will also often be tagged to do amicus briefs in securities law cases so that's another way you might get to talk about "economic theories for the market" at a high level. But going into securities lit hoping to focus on the law at such a theoretical level is like trying to find a needle in a haystack full of shit (endless doc review and discovery.)


Then what do associates in investment management practice actually do on a daily basis? For instance, researching filing requirements for an IPO and did the actual filing?

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:11 pm

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In securities litigation senior associates/partners will work with the experts (profs) to fashion arguments about the securities markets for different stages of the case. Firms with big securities lit practices will also often be tagged to do amicus briefs in securities law cases so that's another way you might get to talk about "economic theories for the market" at a high level. But going into securities lit hoping to focus on the law at such a theoretical level is like trying to find a needle in a haystack full of shit (endless doc review and discovery.)


Then what do associates in investment management practice actually do on a daily basis? For instance, researching filing requirements for an IPO and did the actual filing?


You're definitely conflating capital markets with IM - IM represents funds/manager typically in connection with fundraising and general management company-related issues; Capital Markets/Securities/etc. do public company offerings and new issues... with some overlap on perhaps with various registered fund offerings. As a lawyer your job is to do paperwork, legal research is generally rare (maybe a dedicated compliance lawyer would do more).

Blackfish

New
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:58 am

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby Blackfish » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:43 pm

.
Last edited by Blackfish on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314124
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:32 pm

double post
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314124
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:33 pm

So what would be a good practice for someone who likes the business/ finance/ securities side the law but also likes to research case law and write things other than ppms and lpas?

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:11 pm

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So what would be a good practice for someone who likes the business/ finance/ securities side the law but also likes to research case law and write things other than ppms and lpas?


I mean, you'd prob be better off in reorg or M&A and taking a pay hit to move to the business side when/if possible (I say hit cause you'll effectively lose your class year bumps)... distressed debt, litigation finance, an advisory reorg group, but you'll end up building slide decks all day. Law is risk management and word docs. I imagine you'd hate capital markets and investment management even though you're tangentially interested in asset management and public company stock picking.

Anonymous User
Posts: 314124
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Practice group for someone who loves Securities law?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:10 pm

What about more interesting capital markets work, like high yield/leveraged finance? Is this as boring if you're on the lender sider?

What about doing bank finance / credit agreements. How does that rank in boredom with investment management, cap markets, and the above.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.