Failed the bar... in danger? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rom10

New

Failed the bar... in danger?

Post by rom10 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:38 pm

Dear all,

I apologize in advance for what I know is going to be a weird and dumb question, but I can't find any material on past threads that offers me anything relevant to my situation. After graduating from law school into the Vale, I received an offer with a biglaw firm for practice in a different state than the one in which I was scheduled to take the bar. At the time, it was too late to switch bars, and the state which made me the offer does not allow first-years to be waived in. The firm didn't seem to mind, and told me to go ahead and take the bar I was scheduled for when I told them about this - they would allow me to take the bar in February.

By sheer bad luck, I came down with a horrible flu literally the day before I took the bar, tried my best to power through it, and I only just now found out that I failed. This bar is supposed to be significantly easier than the bar I will need to take in February. Is this an auto-fire, or is it possible that the firm will still allow me to take the February bar? I feel terrible, and I can't find anyone with a situation that's similar to mine. I would really like to know what TLS thinks, though. Any input would at least give me something to prepare for.

Again, sorry. I'm feeling really bad right now.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Re: Failed the bar... in danger?

Post by ArtistOfManliness » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:44 pm

rom10 wrote:Dear all,

I apologize in advance for what I know is going to be a weird and dumb question, but I can't find any material on past threads that offers me anything relevant to my situation. After graduating from law school into the Vale, I received an offer with a biglaw firm for practice in a different state than the one in which I was scheduled to take the bar. At the time, it was too late to switch bars, and the state which made me the offer does not allow first-years to be waived in. The firm didn't seem to mind, and told me to go ahead and take the bar I was scheduled for when I told them about this - they would allow me to take the bar in February.

By sheer bad luck, I came down with a horrible flu literally the day before I took the bar, tried my best to power through it, and I only just now found out that I failed. This bar is supposed to be significantly easier than the bar I will need to take in February. Is this an auto-fire, or is it possible that the firm will still allow me to take the February bar? I feel terrible, and I can't find anyone with a situation that's similar to mine. I would really like to know what TLS thinks, though. Any input would at least give me something to prepare for.

Again, sorry. I'm feeling really bad right now.
I think the difference between your situation and other situations about which there are threads is not a big deal. You won't be fired. It'll be okay. Who knows about failing February though...

rom10

New

Post by rom10 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:44 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence, AoM. I just wasn't a summer associate there, so I'm already feeling very behind the 8-ball. I am merrily certain that they won't allow me to skate if I fail in February - I will just have to do everything humanly possible to make sure that I do not.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:49 pm

It wasn't for the state where you'd be practicing so you're fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”